Pages: 1 ... 402 403 404 [405] 406 407 408 ... 856   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1254248 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6060 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:31:04 »

Someone else has to do it.  They take the ticket money you sort out the bars and concessions.  You probably at this stage don't charge the promoters anything more than costs.  Thats the way it would have to work.

Its a massively expanding business.  Whilst I was event managing the Kings of Leon at Wrexham, the same company were starting the Arctic monkeys tour, had Muse in Plymouth, Coldplay on their stadium tour.  Live Nation who I also work for had Burna Boy, Wizkid, RHCP out.  Elton John was doing every stadium going.  Springsteen was out doing stadiums. 

Frankly they are late to be trying to plan for '24 and if they are  intending to do it themselves they are idiots.  You can lose a fuck load as a promoter.  Even good promoters.  Orchard, a company who were doing all the Cardiff Castle shows have just gone down.  And they were people who worked within the business.

Frankly the way STFC business is run I fully expect to see them bring in a complete chancer who claims to know what they're doing and watch him fail and disappear loading debt onto the club.

FWIW I know someone who is in the music business like yourself that offered his help to the club but was thanked but no thanked.

It will be very interesting to see what the club do with this. I think it's a good idea and definitely a thoughtful way of using the CG to make income outside of the football season.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6061 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:33:57 »

It’s a good idea in principle, I just think they’re fundamentally going about it the wrong way

Things get better but they never get good
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #6062 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:38:27 »

I did just look at the survey hoping there might be an 'any other comments' section where I may be able to ask to speak to someone.  But its not really much of a jotform.  Ill try to send an email to the commercial manager.  It will come to nothing Im sure but I may as well try.

Never knowingly overstated.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6063 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:38:54 »

I'm going to sound like some weirdo Devon fan boy now but Plymouth, who are probably one of the best run clubs in the Championship, utilised Home Park during the summer and had Muse and Rod Stewart in town -

https://homeparkstadium.com/news/rod-stewart-home-park-plymouth-details/
https://homeparkstadium.com/news/muse-to-play-home-park-stadium-concert-in-2023/

Done properly, I don't think there is any reason why the CG shouldn't be used as a venue to host decent acts. As far as I'm aware, there is nowhere in Swindon that hosts decent gigs, I think you have to go to Oxford or Bristol locally to get that music fix?
« Last Edit: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:44:35 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #6064 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:43:19 »

I'm going to sound like some weirdo Devon fan boy now but Plymouth, who are probably one of the best run clubs in the Championship, utilised Home Park during the summer and had Muse and Rod Steward in town -

https://homeparkstadium.com/news/muse-to-play-home-park-stadium-concert-in-2023/

Done properly, I don't think there is any reason why the CG shouldn't be used as a venue to host decent acts. As far as I'm aware, there is nowhere in Swindon that hosts decent gigs, I think you have to go to Oxford or Bristol locally to get that music fix?

Ashton Gate do quite a few: https://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/ashton-gate-announces-arctic-monkeys-concert-for-2023/

We tolerate a rickety old shed of a ground because we are blinded by love for the club.

A concert promoter looking to offer a premium fan experience that allows him to push ticket prices to maximise revenue has plenty of other stadium options with larger catchment areas within the broader South West.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6065 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:44:03 »

The Elton John concert in 2005 was a big success so no reason why a big name couldn't perform here again.

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6066 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:46:18 »

Wasn't that the Callum Rice driven effort?
Bit more than 8 years ago if it was.
Chucked it down and an all round shambles by all accounts.

This one?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-23487178

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #6067 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:50:02 »

Ha, yes that's the one.
A lot can go sideways with these things not least the weather.

Hopefully the club will take a breath & think it through properly.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6068 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:52:45 »

Ha, yes that's the one.
A lot can go sideways with these things not least the weather.

Hopefully the club will take a breath & think it through properly.

I think we took a financial hit on that one as well - we paid someone to run it and took responsibility for tickets ourselves, hence still trying to wade through with only 3k attendees.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6069 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 15:55:59 »

The idea of hosting concerts is a sound one, the idea of us trying to manage that with the current facility is a bit nuts.

Ideally, this is precisely the sort of thing you put into a Town End development business case when seeking funding.  The money we can make would be off of the Hospitality angle - and we have pretty poor facilities on that front.  That limits the money making opportunity.  Get boxes in the DR and development of the TE, with hosting concerts in mind, then start building a plan to host them in a coupe of years time.  That gives us time to find the right relationships to manage selling the facility to Promoters as well.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 11, 2023, 16:09:52 by RobertT » Logged
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #6070 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 16:00:32 »

I think we took a financial hit on that one as well - we paid someone to run it and took responsibility for tickets ourselves, hence still trying to wade through with only 3k attendees.

Rather my point. I HATE being down on the club, despite what some may think, but I'm absolutely shocked that anyone who has seen their approach to literally every other aspect of the business thinks that they are going to suddenly turn into Irving Azoff for this concert initiative!

However, things like the baffling lack of away shirt stock (again) means that they are simply leaving money on the table.
This, on the other hand, could be a major financial headache if it isn't done right. And they don't do things right!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #6071 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 16:03:53 »

I have never known so many people people in my life be so fucking miserable in one place. There is so much to get angry over at the club but not sure it's worth it for a potential concert is it?

It's madness

I probably would go if it was Madness.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #6072 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 16:10:52 »

Yeah nice idea, probably works better when exec boxes are in the DRS and the town end is rebuilt.

Stratton Bank is neither here nor there as a stage would be that end.

First decent argument for not starting with Stratton Bank maybe?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #6073 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 16:11:42 »

I'm going to sound like some weirdo Devon fan boy now but Plymouth, who are probably one of the best run clubs in the Championship, utilised Home Park during the summer and had Muse and Rod Stewart in town -

These are a case in point.  Muse was promoted by SJM Concerts.  A company I work for.  Rod Stewart was promoted by Cuffe and Taylor who are a division of Live Nation.  Both other companies I work for.  Problem it is back to front to say - what gigs would you like to see unless you are going to promote them yourselves.  

Now I can bore you all with the cost and the deals in live music.  How much you can earn and how much you lose.  Its heavily weighted in favour of the artist, the promoter takes the risk.  I honestly don't think you should take the risk.  

Get a plan together.  Where are you going to put the stage.  How many seat are available.  How much parking is available for the trucks and buses (ashton gate is shit for this).  Where are you putting the concessions.  What about dressing rooms and offices?  Work this out and have a proposal to go to a promoter with.  You don't go promoters saying - hey we've asked and the small section of answers have said they want Coldplay and Beyonce.  So can we have them please.

Also look at the competition.  Yes there is a growing amount of Stadium gigs.  But Ashton gate gets used.  Cardiff Millenium gets used.  Swansea gets used.  Southampton cricket ground gets used.  London several venues.  Milton Keynes.  Coventry.  There's plenty of places to chose from.

It needs to be thought through.  They need advising and I just hope they are getting some good advice.    

Never knowingly overstated.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #6074 on: Monday, September 11, 2023, 16:16:38 »

These are a case in point.  Muse was promoted by SJM Concerts.  A company I work for.  Rod Stewart was promoted by Cuffe and Taylor who are a division of Live Nation.  Both other companies I work for.  Problem it is back to front to say - what gigs would you like to see unless you are going to promote them yourselves. 

Now I can bore you all with the cost and the deals in live music.  How much you can earn and how much you lose.  Its heavily weighted in favour of the artist, the promoter takes the risk.  I honestly don't think you should take the risk. 

Get a plan together.  Where are you going to put the stage.  How many seat are available.  How much parking is available for the trucks and buses (ashton gate is shit for this).  Where are you putting the concessions.  What about dressing rooms and offices?  Work this out and have a proposal to go to a promoter with.  You don't go promoters saying - hey we've asked and the small section of answers have said they want Coldplay and Beyonce.  So can we have them please.

Also look at the competition.  Yes there is a growing amount of Stadium gigs.  But Ashton gate gets used.  Cardiff Millenium gets used.  Swansea gets used.  Southampton cricket ground gets used.  London several venues.  Milton Keynes.  Coventry.  There's plenty of places to chose from.

It needs to be thought through.  They need advising and I just hope they are getting some good advice.     

All fantastic points Sax. Hopefully the club reach out and take advice from someone who clearly knows the game.

Pages: 1 ... 402 403 404 [405] 406 407 408 ... 856   Go Up
Print
Jump to: