Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Crewe Alexandra - Official Match Day Thread  (Read 23691 times)
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 11:48:03 »

I'm not sure that's true. I can remember booing and the odd round of "What a load of rubbish" on many occasions during almost 40 years of following Town.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 11:51:17 »

Going back to yesterday's game a big problem I saw was the fact that we were often 2 v 2 at the back (someone has eluded to this). Have no qualms with pushing the full backs on and them contributing to attack - it's probably essential that they do given that the midfield 4 is a narrow 4 and the full backs offer us width.

However, someone (probably Rodgers) has to drop back to assist with the centre backs to save it being 1 against 1 on the counter. Even feel like we got away with it a fair bit in the second half and there was one time where Branco was pushed up leaving 3 on 1 against Turnbull.

As for Nathan Thompson, I actually see him more of a centre back than a full back and his pace can help us when we are exposed on the counter. I'd personally keep Barry in the side as his performances have warranted it and bring Thompson in for Branco, who IMO is bringing Turnbull down.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 11:59:15 »

I'm not sure that's true. I can remember booing and the odd round of "What a load of rubbish" on many occasions during almost 40 years of following Town.

I'm not saying it didn't exist but now teams challenging for first place are being booed at half-time.

This is a general observation, not just at the CG.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:07:32 »

But, in my opinion Nathan isn't the player he thinks he is. Whether or not that's because of the injuries I don't know, but his position as club captain does not entitle him to take a swipe at fans.

Serious question, when did he tell you how good (or otherwise) he thinks he is? What did he say exactly?

Perhaps he was standing up for the players, who play in front of fans who don't understand the intricacies or intentions of the way they are told to play? If I was a player, I'd certainly see that as part of my captain's role.

I think this conversation shows that fans need to understand that there is often a very good reason for certain things players do that may go unseen or be too subtle for the boo boys and the 'forward' bunch. Equally, players must understand that booing is never based on logic, it's a spontaneous show of frustration - when things go against us - and doesn't necessarily mean those fans don't care. Quite the opposite, it's just that it doesn't do any good.
Randle

I must be crazy to be in a loony bin like this.

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:21:13 »

I've taken to booing whenever I receive less than satisfactory service or those around me fail to reach my unbelievable standards of expectation.  It really does motivate and inspire people to do better.

It's not the fucking panto so please don't do it.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:28:21 »

If you receive bad service in a restaurant or see a poor theatre show, do you stand up and boo?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:28:33 »

One day, and maybe not too far in to the future, both of our Thompsons will have left...and we'll miss them like you wouldn't believe.  A common/persistent complaint these days is that some players don't 'get' the Club and don't identify with the fans.  Well Nathan & Louis have turned that upside down and inside out.  Nathan doesn't need to play like Messi every week for me.  His worth to the Club is so much more than his performances.

They may both move on, but I'm quite sure they'll come back as well.  One or both will be involved at Club in some capacity in 25 or 30 years from now.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:28:58 »

If you receive bad service in a restaurant or see a poor theatre show, do you stand up and boo?

I do.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:33:30 »

I said earlier that you get these sorts of mistakes with kids, but remember that Byrne and Gladwin didn't impress from the start. The good news is that some of these boys playing their first full season are definitely improving: Barry, BOO, Branco (compared to his cameos last year). Could be one season away from cashing in big again.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:37:53 »

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/10133512/swindon-4-3-crewe

Looking at the goals against yesterday..
1st just uillustrataes what can go wrong when you go long and fail to win the header, comes back at you rapidly, defensive mistake goal, not really anything to do with tactics, just a fuck up.

2nd - There is just fuck all movement, one can assume firstly from the strikers or midfielders getting forward to receive the free kick in the first place, hence it going side ways and then we start fucking about with no movement and outlet for the man on the ball meaning that its so easy for them to know where its going and thus close that man down before he even receives it, Rodgers comes from so far away that he can easily be tracked, one would have thought his movement would create space, but if it did no other midfielder exploited it to give the man with the ball an outlet. - and to be fair their lad did some good work although once he was in the box no one could tackle him (see yesterdays discussion).

3rd... How much space and time does the bloke in the middle need, no one seems to be tracking back until Barry and Branco arrive late in the day, we may have been pressing but you would expect better positional play than that?

The recurring thing seems to be naivety at the back and lack of movement and cover from midfield, its bloody hard to defend when you have runners which no one is tracking coming at you (yet the defender tends to get the blame, whilst also never being provided with an 'out' ball, especially if ball playing is not your thing.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:40:13 by horlock07 » Logged
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:39:49 »

On a bit of a side note anybody read Nathan's Thompsons comments in the captains column for this game. The bit that really stood out for me was his opinions on the negativity the players received in the last game after coming unstuck when playing it from the back "however the fans did not feel this way and from that moment forward the negativity every time Lawrence had the ball in his hands was, quite frankly, disgusting in my eyes. And I don't say that lightly"

In all honesty I have mixed feelings about this in some ways I agree but should he be having a pop like this at the fans. Is this not just as bad as those fans having a go.

I don't agree with the way they play around at the back.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:42:31 »

On a bit of a side note anybody read Nathan's Thompsons comments in the captains column for this game. The bit that really stood out for me was his opinions on the negativity the players received in the last game after coming unstuck when playing it from the back "however the fans did not feel this way and from that moment forward the negativity every time Lawrence had the ball in his hands was, quite frankly, disgusting in my eyes. And I don't say that lightly"

In all honesty I have mixed feelings about this in some ways I agree but should he be having a pop like this at the fans. Is this not just as bad as those fans having a go.

I don't agree with the way they play around at the back.
Nah, nobody has mentioned it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:44:44 »

I said earlier that you get these sorts of mistakes with kids, but remember that Byrne and Gladwin didn't impress from the start. The good news is that some of these boys playing their first full season are definitely improving: Barry, BOO, Branco (compared to his cameos last year). Could be one season away from cashing in big again.

This... They will develop overtime.

I recall the absolute hammering McEveley got at Preston a few years back when he got beaten for a header after tracking back following various midfield and defensive fuck ups, the ball should never got there in the first place but as he was the chosen scapegoat at that time the dogs abuse he got was ridiculous, we do seem to love to choose a scapegoat and then go after them!

Ultimately if we have a goal keeper and defensive unit with an average age of what feels like about 18, being terrified to receive the ball as they know they will get booed if it goes wrong its never going to end well.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:45:50 »

Nathan is more of a town fan than the minority of fans who boo and as captain of the squad was critical of the effect of that reaction during the game, taking the argument as to why the system works overall and how the pressure of booing transmits to young players.  It was intelligent, a tad controversial for those who like platitudes in their program notes and in line with how STFC from Power, through Williams play, so Delta's personal attack was seriously misplaced imo.  The murmurings were audible on any passback  to Vigs even when he was under no pressure which created pressure in itself and yes, one of Crewe's goals did come from a long clearance being headed straight back towards the Town area by  a Crewe player.  Feel free not to like the system but don't single out NT for writing an intelligent piece in line with club policy.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 12:57:23 »

From those highlights, it seems as though B-O-O had a decent game..

Did anyone notice that the Football League program on Channel 5 has changed. Split into 2 shows now, it seems.

A 1 hour one 9-10 (The Championship), then a half our one 10-1030 (for those who are incapable) for Leagues 1&2.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: