Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe v Swindon Match Day Thread  (Read 40226 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 16:06:36 »

1st goal is well placed.
2nd a cross should never go in.
3rd his attempt to save is awful. He should have got down to save that, or at least tried.
4th he could do nothing about
5th goes through his legs
6th goes through his arms

The defending is god awful, but he should have kept AT LEAST 3 of those out.

I think he is gaining Storey or Cooper status on here now though.

FWIW the whole defence and goalkeeping area was a shambles that looked neither interested nor arsed to do anything, I suspect that 'he' (I think that's the correct term for our deities) is getting certain attention because a) due to the shambolic performance most of the highlights showed the ball going, over, under and through him and b) he just seems to look incredibly overweight and showed no agility in trying to save anything really.

I played keeper at Sunday league for many years and fuck me you can have a shocker where nothing goes right, but he just didn't seem capable of getting down quickly which is a real worry, possible needs to spend less time in the gym or selling motors on Twitter and more time getting some bulk off?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 16:18:52 »

Interesting. They didn't, apparently, and I'm surprised a little. Not necessarily to do explosive stuff but when you've only got four days to sort that out before the next game (against a team you shipped five against earlier in the season), I'd consider having an analysis session or light shapework. Might be in the minority.

Or they could have been forced to watch the video/DVD of the Wigan and Scunthorpe games in full to show how inept they were.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 16:22:39 »

Give him a break, Sam is writing pieces for the Mail now, he has to be outraged about something?  Cheesy

I like it that an indirect result of the "media ban" is that the TEF now gets direct any scoops that Morsy can't flog to someone. Keep it coming, Sammo. We're happy with scraps.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #288 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 16:26:59 »

I think he is gaining Storey or Cooper status on here now though.

FWIW the whole defence and goalkeeping area was a shambles that looked neither interested nor arsed to do anything, I suspect that 'he' (I think that's the correct term for our deities) is getting certain attention because a) due to the shambolic performance most of the highlights showed the ball going, over, under and through him and b) he just seems to look incredibly overweight and showed no agility in trying to save anything really.

I played keeper at Sunday league for many years and fuck me you can have a shocker where nothing goes right, but he just didn't seem capable of getting down quickly which is a real worry, possible needs to spend less time in the gym or selling motors on Twitter and more time getting some bulk off?
I agree with that, he has the agility of an aircraft carrier, he is slow to get down to low shots and keeps his legs wide open in one on ones, his kicking is very poor to say the least and he punches rather than catches the ball as well as his propensity to let the ball hit him on the chest before gathering it.

That said I am sure he can buckle down and get better, he is still very young for a keeper but you do have to question how he is being coached.

That is unless Steve Hale thinks he cannot claim crosses well enough so insists he punches the ball rather than trying to catch and dropping the ball in precarious positions.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Paul Mason

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 17:35:41 »

Been out the country last couple of weeks so wasnt at either game but have seen highlights, bit surprised main bulk of this thread is about an inexperienced second choice keeper who i guess doesnt cost us much, shouldnt the main concern be about established first team regular players defensive capabilities? We have conceded too many goals all season, not just recently

Going in a slightly different direction, if we get possibly one more win we are probably safe, wouldnt it be worthwhile seeing the likes of Marshall, Cooke, Young, Smith given some action to see if they are up to first team football?
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 17:55:27 »

bit surprised main bulk of this thread is about an inexperienced second choice keeper who i guess doesnt cost us much,
What on earth do you expect? We shipped six in our biggest defeat for a decade and quite rightly the 'keeper who was culpable for 3 of the goals is being raised as a concern, the rest of them have received plenty of criticism also.

Whether Belford is the highest earner or paid peanuts, this is a match day thread and his wage or experience shouldn't excuse him.

Utter rubbish.
Paul Mason

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 18:01:59 »

I think the main gist of my thread was more aimed at the fact he is a second choice keeper whose only played a few games so its hardly expected that he is the next Joe Hart, isnt the bigger concern first team regulars not defending well enough as out of 10 goals generally most people say he was down for 2-3 so that leaves 7 that have come down to other players?
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 18:09:24 »

He has started around 20 matches for us - hardly a kid thrown in at the deep end. No expectation of him being the next Joe Hart, but a competent back up should not be too much to ask.

In regards to the other goals we shipped, I can barely bring myself to relive the highlights. It certainly seems Branco was back to his comedy best on Monday.
Paul Mason

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 18:19:36 »

What about the other defenders and midfielders over the two games or generally over the season, your thoughts?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 18:46:23 »

Been out the country last couple of weeks so wasnt at either game but have seen highlights, bit surprised main bulk of this thread is about an inexperienced second choice keeper who i guess doesnt cost us much, shouldnt the main concern be about established first team regular players defensive capabilities?

Amen.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 18:48:32 »

Paul Mason:

Barry - remains somewhat of a defensive liability so is often targeted by the opposition but there has been a marked improvement when he was written off by many (including myself) at the start of the season. Impressive going forward and has contributed quite a few assists. I would like to see Thompson start ahead of him in that position next season but he will do for back up.

Turnball - has unfortunately gone backwards since last season but still capable of the odd solid display, was superb at Coventry. I would like us to look to sign him permanently as we know what he can do over a season in a decent side.

Branco - meh, started the season well, do I trust him? Not as a regular and we do seem to ship more goals with him present.

Thompson - when fit, often a class act who is missed. We would have more points on the board if he wasn't absent.

Boo - similar to Barry, a bit too lightweight for my liking but has improved.

Sendles-White - I have been impressed with him, looks solid and assured and based on his early performances he should be starting ahead of Branco.

Brophy - out of his depth at left back, I think he would have promise if played in a more advanced role but certainly should not be starting and would benefit from a loan spell I think.

The midfield? All far too inconsistent, no real stand out performer. Robert has shown class but lacks consistency and Doughty started superbly before appearing to down tools last weekend - it would be interesting to see if we get him back.

Ultimately, we saw almost £5 million of midfield talent depart last summer and replaced on a shoe string, so our current position does not surprise me.

It's a shame we have been unable to take advantage of a free scoring strike partnership and the weakest league 1 in memory and it will take some decent recruitment to avoid a struggle next season.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 19:24:18 »

Quote: Ultimately, we saw almost £5 million of midfield talent depart last summer and replaced on a shoe string, so our current position doEs not surprise me.

This.....for me.

That's why I'm not bothering to renew. I will go to 90% of the matches...but will not commit.

Power won't ref loanees and threadbare squad....so I won't...

Ajose is top scorer in a mediocre side, so I fully expect him to be the sacrificial lamb close season.

I hope it all improves next term.

Get another win and we can all look forward to who we will play next season.

Clems Army!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 21:41:54 »

Paul Mason:

Barry - remains somewhat of a defensive liability so is often targeted by the opposition but there has been a marked improvement when he was written off by many (including myself) at the start of the season. Impressive going forward and has contributed quite a few assists. I would like to see Thompson start ahead of him in that position next season but he will do for back up.

Turnball - has unfortunately gone backwards since last season but still capable of the odd solid display, was superb at Coventry. I would like us to look to sign him permanently as we know what he can do over a season in a decent side.

Branco - meh, started the season well, do I trust him? Not as a regular and we do seem to ship more goals with him present.

Thompson - when fit, often a class act who is missed. We would have more points on the board if he wasn't absent.

Boo - similar to Barry, a bit too lightweight for my liking but has improved.

Sendles-White - I have been impressed with him, looks solid and assured and based on his early performances he should be starting ahead of Branco.

Brophy - out of his depth at left back, I think he would have promise if played in a more advanced role but certainly should not be starting and would benefit from a loan spell I think.

The midfield? All far too inconsistent, no real stand out performer. Robert has shown class but lacks consistency and Doughty started superbly before appearing to down tools last weekend - it would be interesting to see if we get him back.

Ultimately, we saw almost £5 million of midfield talent depart last summer and replaced on a shoe string, so our current position does not surprise me.

It's a shame we have been unable to take advantage of a free scoring strike partnership and the weakest league 1 in memory and it will take some decent recruitment to avoid a struggle next season.

Good synopsis, agree with all that.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 21:54:04 »

Quote: Ultimately, we saw almost £5 million of midfield talent depart last summer and replaced on a shoe string, so our current position doEs not surprise me.

This.....for me.

That's why I'm not bothering to renew. I will go to 90% of the matches...but will not commit.

Power won't ref loanees and threadbare squad....so I won't...

Ajose is top scorer in a mediocre side, so I fully expect him to be the sacrificial lamb close season.

I hope it all improves next term.

Get another win and we can all look forward to who we will play next season.

You won't spend money to watch Town because Power won't? what exactly do you intend to achieve by not buying a ST? Genuine question.

I'm shocked, I totally agree with Chang. I wasn't there on Monday but that is a fair summary of those players IMO from what I've seen this season.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
ekarot

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 22:23:42 »

The thing is guys unless you or we have the money to buy Lee power out we are stuck with him doing whatever he wants ,the way he wants and how he wants . 1 million % in it as a businessman he has said .Wants to get to championship then sell.In the meantime he will cut his cloth accordingly(I have no prob with that at all as it's important we have a club at whatever level)and as a business that's what keeps it sustainable.BUT he has made no community effort or spent any cash around the stadium (Fitton and wray sorted all red seats and at least painted and made certain areas presentable)and their plan included stadium development and or a new facility )We can all have our opinion but if we are not really happy about our club being run this way there are choices --Don't go to games or give any money at all .If 500 or 1000 people made a stand on a reqular basis (from our present very loyal following) the saleable asset would decrease any profit v turnover . For 43 years we have had no assets( stadium) no money and the same level of football and attendance and I should know as that's when I first started going .Sooooo people what are we going to do about it ?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: