Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Arnold Darcy  (Read 3252 times)
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 18:58:30 »

In fairness to Dick Mattick and having re-read the list and criteria,he's tried to be very loyal
to players who have made over 250 apps and to include player-managers.Consequently,it's
rather a catch-all list and not really a top 100 list of 'Greats'.

Nevertheless,it's all good fun to look at the list and to think who we'd have in it and who
we wouldn't!  Wink

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 21:23:19 »

When my dad took me to my first ever Swindon game way back in the mid to late 1950's Arnold Darcy was my first Swindon Town idol.  Quite small but pacy and had a few tricks on him & could cross a good ball - McNamee take note. My recollections were that the rest of the team was pretty average (Maurice Owen excepted) but Arnold Darcy was my hero.  He was also a very popular member of the team that eventually got promotion in 1962/63 although by then his best years were behind him.

Later had a painting & decorating business in the town I believe but yes, for me a real Town hero.

He did indeed have a decorating company, my Dad went to work for him after deciding not to bother going on the books after playing youth level.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: