Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Andy King to Northampton  (Read 14405 times)
Bosey

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 21:40:16 »

Gurney was shit! Scored a few good free kicks but other than that everything he did was awful!

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 01:25:28 »

Fat waster. No professional sportsman should be allowed to let themselves slip to that state. That's an insult to the fans.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 01:27:20 by The Moonraker » Logged
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 10:58:27 »

Liked Gurney, never afraid to get stuck in.

Liked King, best post match interviews in my era of supporting Town.  My 2nd favourite cigar smoker in sports after Jimenez.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 11:55:58 »

I didn't mind Kingy, he brought some good players to the CG. (And a few lousy ones, it has to be said).

Andy King> Maurice Malpas > Paul Hart

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
DMR

« Reply #34 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 12:04:16 »

I will fight anyone who says he's a shit manager. 

STFC Legend.  Thoroughly enjoyed the years of management, some shit, some brilliant, never dull.

This.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Ben Wah Balls was right all along.
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 12:06:49 »

King's teams always tried to play good football.  I liked this.  The playoff team, with the likes of Parkin, Mooney, Igoe and Howard played some great stuff.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 13:42:46 »

Gurney was great and got to know him well and shared a few laughs.

He was a hard bastard but his Brother another story........A nutter you would not mess with. Did some time
......and had an interesting incident with another of the players at the time (and not Hewlett) for obvious reasons.

In fact the Gurney Brothers were not welcome at Swindon after both incidents. Smiley

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 13:50:44 »

Was on the phone to Kingy last night. Still talks about his time at Swindon and looking forward to being back in football.

Will be meeting him again at the Cobblers game in a few weeks.

Yes he had his issues, particularly the after match interviews which his good Mum used to tell him off !! but has remained a friend since he was Manager at Swindon. Not a year passes without a Christmas card exchange and Ian Woan once said Kingy is a loyal bloke and once you know him will remain a friend.
Have great memories with Kingy probably the most notable one being in his office after the 1-1 Hartlepool game where we made the play offs. Was drinking in his office in fact drinking lots out of the fridge.
In his time he introduced me to Ossie Ardiles, Micky Hazard and Cyril Regis so you won't hear me knocking him as a mate.

One of the "old school" football types and a legend in the blue half of Liverpool.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 14:37:55 »

Gurney was great and got to know him well and sharedi a few laughs.

He was a hard bastard but his Brother another story........A nutter you would not mess with. Did some time
......and had an interesting incident with another of the players at the time (and not Hewlett) for obvious reasons.

In fact the Gurney Brothers were not welcome at Swindon after both incidents. Smiley

Cant tell half a story, who was it?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 16:00:22 »

bloody namedroppers Smiley
Barry Scott

« Reply #40 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 16:26:45 »

I always had a soft spot for Kingy. I loved the team's ability to come back under him. I said in the Play off season under Wilson (after it being pointed out that once we go behind we never win) that I've never seen a manager so able to go behind and turn it around in quite the same fashion.

The journey was an entertaining roller coaster under King and showed me everything that football is about. There were some truly memorable games under King that will live long in the memory. Wilson was undoubtedly a better manager, but I don't think I'll remember many of his games apart from the play off at Charlton.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 16:28:56 »

Fat waster. No professional sportsman should be allowed to let themselves slip to that state. That's an insult to the fans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/15985725.stm

maybe this answers the question why akinfenwa is still playing for Northampton.

The Rugby Football League has confirmed Northampton Town FC will enter a team in the semi-professional Championship One competition from 2013.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 16:47:39 »

I always had a soft spot for Kingy. I loved the team's ability to come back under him. I said in the Play off season under Wilson (after it being pointed out that once we go behind we never win) that I've never seen a manager so able to go behind and turn it around in quite the same fashion.

The journey was an entertaining roller coaster under King and showed me everything that football is about. There were some truly memorable games under King that will live long in the memory. Wilson was undoubtedly a better manager, but I don't think I'll remember many of his games apart from the play off at Charlton.

The majority of the players were also loyal to him as well. After the sacking at Swindon for a brief time he owned a pub in Flitwick and invited me to the initial opening.
Full of ex pro's Mick Harford, Brian Stein - ex Luton Lads with Sol Davis at the time a current Luton player.
But Sam Parkin and Matty Haywood also came along and Super Sam would never have a bad word said about Kingy.
He also bought in the calibre of players like Tommy Mooney and James Milner.

That Virgo header at Brighton...........................If only we kept the ball up field for another 30 seconds. Remember Kingy's tears after that game.

Then the dreaded budget cuts and the playing budget was drastically cut.

Sturrocks wage bill at Swindon was double than Kingys in that play off season - Amazing.

PS - The Come back vs Sheffield Wednesday at the CG - 2-0 down and won 3-2 with a Fallon winner was memorable.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, December 2, 2011, 19:40:20 »

Was on the phone to Kingy last night. Still talks about his time at Swindon and looking forward to being back in football.

Will be meeting him again at the Cobblers game in a few weeks.

i cannot believe that people are talking about Kingy in the same breath as Malpas and that useless cunt Hart!

I remember Kingy at Leeds that night asking for Leeds fans for a light...magic!

Yes he had his issues, particularly the after match interviews which his good Mum used to tell him off !! but has remained a friend since he was Manager at Swindon. Not a year passes without a Christmas card exchange and Ian Woan once said Kingy is a loyal bloke and once you know him will remain a friend.
Have great memories with Kingy probably the most notable one being in his office after the 1-1 Hartlepool game where we made the play offs. Was drinking in his office in fact drinking lots out of the fridge.
In his time he introduced me to Ossie Ardiles, Micky Hazard and Cyril Regis so you won't hear me knocking him as a mate.

One of the "old school" football types and a legend in the blue half of Liverpool.

Clems Army!
Coca Fola

« Reply #44 on: Friday, December 2, 2011, 19:58:20 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/15985725.stm

maybe this answers the question why akinfenwa is still playing for Northampton.

Two birds with one boulder.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: