Poll
Question: Paynter?
good luck, served us well, fair enough that you've left - 69 (47.3%)
fuck off you cunt, go warm the bench and fail at leeds - 32 (21.9%)
couldn't give a shit either way, the past is the past. - 45 (30.8%)
Total Voters: 111

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paynter Leaving  (Read 59715 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 09:22:05 »

True, but its all hindsight.

If Paynter hadn't played everyone would be saying not playing your top scorer in the final was stupid.

However, Millwall and Charlton he didn't look fully fit which is a different issue.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 09:58:11 »

The board were in a lose / lose situation with paynter.  Sell him for money in jan and get accused of lack of ambition or keep him and hope to go up and take stick for losing him on a free if we dont.

Whilst it was clear that he was a decent player and likley to be a regular starter, how the fuck was anyone supposed to know he'd score twice as many goals as he had ever managed before in a season?

If someone had come on here last summer and said paynter would score 29, everyone would have pissed themselves laughing
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 10:07:12 »

The board were in a lose / lose situation with paynter.  Sell him for money in jan and get accused of lack of ambition or keep him and hope to go up and take stick for losing him on a free if we dont.

Whilst it was clear that he was a decent player and likley to be a regular starter, how the fuck was anyone supposed to know he'd score twice as many goals as he had ever managed before in a season?

If someone had come on here last summer and said paynter would score 29, everyone would have pissed themselves laughing

Well not 29....take out the pens and I reckon...this isn't far wide.

Reg Smeeton wrote:

Ido get the feeling that Wilson may expect to see Paynter step up and be more prolific.

Paynter is now of teh rightsort of age and experience to kick on and become a 20 goal man.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 10:08:25 »

you cant just ignore the pens to make yourself seem more right
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 10:15:29 »

you cant just ignore the pens to make yourself seem more right

And you can't add them in to make yourself seem less wrong  Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 10:16:58 »

And you can't add them in to make yourself seem less wrong  Smiley
As the pens are part of the goal total, he doesn't need to "add them in". They're there, it's you who's trying to take them out
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 10:21:32 »

As the pens are part of the goal total, he doesn't need to "add them in". They're there, it's you who's trying to take them out

FFS T*dd was suggesting that the idea of Paynter becoming a major goalscorer was laughably unpredictable...I pointed out not so.

random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 10:28:56 »

FFS T*dd was suggesting that the idea of Paynter becoming a major goalscorer was laughably unpredictable...I pointed out not so.

No, I'm with Todd on this one.
In fact his original post is absolutely spot on
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 10:31:54 »

Indeed - how many people thought of betting on Paynter for top league one scorer (I know he wasn't, but not far off)

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 11:18:05 »

Always found Billy a bit of an enigma regarding his goalscoring feats yet still looking like he could do more somehow. It was mentioned before that he helped Charlie and Coxy a lot which is true, but he benefitted from them equally. It was lucky for us that he was able to gel with both seemingly easily. Will he do that at Leeds ? Not convinced he will some how, still good luck Billy and thanks for goals.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 11:32:44 »

Billy got what 14? In his first season and 16 last season. That's 30 in two seasons without penalties.

That's 15 a season anyway. With Penalties its easy to see how he could get 20+

I wasn't expecting close to 30 goals admittidly but hitting 20 was no surprise to me.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 13:36:17 by Dave » Logged
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 12:03:44 »

Not really, you suggested that Wilson would hope for a better return from paynter ie over 20 goals. You didnt actually predict it yourself or say that was at all viable did you?

Keep telling yourself that you have magical powers of prediction though.  Smiley

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 12:12:23 »

Not really, you suggested that Wilson would hope for a better return from paynter ie over 20 goals. You didnt actually predict it yourself or say that was at all viable did you?

Keep telling yourself that you have magical powers of prediction though.  Smiley

*Paynter is now of teh rightsort of age and experience to kick on and become a 20 goal man*.

That was my take on things....as Dave pointed out given his previous, one could see it happening....Grayson said that Paynter had matured over the last couple of seasons.

Now I think Wilson probably sees VP as a replacement....but there's no way I'd predict he'll score 20 goals....that would be laughable

Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 12:22:41 »

*Paynter is now of teh rightsort of age and experience to kick on and become a 20 goal man*.

But that dosnt say you thought he'd do it does it?  Stop trying to claim credit for something you didnt say!

For what its worth I agree with the sentiment of your statement, he WAS the right age and experience, but given some of his finishing previously and the fact that at times he wasnt getting in enough scoring positions I didnt have a great deal of faith it would actually happen.
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 16:32:20 »

Think he'll struggle with the step-up!

Prove me wrong billy!

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: