Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Driving tests  (Read 10033 times)

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 18:05:05 »

Quote from: "jim"
Quote from: "arriba"
if your turning right you signal right.
basics i'm afraid.
better luck next time

So, no other traffic, no pedestrians, still signal right?

Wrong!

Bad practice.  if you do it by autopilot it just becomes a habit and so doesn't prove that you have actually assessed the hazard properly.

That is one thing that is very bad about being 'taught to pass the test'.

what the fuck are you on about,of course you indicate right when turning right, traffic or not.if you dont indicate when necessary during your test then you are bound to fail as he did.
he didn't assess the hazard properly as he didn't indicate when needed.
Dazzza

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 18:19:34 »

My instructor agrees with Jim.  You don't indicate in a test if there's no traffic or pedestrians to benefit from it.

Supposed to show that you've checked and made the assessment.  Not an outright fail offence if you do but he thinks it can go against you.

Got me a bit at first as well.

oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 18:40:22 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"
I'm sure they don't have quotas.  If you're good enough, you pass. Simple.
naah i think they do, or at least have targets. i remember reading about it because alot of people were having a go at the dvla because, as you say, it should just be whether you're good enough or not.
jim

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 18:49:28 »

basics i'm afraid.
better luck next time

Wrong!

Bad practice.  if you do it by autopilot it just becomes a habit and so doesn't prove that you have actually assessed the hazard properly.

what the fuck are you on about,of course you indicate right when turning right, traffic or not.if you dont indicate when necessary during your test then you are bound to fail as he did.
he didn't assess the hazard properly as he didn't indicate when needed.

You are just plain wrong.  If there is no one there to see your signal, for who's benefit are you doing it?  Part of the hazard is the other traffic.  In assessing the hazard you will take the traffic or lack of it into account.  No other traffic, no need to signal.

Now, if you say that you signal otherwise you fail your test - that's a different matter - but it's still not right.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 18:53:05 »

can we all drive around like nutters when there's no-one to see us?

i'm going out ragging it at 3am then.
jim

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 18:58:18 »

Quote from: "oxford_fan"
can we all drive around like nutters when there's no-one to see us?

i'm going out ragging it at 3am then.

As long as you assess the hazards.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 19:00:21 »

What if there is a hazard you cannot see? Like a pedestrian in the dark. Although you may not see them, signalling would be useful. Unless it's a pikey.
Dazzza

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 19:11:41 »

In a recent reply you said that indicators should always be used "when it would help or warn others". Would you agree, therefore, that there is no need to indicate left when exiting a motorway if this can be done without reducing speed? This might also deter a driver in the middle lane who is contemplating moving back to the inside lane from suddenly doing so.
D.G., Haywards Heath

Indicating is simply the best way to inform other road users of our intentions in good time. However, if there are no other road users or nobody would benefit from a signal, why give it? The level of visual awareness required to be sure that no other cars are present is beyond most learners, so they are instructed to indicate at all times. As we gain experience - and, hopefully, greater skill and awareness - we are better able to decide whether indicating would help or warn other road users. As far as exiting motorways is concerned, if you think that other road users would benefit from your signal, then make it. If you are absolutely sure there is nobody around, don't. As a basic rule, it is better to signal if you have even the slightest doubt about the prevailing traffic situation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2001/07/27/emrip28.xml

DMR

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, March 1, 2006, 19:14:59 »

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, I was taught to only signal when necessary.

Don't take it too hard mate, remember if you're instructors put you there then you're good enough.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, March 2, 2006, 10:13:47 »

basics i'm afraid.
better luck next time

Wrong!

jim.that aint the way i was taught and i have done 3 tests,car, ridgid lorry and artic.
i was always told to indicate when necessary regardless of what is on the road,it is not always possible to see everything.
so you make you signal before commencing the manoeuvre.say you asses the situation and see no traffic or pedestrians and start the manoeuvre, spot another vehicle then either indicate or not bother it would go against you in a test.
even if nobody is to see the signal it is still a good habit to get in and should eventually become automatic.a driver could asses a situation wrongly and not bother to indicate and could cause confusion to somebody else or possibly an accident.so indicate if turning.always.people that dont indicate are bad drivers in my opinion.and the lad rightly failed his test.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, March 2, 2006, 10:17:39 »

Quote from: "dazzza"
My instructor agrees with Jim.  You don't indicate in a test if there's no traffic or pedestrians to benefit from it.

Supposed to show that you've checked and made the assessment.  Not an outright fail offence if you do but he thinks it can go against you.

Got me a bit at first as well.

so you indicate when turning.simple
no confusion then,driver benefits as it is a good habit.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, March 2, 2006, 10:23:45 »

Jesus, my mates 26, took him 7 years to pass his test!  Failed his theory twice and took his test numerous times...absolutely useless but hes still on the road!

My Mum snapped the indicator stick off in her test by accident as she was so nervous and still passed!
McLovin

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, March 2, 2006, 10:59:14 »

Talking of bad driving, i have my daily dose of a cunt calling me a wanker for using a filter lane last night. Big fuck off people carrier, trying to get up my exhaust pipe for 3 miles afterwards. I don't do violence, but had the dumbass prick made me get out of the car, i'd have bludgeoned him to death with a winscreen wiper.

THERE ARE FILTER LANES FOR A REASON, YOU FUCKING BELLEND!!!

Anyway... Oops
jim

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, March 2, 2006, 11:24:30 »

basics i'm afraid.
better luck next time

Wrong!

jim.that aint the way i was taught and i have done 3 tests,car, ridgid lorry and artic.
i was always told to indicate when necessary regardless of what is on the road,it is not always possible to see everything.
so you make you signal before commencing the manoeuvre.say you asses the situation and see no traffic or pedestrians and start the manoeuvre, spot another vehicle then either indicate or not bother it would go against you in a test.
even if nobody is to see the signal it is still a good habit to get in and should eventually become automatic.a driver could asses a situation wrongly and not bother to indicate and could cause confusion to somebody else or possibly an accident.so indicate if turning.always.people that dont indicate are bad drivers in my opinion.and the lad rightly failed his test.

Its simple then - you were taught wrong.  

if you signal automatically then there's no guarantee that you have seen and assessed what is going on.  You signal in order to give information to other road users rather than to pass a test.

For what its worth, I was taught to drive in the police and thats their method - good enough for me.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, March 2, 2006, 11:33:22 »

and coppers are great drivers that abide by the law,bollocks.i passed all my tests so i was taught wrong?ok.
your point is valid but to indicate you have obviously assesed the situation or you wouldn't indicate.you dont signal automcatically but if a turn is to be made a signal is required.
also you give signals to give info and to pass a test as the original poster of this thread found out and failed!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: