Pages: 1 ... 552 553 554 [555] 556 557 558 ... 856   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1254042 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8310 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 09:11:58 »

I think it a decent attempt at a pilot event to see what interest there is and it's obvious by this thread that it is not aimed at the majority of the miserable old cunts on here, in fact it's probably not aimed at football fans full stop, just happens to be at a football stadium and losely linked as a pre Euros party.

I probably won't be going even though I am a fan of Moyles and a fan generally of decent cover bands, but if it gives local people an easy chance of a day out to listen to some music and be somewhat entertained then why not.  Fuck me, a good portion of people on here will happily pay £27 to be disapointed and unentertained for 90 mins every week. 

I hope it goes well and they learn a lot from it.  The club has got so much wrong in the past few years but this idea is well down the list of things they should be criticised for.

As a cynic when I first read about this I thought it sounded terrible. But when I sat back and thought about it more, I think the club have probably pitched it about right. Clearly we were never going to be able to get bands in time as they have long had their tours sorted for next year, but I think given it's the Euros in the summer and with Euro 96 along with the music of that time remaining popular amongst the generations, I don't think what they've gone for is the worst thing in the world. We have an annual small festival in the town I live (circa population 25k) which consists of a day of local musicians and cover bands and it's always very well received.

Given there is a 90's theme, I would have liked to have maybe seen more effort to try and do something with one of more of the ex-Swindon footballers from that era. I'm sure if you could get say a trio of ex-Town players to do a meet and greet/signing session it would definitely put a few more bums on seats.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8311 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 09:36:16 »

No matter what the club do or try some are pre-conditioned to dismiss it.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #8312 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 09:40:57 »

It is pretty unclear what level of risk STFC are open to here.

Have they literally just rented out the venue to the promoters? It seems from the posters to be different promoters each night, which suggests that they haven't and STFC are possibly on the hook for the concert infrastructure across the two events and therefore have more risk than they might otherwise have done.

They probably won't be building a separate stage on the Sunday, so it will be the same stage for both events you would think.

Have STFC got the pouring rights for these events? In other words, do they take the bar money? An all day "festival" like the tribute day could be good from that perspective.

Concerts are a perfectly good idea but no one wants loss making events that impact the playing budget, such as it is...

Don't forget this shitshow: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-23487178

Weather is a massive factor here too. Both of these events will have a much more casual attendee than your average concert. If the weather is great, what better thing to do on a Sunday than rock up to the CG, have a few ciders and listen to some great tribute bands. If the weather is bad...

Plenty of clubs that we would consider well run have dabbled in this area and got their fingers burned too.

And for the people saying "this isn't for us" they literally polled STFC fans before putting these events on.

I really hope that it works but in the words of John McGreal...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 09:46:18 by Mooneyraker » Logged
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #8313 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 09:56:06 »

Peterborough have been running concerts at London Road for several years, to be fair they have generally been better known acts but have been well supported.

They’ve had Elton John, Steps, Tom Jones & Craig David that I can remember.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #8314 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 09:56:35 »

The poll thing was quite interesting. They clearly got a good level of response - I was one of the 3,500 that responded but had absolutely no intention of going - but they didn't actually say that they have listened to what people wanted and arranged something kind of in line with the majority. If they get anything north of 3k going, I think they will have done well.

I assume the 4-5k break even point I saw mooted is accumulated over the 2 days?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8315 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 09:59:30 »

I assume the 4-5k break even point I saw mooted is accumulated over the 2 days?

Actually he didn't specifically say that was breakeven. Pointing out as I don't want that figure used to beat the club up with.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #8316 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 10:00:48 »

Sorry yes fair point Batch.

molepar

Ignore
« Reply #8317 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 10:15:02 »

As a cynic when I first read about this I thought it sounded terrible. But when I sat back and thought about it more, I think the club have probably pitched it about right. Clearly we were never going to be able to get bands in time as they have long had their tours sorted for next year, but I think given it's the Euros in the summer and with Euro 96 along with the music of that time remaining popular amongst the generations, I don't think what they've gone for is the worst thing in the world. We have an annual small festival in the town I live (circa population 25k) which consists of a day of local musicians and cover bands and it's always very well received.

Given there is a 90's theme, I would have liked to have maybe seen more effort to try and do something with one of more of the ex-Swindon footballers from that era. I'm sure if you could get say a trio of ex-Town players to do a meet and greet/signing session it would definitely put a few more bums on seats.
Meet and greet does sound like a good idea, perhaps you could email commercial team and suggest that?
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #8318 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 10:22:00 »

Really good idea. Could even been tied into a hospitality package. Get some 90s STFC legends in there.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #8319 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 10:48:11 »

I’ve mellowed on the idea. It’s not for me but I don’t doubt there’s an audience for that kind of thing and I’m sure there’s potential to make money with that lineup

My main worry is if it’s being organised in house a) they haven’t really shown themseleves to be logistical high flyers in the last few years and b) is there a risk it takes focus away from other things the commercial department should be focussing on (like season tickets and next years sponsorship)

Certainly don’t want it to fail.

Things get better but they never get good
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #8320 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 10:57:50 »

No matter what the club do or try some are pre-conditioned to dismiss it.

We've done this before and the club lost money.

Its not people being miserable, its people pointing out the obvious.

A bit like everything else to do with the club at the moment.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8321 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 10:59:33 »

Get what you are saying Dave, but it does seem to be a package from an external company. I don't know but I suspect the logistics of it all will be handled by them.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #8322 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 11:03:29 »

Peterborough have been running concerts at London Road for several years, to be fair they have generally been better known acts but have been well supported.

They’ve had Elton John, Steps, Tom Jones & Craig David that I can remember.

Actual acts that sell out stadiums you mean?

That'll be the reason its well supported.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8323 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 11:04:46 »

Elton has played the CG.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #8324 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 11:05:52 »

It is pretty unclear what level of risk STFC are open to here.

Have they literally just rented out the venue to the promoters? It seems from the posters to be different promoters each night, which suggests that they haven't and STFC are possibly on the hook for the concert infrastructure across the two events and therefore have more risk than they might otherwise have done.

They probably won't be building a separate stage on the Sunday, so it will be the same stage for both events you would think.

Have STFC got the pouring rights for these events? In other words, do they take the bar money? An all day "festival" like the tribute day could be good from that perspective.

Concerts are a perfectly good idea but no one wants loss making events that impact the playing budget, such as it is...

Don't forget this shitshow: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-23487178

Weather is a massive factor here too. Both of these events will have a much more casual attendee than your average concert. If the weather is great, what better thing to do on a Sunday than rock up to the CG, have a few ciders and listen to some great tribute bands. If the weather is bad...

Plenty of clubs that we would consider well run have dabbled in this area and got their fingers burned too.

And for the people saying "this isn't for us" they literally polled STFC fans before putting these events on.

I really hope that it works but in the words of John McGreal...

If the club are in anyway exposed on this, they need to take their heads out of their asses and cancel it.

A quick look online shows the Chris Moyes hangover is mainly at venues of about 1,500 to 2,000.

Its a MECA type show.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 554 [555] 556 557 558 ... 856   Go Up
Print
Jump to: