Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: War! huh! good god!  (Read 1495 times)
faringdingdong

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 13:02:17 »

I watched battle of Britain on DVD last night and was reminded, not only that it's a great piece of film making and storytelling but how much we have to be proud of in our country(ies) history.
People who are Dying as oap's now were our age 50-60 years ago and with thier passing we lose all first hand accounts and memories of some of the worlds most defining moments of the 20th century. It makes me wonder how my kids will feel compared to me about the sacrafices made on a scale such as in the 2 world wars, which is something we hope never to see again.
I don't really have a point here i suppose. It's just sad.

We wanna go somewhere else. We're not threatened by people anymore. All our insecurities have evaporated. We're in the clouds now. We're wide open. We're spacemen orbiting the earth. The world looks beautiful from here, man.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 13:09:06 »

I know what you're saying, programmes about the first and second war always make me wonder what the youth of today and future will think of it all.

Fair play to the older statesman hobbling around!!
faringdingdong

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 13:16:41 »

My Grandad died last year and he never talked about the war really, as i kid i would pester him to tell me stories and he didn't want to be 'morbid' as he put it. I know now how respectful that was of him, to his comrades and to the people he fought, who, in peacetime, he may very well have been friends with. there is alot of grace and dignity in the people of his age.

We wanna go somewhere else. We're not threatened by people anymore. All our insecurities have evaporated. We're in the clouds now. We're wide open. We're spacemen orbiting the earth. The world looks beautiful from here, man.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 13:28:34 »

Ours will probably one of the last generations to really know about the war. It's a great shame really, but imagine in 50 years time people talking about Afghanistan and Iraq - I wonder what they'll be saying about Bush and Blair.
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 13:40:56 »

What annoys me is the fact that yobbo's today don't care about these brave people that lived through all of this and fought for us when they are mugging them etc.

Most people who fought in the war, don't like to talk about it because it brings back horrible memories for them.  I help an 83 year old look after his horses, and he tells me the odd story.  He was in the Navy and he says he will never forget sending 3,000 men out from the ship to the shore only for them all to be blasted out of their boats.  All they could do was stand and watch, their friends and colleagues being blown up. He says that he was made to help fish the bodies out.  It must have been horrific.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 13:50:30 »

My great uncle was a Japanese Prisoner of war in Burma, treated like animals for a couple of years.  He never spoke about his suffering.  But during the 50th anniversary of VJ Day he had a bit of a breakdown in Hospital, I think it all came flooding back to the poor old soul.  He's still about though.  Just hope he's alright about it this year!!

My scottish Grandad was in the infantry in Asia too, doesn't speak about it either, apart from saying he's seen the things that he never thought humans was capable of doing to each other.

My other Grandad who died in 93, always used to tell me about the war, he was in the RAF in the Med and Africa, used to love hearing about his stories, but they were all funny ones about Aussies chucking Egyptians out of moving trains and such like.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 14:38:01 »

My Grandad would never talk about the War either,I suppose when you see all your mates getting shot and blown to peices it loses its appeal somewhat.

/
W56196272
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 14:43:00 »

My great grandad died when he was 98 back in 1992.
He was born in 1894 so featured in both world wars.

I remember he used to tell me of all the places he had been too. I think that during the second world war he featured more of home guard.
He also had a nasty scar on his right cheek and (whether it was true or not i don't care) he used to tell me it was a bullet that skimmed him. To be able to say to people that my grandad faught in both for his country made me proud.

Also he was a Swindon fan as he lived in Burford all his life. Surname was Rowles (not sure i spelt that right) and his family also owned the fair that was in Burford each year.

oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 16:05:01 »

Quote from: "STFCBird"
What annoys me is the fact that yobbo's today don't care about these brave people that lived through all of this and fought for us when they are mugging them etc.

damn criminals just don't have the moral boundaries they used to
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 16:55:25 »

it's all those people stealing for drugs money, huh OF?
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 19:44:49 »

bloody junkies the lot of 'em
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: