Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Geraint Jones  (Read 3397 times)
DMR

« on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 10:36:54 »

everyone who thinks he should be dropped can fuck off

1. look at the catches he took this morning, tell me he can't keep
2. everyone makes mistakes
3. prior- dropped 2 sitters and couldn't buy a run in his ODI spell
4. read- better keeper but never done it at test level
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 12:04:10 »

Well i can fuck off then .....Jones is in the team to be able to bat as well as keep wicket, Prior has not been involved so i would expect him to be rusty ,Was he behind the stumps and wearing gloves? No, he wasnt. Jones is not the best wicket keeper in this country but probably the luckiest to keep his test place .

Sad to say, i must be on my way
SwindonStevo

« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 13:18:18 »

if anyone should be dropped it should ne ian bell.
DMR

« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 13:47:27 »

Quote from: "Foggy"
Well i can fuck off then .....Jones is in the team to be able to bat as well as keep wicket, Prior has not been involved so i would expect him to be rusty ,Was he behind the stumps and wearing gloves? No, he wasnt. Jones is not the best wicket keeper in this country but probably the luckiest to keep his test place .

Whose going to come in then? Prior's not a keeper either, he's a batter who keeps the same as Jones.
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 13:51:51 »

If Prior is a batter who keeps the same as Jones then surely you play Prior ?

DMR

« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 13:56:46 »

No you don't... Prior's had a chance in recent ODI games and looked well out of his depth, Jones has got decent experience at this level now.

If you want a gloveman then you pick Read. However, this isn't viable for any team anymore... so you pick the strongest batter. Which is Jones.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 14:02:17 »

Yeah but Dave you said that this other fella keeps the same as Jones but is a "batter".  Which would suggest the only difference between the two is that this other bloke can bat.  You've defeated your own arguement.
DMR

« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 14:06:05 »

I just didn't phrase it well then... Jones is in the side fundamentally because he is a batsman who can keep, rather than a 'keeper who can chuck the blade about. Prior would be the same sort of pick... hence you've got to pick the better batsman, who I feel is Jones. He gets lots of stick... he was one of the key members of our good run and for all his "howlers" we still won the Ashes... he hardly made the difference between winning and losing in Pakistan and he's played a huge part in setting up an England win in Bombay with top draw keeping today.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 15:17:39 »

Saw some of the Ashes series last year and wasn't impressed with Jones' glovework. Looked to be a poor wicket keeper who could bat a bit. Having said that I think I would class him as a below average (suspect technique)immature (throwing his wicket away under pressure) batsman.  

Since we were talking about his keeping, I would add that its a good job we don't have a classy spinning attack as Jones would be more bamboozled than the batsmen ! Can you imagine him keeping to Warne or Murli ?

NMH

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 15:20:00 »

So then ,Jones is the better Batsman..Really ? Since he has been part of the set up ive seen him bat well on two or three occasions.He attempts to  play shots that top order batters would struggle to make and then gives up his wicket cheaply .Not good enough in my opinion.

larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 15:49:16 »

I think between Prior and Jones i would choose Jones,the real issue for me is that the best English wicket keeper is Read and not Jones so he is the bloke who should be wearing the gloves.Fair enough, Jones had a good day today, but it doesn't happen enough to justify his constant inclusion in the side and as for his batting  :-))( The odd double figure score shouldn't make him the automatic choice....unless he can keep on keeping wicket like he did today which of course i hope he can,but it seems unlikely.Read should be given another chance,Jones has had a long enough time to establish himself and he hasn't done it.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 16:30:29 »

Surely the fact he's been the England keeper for wuite a while means in itself that he HAS established himself?

People just always complain and think they know better when something goes wrong whether it be cricket, football or erm...swimming!

Just accept that the guys who pick the team know what they are doing and be grateful we're a decent side!
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 16:59:09 »

Just accept that the guys who pick the team know what they are doing and be grateful we're a decent side

But think how much more 'decent' the side would be with a good rather than an average wicket - keeper in it.
As you said though the powers that be seem to have decided that Jones is going to keep wicket,so we will just have to except it i guess :-))(

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 19:55:45 »

i agree with Dave totally! people seem to ignore the guy when he does something good but when he makes a mistake he "should be dropped" totally unfair! i feel sorry for the bloke tbh!
DMR

« Reply #14 on: Monday, March 20, 2006, 20:53:32 »

Quote from: "Foggy"
So then ,Jones is the better Batsman..Really ? Since he has been part of the set up ive seen him bat well on two or three occasions.He attempts to  play shots that top order batters would struggle to make and then gives up his wicket cheaply .Not good enough in my opinion.

But Prior is not a superior option... he's failed in his one day spell, didnt get past 45 in his run in the side and averages well below 40 in first class cricket. If he was rattling them up at 60 an innings and banging on the door, but he's not.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: