Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: And it begins  (Read 73894 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Thursday, May 23, 2013, 22:45:00 »

Absolutely right. But Aden Flint isn't Gordon Greer. So I'm not sure what your point is? Flint isn't as important to our squad as Greer was and definitely isn't captain material (at least not yet). He also hasn't got the wealth of experience Greer had. If we do struggle next season it won't be because we sold Flint.

Aden Flint is a solid regular first team player. As was Greer.

People said Greer was easily replaceable - it took us 2 and a half years to sign Darren Ward.

No, Flint is not as important to us as Greer but right now Flint is still our first choice centre half and selling him will have a negative effect on our first 11.

The key is of course in the replacement. In the last couple of years we've replaced Matt Ritchie with no one. Charlie Austin with Elliot Benyon, Sean Morrison with no one. Billy Paynter with Vincent Pericard and Gordon Greer with Andy Frampton - all downgrades, so I won't hold my breath...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 07:50:44 »

No, Flint is not as important to us as Greer but right now Flint is still our first choice centre half and selling him will have a negative effect on our first 11.

Really? I would place Ward above him everytime purely for his footballing brain and organisation. Flint is (like a number of centre halves we have had in the last few years) a very good player when he has a brain next to him, a little like Ifil (albeit better).
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 07:56:36 »

Surely Ward and Flint are both first choices as things stand, we generally play with 2 centre backs. I know we haven't seen much of TAH, but thus far he has looked more limited than Flint.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #318 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:06:08 »

If TAH can stay fit I think he'll be as good as Flint.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:08:36 »

Unfortunately Ward is now 35, so he's going to start creaking soon. Hopefully his diet of eating pine cones or whatever he does will keep his body going that bit longer. We are certainly going to need him!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:09:59 »

Really? I would place Ward above him everytime purely for his footballing brain and organisation. Flint is (like a number of centre halves we have had in the last few years) a very good player when he has a brain next to him, a little like Ifil (albeit better).

Well, as we have play with two centre halves we are going to need someone in alongside Ward.

Unless you think Joe Dev....nevermind!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #321 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:10:16 »

Seem to remember us getting Aden Flint to replace Morrison, no?
Flashheart

« Reply #322 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:10:35 »

If TAH can stay fit I think he'll be as good as Flint.

I think he'll be better.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:15:39 »

We will need 3 centre backs though, so room for Flint and TAH in squad.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:16:58 »

Well we must have splashed out on TAH for a good reason I suppose. J devera was shaky in his first month or two. I am not writing him off yet.

It's all academic anyway. It would be a major surprise to keep flint given he wants out. At least we are trying to do out on our terms.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:25:07 »

Well we must have splashed out on TAH for a good reason I suppose. J devera was shaky in his first month or two. I am not writing him off yet.

Exactly. He's only played about half a dozen times, and some of those in midfield. Devera is a good comparison I think in terms of being a bit patient with him.

He won Exeter's player of the season for a reason.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 08:43:16 »

Exactly. He's only played about half a dozen times, and some of those in midfield. Devera is a good comparison I think in terms of being a bit patient with him.

He won Exeter's player of the season for a reason.

Because the rest of their squad was utter gash?

Joking aside, I thought TAH was excellent when I saw him on the TV against Brighton, have only seen him once after that, playing in midfield, which was carcrash viewing as has been mentioned before.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:27:25 »

Because the rest of their squad was utter gash?

Joking aside, I thought TAH was excellent when I saw him on the TV against Brighton, have only seen him once after that, playing in midfield, which was carcrash viewing as has been mentioned before.

Yeah, pre-season and against Brighton, TAH was good. I can only imagine he'll be better with Ward alongside. I think the observation that Town defences have been good when we have one 'shouter' and one 'doer' is pretty accurate.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 12:50:50 »

Aden Flint is a solid regular first team player. As was Greer.

People said Greer was easily replaceable - it took us 2 and a half years to sign Darren Ward.

The key is of course in the replacement. In the last couple of years we've replaced Matt Ritchie with no one. Charlie Austin with Elliot Benyon, Sean Morrison with no one. Billy Paynter with Vincent Pericard and Gordon Greer with Andy Frampton - all downgrades, so I won't hold my breath...

The most irritating part about Frampton was we had already purchased Flint and either wasn't playing him or we'd loaned him back to his old club or something wasn't it?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Friday, May 24, 2013, 12:56:07 »

TAH looked absolutely class on the four or five occasions I saw him (at CB) Admittedly not the best footballing centre-back I have ever seen but he has all the attributes.

I think his reputation took a bit of a hit by Paolo trying to turn him in to the next Yaya Toure which backfired spectacularly.

If he can stay fit, he'll be a big player for us....but that's a huge if.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: