Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Farenheit 9/11  (Read 2682 times)
DMR

« on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 22:06:08 »

Anyone watching/seen it?

Rubbish. Utter crap in my humble opinion. Very tenuous links between things from Moore (who irritates the hell outta me) and blatant anti-Bush nihilistic shight that, if fairly presented, could add great weight to the fat boy's argument.

He also strikes me as very very racist.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 22:13:03 »

i didn't think it was very good at all, for the reasons you state.

very bias and by just offering some counter-arguments and then logically dismissing them, it would have added alot to his argument.

some of the things mentioned in the film such as all of bin ladens family boarding flights when otherwise the whole country was "grounded" are rubbish too, its just the way he's cleverly worded them.

if you cant make george bush look bad, then you must be pretty shit.
DMR

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 22:21:54 »

One think that irked me....

The whole Bush in the school as he got told about 9/11 unfolding. OK, not great action from George Dubbya but how the fuck would anyone know how to instantaneously react to that?

Michael Moore is clearly either very politically passionate or just very sad because Bush has pissed in his pint or whatever they drink over there. I suspect the latter.
Dazzza

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 22:40:20 »

Can't remember exactly but Moore actually helped Bush originally get in office.

He urged voters in one state to vote for a no-hoper candidate the swing in votes didn't effect the Bush candidate but his main opponent lost key votes and lost.  

The rest they say is history.

Amir

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 23:11:07 »

Do you mean Ralph Nader, Dazzza?  If so Moore actually didn't agree with him running in such a tight fought election(although he's long been a supporter of his), because he knew it would enivitably take votes from the Democrats.

very bias and by just offering some counter-arguments and then logically dismissing them, it would have added alot to his argument.

It is very biased, but the US media is by and large right leaning and rarely critical.  I would say Moore was trying to counterbalance this to a large extent, and that is why the film is so lopsided.  The fact that American politicians can be in such conflicts of interests without being forced out of them is unbelievable in my eyes.  In Britain the fact that there could be a conflict of interest is seen as a problem and resolved.  In America they let politicians get away with it unless wrong doing is proved.

some of the things mentioned in the film such as all of bin ladens family boarding flights when otherwise the whole country was "grounded" are rubbish too, its just the way he's cleverly worded them

Why is that?  Just wondering as I know he does twist things to his advantage(he's said so himself).
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 23:13:26 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
One think that irked me....

The whole Bush in the school as he got told about 9/11 unfolding. OK, not great action from George Dubbya but how the fuck would anyone know how to instantaneously react to that?

Michael Moore is clearly either very politically passionate or just very sad because Bush has pissed in his pint or whatever they drink over there. I suspect the latter.

Shocking but true, I agree with you David.  I like Michael Moore very much and  F9/11 is not a bad film but at times it's just really naive.  There's the bit in the film where he's taking the piss out of the countries who formed the alliance with the USA (countries like Romania and Costa Rica for example) and he ignores the fact that the UK (and let's face it, we ARE a major power) were part of that alliance.

My verdict:  Could have done MUCH better.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 23:15:19 »

Shit, I wanted to watch this but was out playing cricket and forgot to record it.  Sad
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 23:32:06 »

yes i did notice some of the tenuous links. However, what the film does highlight is how pointless the whole war in Iraq is and how ignorant people can be. Michael Moore has made very biased points, but lets not forget the overall picture - that the film is designed to open the eyes of Americans, and sometimes the only way is to hit them hard. This explains the bias and why the tenuous links in this film were made
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, January 27, 2005, 23:33:19 »

It's a good film as its cleverly done and for the most part it does what Michael Moore intended it to do.

It may be biased but he has some good points and a lot of what he's said is actually true. I think a motion was signed by members of their government and none of them actually read it.

It is extremely biased but George Bush is still a moron.

Bowling for Columbine's good aswell, but if you didn't like F9/11 then you probably wouldn't like that one..
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 00:05:37 »

amir, moore gave the impression that all flights were grounded and the bin ladens flew out of the country within hours. in fact, they departed separately over a period of a month after the grounding was first put in place.

there must be websites out there with a list of all the errors.
flammableBen

« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 01:01:21 »

If you've got an interest in the news then it's pretty obvious the way f9/11 is flawed, the same way it's obvious the crap that comes out of the amarican goverment is mostly flawed aswell. The American properganda machine is pretty bad, but it's a shame that michael moore had to go as far in the other direction, there is enough evidence out there to make a balanced film which critisies the war, US foriegn policy etc.

To back him up a bit though you have to remember the film was made for the american public, where the media IS (one of the few points he gets right) pretty biased. So there is a reason for such a sensationalist aproach.  Possibly...
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 09:18:22 »

Personally I enjoyed the docu-film.  I think Moore was trying to be over the top anti Bush.  I get the feeling that he had to be extremist to get his point across to the dumb ass americans who happen to believe everything Fox, USA Today and George W tell them.

I think there was a survey conducted in the build up to the war relating to 9/11, or 11/9 depending on which side of the pond your from, asking who was to blame for the attack.  Saddam came out on top - educated America eh?

The bit about the American firms getting involved in rebuilding Iraq was good too.  Great to see them like a fox in a farmers field eyeing up their next killing.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 11:07:09 »

I prefer Mark Thomas.

/
W56196272
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 11:10:09 »

oh who gives a fuck about them piss pot americans neway?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, January 28, 2005, 11:12:27 »

Quote from: "Rich"
oh who gives a fuck about them piss pot americans neway?

Erm, the rest of the world, that they are trying to "police".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: