Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 ... 856   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1253233 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2790 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 07:49:56 »

I see Zav has , out of his own pocket, paid for a coach to take disabled Town fans to Rochdale.

No doubt someone will spin that negatively.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #2791 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 08:06:49 »

I see Zav has , out of his own pocket, paid for a coach to take disabled Town fans to Rochdale.

No doubt someone will spin that negatively.

Bet he paid for it in cash. A chance to clean dirty money that he couldn’t get through his car wash company Wink
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #2792 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 08:36:20 »

They are actually £7 less than the average for league 2, however they did go up 17% last year as costs have gone up.  A massive rise isn't going to be welcomed by anyone.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/every-efl-season-ticket-price-27237210

Definitely not the cheapest.
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #2793 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 08:43:35 »

Maybe the club needs a new admin volunteer to take the socials login after 10pm

I think part of the reason for the uproar of this is being a bit of a straw that broke the camels back situation. There is *so* much scrimping on non playing functions - wanting senior medical professionals on an NHS starter wage, this media thing, wanting people to clean the stands or drive food out to calne for free. It all just looks and feels so tinpot - and it’s bizarre because there has been clear investment in other areas that these costs would be a drop in the ocean in comparison

Not my quote, but agree with the sentiment - Swindon Town should be acting like the club at the level they want to be, not where they are. The fact that other league two clubs without a pot to piss in run themseleves on volunteers shouldn’t be a reason that we see it as acceptable to do similar. And if it does, then it’s just deflating. Because what happens if/when we do get promoted, and are up against clubs that run themselves professionally?

Every time we’ve been in league two in my lifetime, it’s felt like we’ve been temporarily misplaced, even in the flitcroft/brown years. If we start acting and dressing like a poor league two side then that doesn’t feel so temporary. And it may well be the reality of the situation calls for that - but that doesn’t make it any less upsetting

Good post, its not this one thing in isolation its a culmination of pretty much everything the club put out being shit.

I think its the Broadbent Lounge guy who always circles back to Clem wanting 'Premier League thinking' at the club.....

Southern Premier League perhaps.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2794 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 09:49:25 »

Its difficult to gauge from that link isn't it

e.g. Gillingham - £365 to £480

£480 top price - but £405 on early bird renewal :
https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/siteassets/documents/202223/ticketing/season-ticket-2022-2.pdf
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2795 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 10:50:22 »

Maybe the club needs a new admin volunteer to take the socials login after 10pm

I think part of the reason for the uproar of this is being a bit of a straw that broke the camels back situation. There is *so* much scrimping on non playing functions - wanting senior medical professionals on an NHS starter wage, this media thing, wanting people to clean the stands or drive food out to calne for free. It all just looks and feels so tinpot

Possibly does, but on the other hand there are constant demands for more investment in the football side of things and there will only be a finite money in the budget, anything saved on non-playing side can be invested in playing so probably a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul where the option is available. Is it ideal, probably not but unless we get an owner with unlimited pockets (which no doubt many would find reason to moan about) its a fact of life to save where they can to make what they have stretch further. These intern placements are all over the place and whilst not very inclusive in many ways, its not compulsory that anyone applies for them either.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2796 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 10:59:54 »

I really don't see how anyone can think Season Tickets remain the same price anyway.  The cost of everything has gone up, so even if we spent money badly on shit players, we still spent it and the floodlights are probably now twice as much to run.

Certainly not going to be able to pay for lunch delivery.

Sadly I think this is going to be the case and it's got to the stage where people are really going to have to think long and hard about whether they can afford it. Our mobile phone charge went up 17% recently and obviously inflation is still hanging around 10%. I have to give huge credit to our fanbase that has held up incredibly well in dark dark financial times.

Next season will be the third season with Clem in charge and if (as I suspect we will be) we are still in league 2 and prices go over the £400 mark, some are just not going to be able to fork out and will probably pick and choose their games. It's imperative that Morris and Brand are backed properly and the positive messages about the club strongly aiming for promotion are going to have to happen to get the numbers the club are going to want/have to get. It will be interesting to see how low the early bird offers go along with the incentives.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2797 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 11:13:18 »

Yeah it's mad isn't it really, you are a miserable cunt but not negative constantly  Smiley

I'll take that  Cheesy
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2798 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 11:15:58 »

re:n floodlights

aren't they led now? surprisingly cheap to run. even at double the cost

(I know they are one minor exploit l example from your valid point)

Think I said it here earlier, ST balance is such a delicate thing. Everybody's costs have gone up. Increase by too much and you lose fans. increase by too little and the budget gets further cut.

I think DMC is right in that perception of where the club is headed is going to have an influence. I don't think that's being negative.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2799 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 11:38:43 »

Anyone think Clem would bale once the JV is finalised, take a profit and let someone else redevelop.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2800 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 11:42:02 »

Anyone think Clem would bale once the JV is finalised, take a profit and let someone else redevelop.

I suspect he would bail any day if someone offered him enough cash, the way people go on you would think there was a line of multi-millionaires just queuing up to buy the club.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2801 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 12:14:26 »

Surely his plumbing company is going to be needed to do some of the jobs around the gaff?

Hopefully we have actually sorted out the historic finances and all the crap out behind the scenes (court cases pending) so if there are interested parties it's much easier to pass on control than it has been historically.

I think you have to have very thick-skin to be a football club owner. Look at Spurs, they built a brand new state of the art stadium that's one of the finest in the country at a cost of over a billion quid, but their board always seem to have fans on their back because they aren't able to challenge on the pitch. Regular champions league football isn't good enough and especially more galling with Arsenal doing so well. I get it that expectations are through the roof at the bigger clubs. I suppose at the end of the day we all want success, and one persons definition of sucess is very different to anothers.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 12:22:43 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2802 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 12:34:05 »

Surely his plumbing company is going to be needed to do some of the jobs around the gaff?

Hopefully we have actually sorted out the historic finances and all the crap out behind the scenes (court cases pending) so if there are interested parties it's much easier to pass on control than it has been historically.

I think you have to have very thick-skin to be a football club owner. Look at Spurs, they built a brand new state of the art stadium that's one of the finest in the country at a cost of over a billion quid, but their board always seem to have fans on their back because they aren't able to challenge on the pitch. Regular champions league football isn't good enough and especially more galling with Arsenal doing so well. I get it that expectations are through the roof at the bigger clubs. I suppose at the end of the day we all want success, and one persons definition of sucess is very different to anothers.

A trophy or two goes a long way for a club like Spurs. Its why I never get The League Cup being looked down on. A club like Spurs would be a lot happier with a League Cup every 7 or so years to accompany being at the right end of the table, rather than the square roof of fuck all they do win.

Can't remember who said it, but a quote I loved about when Arsenal were scrapping 4th and winning fuck all "You can't show your grandkids a medal for a top 4 finish"
DMC

« Reply #2803 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 12:43:01 »

I don't think that was the short term plan or that he wanted too but i wouldn't be suprised if he did. He has and always says otherwise but i would in his position
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #2804 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2023, 12:56:29 »

I don't think that was the short term plan or that he wanted too but i wouldn't be suprised if he did. He has and always says otherwise but i would in his position

I cant see Clem bailing any time soon, getting this club into L1, and fighting for promotion is always better, the club would be worth more as well at that point.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 ... 856   Go Up
Print
Jump to: