Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Peterborough United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 33373 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:05:58 »

N'Guessan was knackered because he was expected to play the whole of the second half running round on his own up front as we tried to defend a 1-0 lead. I know we lacked options to sub him, but I really didn't see what was wrong with leaving it as we had been in the first half (with apologies if that's been explained elsewhere)
His legs had clearly gone, he'd run himself into the ground. Unless you mean why Murphy and  Pritchard weren't helping out as much. In which case fair point, but Peterborough were pushing us back.

No they're not. They're a skill that can be practiced like any other.

Ronaldo, Messi, Baggio all missed pressure penalties. It happens.

What I don't have sympathy with is fucking stupid penalty attempt. Stupid chips, or stupid 90 degree going for top corner shit or bust run ups.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:07:20 »

I think I will use my potential Wembley money for Froch v Groves tickets now, not all bad.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:07:52 »

Luongo's penalty pretty much summed up his performance over recent weeks -shite.  He's gone backwards as the season has progressed.

Completely agree!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:08:56 »

Personally I thought he disproved himself last season when he was found wanting in the run in, and the playoffs - never threatened to turn a game.

Its a fair argument. He looked to have beefed up a bit since then. I guess I just don't get why he wasn't given a chance. Cooper sees him every day in training and obviously agrees with you.
Flashheart

« Reply #244 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:09:41 »

I'm sure N'Guessan picked up a knock/got winded at some point. I think that's why he was so knackered.

Either way.. 10/10 effort from him.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:11:58 »

Luongo's penalty pretty much summed up his performance over recent weeks -shite.  He's gone backwards as the season has progressed.

Yup. He was shit hot earlier this season, but he lost the hot bit.

Tonight it looked like he was told to stay as the front of the diamond. Perhaaps he was doing exactly as he was instructed, but it came across as being a bit half arsed really. Plus my 5 year old puts in harder tackles than he did.

I'm sure he'll come good again.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:13:22 »

I'm sure N'Guessan picked up a knock/got winded at some point. I think that's why he was so knackered.

Either way.. 10/10 effort from him.
He really was superb. Held the ball up, wasn't caught offside and not sure how it translated on TV but he ran and ran to put the Posh defence under pressure.

He was the complete opposite on Friday!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:14:24 »

Ronaldo, Messi, Baggio all missed pressure penalties. It happens.
Yes of course it does. As can missing a decent chance in open play. But it happens a lot less if you practice the situation, as with any skill. Just because sometimes even the best players don't always pull off the skill under pressure as they have trained to do, doesn't make it a lottery.

What I don't have sympathy with is fucking stupid penalty attempt. Stupid chips, or stupid 90 degree going for top corner shit or bust run ups.
Totally agree on that.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:21:07 »

Our penalties were immaculate in the last round, they weren't this time around. Sunrise, sunset.

Let's not over think it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:22:43 »

Yes of course it does. As can missing a decent chance in open play. But it happens a lot less if you practice the situation, as with any skill. Just because sometimes even the best players don't always pull off the skill under pressure as they have trained to do, doesn't make it a lottery.

Sounds like we need DV to pull out some stats to show % winning on penalties that practice regularly v % winning that don't!

Did I miss something in the post match that said we didn't bother practising by the way? I'd assume both teams gave it a go in training.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:23:56 »

I haven't read back yet...

I'm fucking distraught!

Apologies to you all...my piss is off tonight...we aren't going to Wembley!

We had the game in our hands despite the ref giving us fuck all...it was in our hands.

On 60 minutes we went to rat shit....lost our shape and looked fucked....THIS was the time to change things, not sit back deeper and deeper and deeper...you could see the goal coming...BANG....too fucking late as usual and NOW we make changes....too fucking late!

Cooper wasn't brave and we paid the price......there was talk of two up front on the radio after.....when did that happen? All I saw was Danny running his big black bollocks off up front...my MOM....he was like Kamara tonight.

Special mention to the shit ref (again).....just because the manager is called Ferguson you don't have to give him everything...fucking dire.

Didn't watch the pens, I cannot stand it.....Luongos hit me on the back of the head as I left...seems he's got away with the flack and poor old 'bend it not like Beckham' Tijane is getting his nuts chewed...

Season IS over...no dreams of play offs, we start building for next season now.

I don't like Cooper, I didn't want him and he got the job by default.....his attitude fucking grates on me...and tonight he proved he is inept at changing games....no real tactics....but im sure he's here to stay and thats my tough shit. He was brave v Coventry and it paid off....it was too much to ask tonight. With Ranger now gone with a level 3 hamstring tear ( I bet level 5 hurts).... I hope we don't slide down the table.

Saturday could go two ways.....

I fucking hate this game sometimes.

Clems Army!
Levi lapper

« Reply #251 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:24:10 »

Personally I thought he disproved himself last season when he was found wanting in the run in, and the playoffs - never threatened to turn a game.
What apart from the back heal he scored against Aston villa?
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:28:25 »

We looked worn out after 70 minutes, DNG, TAH and Louis Thompson were fantastic.

Having to talk the boy out of crying his eyes out at the end wasn't much fun, he's a sensitive soul. It's an emotional business this football malarkey. Onwards and upwards.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:28:59 »

Did I miss something in the post match that said we didn't bother practising by the way? I'd assume both teams gave it a go in training.
Again, I wasn't specifically talking about us tonight or us at all, I was referring to the "Penalties are a lottery" attitude in this country generally. I keep hearing it and find it annoying. They're not, they're a skill.
Dozno9

« Reply #254 on: Monday, February 17, 2014, 23:31:47 »

If a 'keeper saves a pen is that because the striker didn't practice enough?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: