Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Crewe Alexandra - Official Match Day Thread  (Read 23692 times)
deltaincline

« Reply #135 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 00:51:40 »

Apologies if it's already been posted, but what was the deal with Nate Dogg's programme notes?

'Nate Dog' is a fucking terrible, over familiar, cringeworthy nickname if ever I heard one. I've no idea why you persist with it Nemo.

Nathan Thompson's program notes are arrogant. He's not a bad player, but as we all know his young brother showed him a clean pair of heels in all departments a long time ago - hence him getting a decent move to Norwich, and I don't think Nathan has ever got over it.

He clearly thinks that the position of club captain entitles him to have his say, which it does, to a degree. However, when you spend most of your time pissing about on the treatment table, on your arse or on the golf course, spouting off about fans vocalising their disgust with a few boos now and then isn't going to endear you to everyone, and in any other walk of life would be classed as an abuse of position. His comments definately fall short of what I'd expect from a club captain anyway.

For a player who showed so much promise in his early years, Nathan has become a bit of a liability on the pitch, is unreliable, and is in danger of turning into a whining, bitter cunt.  He's not as good as he thinks he is and by slating our fans on a couple of occasions now it seems that he's taking himself a bit too seriously and is taking the adulation for granted.

If he concentrates on getting back into the side with a run of consistent games and shuts his mouth, he'll get my support.

Anything else and he can do one.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 02:01:58 »

'Nate Dog' is a fucking terrible, over familiar, cringeworthy nickname if ever I heard one. I've no idea why you persist with it Nemo.

Nathan Thompson's program notes are arrogant. He's not a bad player, but as we all know his young brother showed him a clean pair of heels in all departments a long time ago - hence him getting a decent move to Norwich, and I don't think Nathan has ever got over it.

He clearly thinks that the position of club captain entitles him to have his say, which it does, to a degree. However, when you spend most of your time pissing about on the treatment table, on your arse or on the golf course, spouting off about fans vocalising their disgust with a few boos now and then isn't going to endear you to everyone, and in any other walk of life would be classed as an abuse of position. His comments definately fall short of what I'd expect from a club captain anyway.

For a player who showed so much promise in his early years, Nathan has become a bit of a liability on the pitch, is unreliable, and is in danger of turning into a whining, bitter cunt.  He's not as good as he thinks he is and by slating our fans on a couple of occasions now it seems that he's taking himself a bit too seriously and is taking the adulation for granted.

If he concentrates on getting back into the side with a run of consistent games and shuts his mouth, he'll get my support.

There's nothing wrong with the club captain..pointing out that a lot of our fans are mongs, because it's true. Nathan is a class act, you should embrace him.
Amir

« Reply #137 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 06:29:03 »

If he's saying leave it until the end, then I think the vast majority would agree with that.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 07:12:14 »

As I said could be anything today....our kamikaze football is mental, but great fun. Been trying to recall another example of being 3-1 down and winning 4-3, yet to come up with one, I thought maybe a game at Millwall in 62, but we were only 3-2 down before winning 4-3.

Yep, in predicting that anything could happen you were bang on the money  Smiley

Another 3 points towards the dogfight, anyway.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 07:18:12 »

Liability on the pitch? How's about revelation in a new position last time he was fit? Wasn't it Bolton looking last season? He has had interest - we're the beneficiaries of the fact he had hamstrings that have cost him a lucrative move away.

As fans, we complain endlessly that players don't care for the club. In the Thompson's we have two players that care as much as we do. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I've not read comments so wide of the mark on here (in my opinion) for a very long time.
Mrs Brown

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 07:51:51 »

My feeling is that Nathan Thompson's value to the club is more than just on the pitch.  His passion and loyalty speak volumes of the man.  He was the first to approach Jordan Turnbull at the end of yesterday's game with a few words and an arm around the shoulder. 

On a similar note, I was impressed with Branco when he was trying to gee up the crowd after Turnbull's blooper.
Flashheart

« Reply #141 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 08:24:29 »

It's been a long, long time since the club had a true legend in the likes of Calderwood, Digby etc. It's good to see that we have a likely candidate with N Thompson.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 09:13:13 »

There's nothing wrong with the club captain..pointing out that a lot of our fans are mongs, because it's true. Nathan is a class act, you should embrace him.

Spot on Reg. If you're one of those "supporters" who gets upset by his programme notes then they're probably directed at you. Maybe you should take that on board rather than spout shit on here.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 09:19:54 »

Spot on Reg. If you're one of those "supporters" who gets upset by his programme notes then they're probably directed at you. Maybe you should take that on board rather than spout shit on here.

And as much as the howlers at the back are frustrating - it is because they look so awful. His point that hoofs upfield can be just as dangerous is valid, it's just that a defender doesn't get criticised for it and nobody picks apart the game in sufficient detail (other than the coaching staff) to show that is the case.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 09:28:10 »

And as much as the howlers at the back are frustrating - it is because they look so awful. His point that hoofs upfield can be just as dangerous is valid, it's just that a defender doesn't get criticised for it and nobody picks apart the game in sufficient detail (other than the coaching staff) to show that is the case.

Yep, I agree.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #145 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 09:29:47 »

We lose almost every ball we play long, but they hardly ever result in a goal against
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 09:49:07 »

We lose almost every ball we play long, but they hardly ever result in a goal against

Maybe not directly, maybe after a couple of phases - having given possession away. Our game relies on possession, so the theory of keeping the ball from the back is valid. The practice needs improvement, clearly. The onus has to be on the full backs ( both new) and sitting centre mid (Kasim, Rodgers, hopefully Stephens by next week...) to show themselves. Playing devils advocate to an extent here - let's not all pretend that Williams is a fool and that there's not a very good reason for playing that way.
Flashheart

« Reply #147 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 09:50:14 »

Giving the ball away also means you're not going to score yourself.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #148 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 09:59:07 »

Maybe not directly, maybe after a couple of phases - having given possession away. Our game relies on possession, so the theory of keeping the ball from the back is valid. The practice needs improvement, clearly. The onus has to be on the full backs ( both new) and sitting centre mid (Kasim, Rodgers, hopefully Stephens by next week...) to show themselves. Playing devils advocate to an extent here - let's not all pretend that Williams is a fool and that there's not a very good reason for playing that way.

Agree, just saying one is a lot more visible than the other.

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:06:38 »

Some interesting points on the last few pages.
Regarding going short from the keeper, building from the back and then creating an attack is what we'd all like to see. It's the perfect and most pleasing football on the eye when it results in a goal.
The trouble with it is that doing it all the time means teams will press you and losing the ball there is dangerous. A ball lost on the edge of their box is better than on the edge of ours.

On the occasions I've seen Vigarous go long from a pass back I think his kicking has been erratic and is a flaw in his game. Difficult one really. Results have been decent lately so that's what matters really isn't it ?

I always enjoy reading delta's posts but think he's wide of the mark with much of his criticism of Nathan Thompson. The lad would have nothing but pride in his brother's success. There won't be a shred of jealousy or envy. I do think he can be liable at times but he's a defender in league 1 so that is to be expected.

Many of our fans are fucking cretins so fair play to him. Clueless twats screaming abuse and booing from the stands at players who clearly have a far superior knowledge of the game is going to grate a bit isn't it?

The only time I personally would agree with booing is when a player isn't giving their all.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: