Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Inquest  (Read 51349 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 11:57:04 »

Scum mothers do ave em...
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 11:58:55 »

I've written my first article about yesterday and what to come. It's my own little inquest.

Enjoy

http://totalswindonsport.com/2015/05/jay-collett-reflections-on-wembley-the-mosaic-and-a-season/

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #107 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 12:01:02 »

I don't see the season as wasted, although I completely get the point of view.

Power's business model is to take players, develop and sell on.  The business plan appears to have worked. We've got saleable assets in the squad, who we will now realise the cash for. The club has made good money from the play-offs too.

The aim was to put the club on an even keel. Financially, we should now have the funds to start putting the club on a sustainable footing and improving the infrastructure.  Now the absolute misery of yesterday is behind me, I'd probably take that over throwing money at player contracts whilst we get stuffed every Saturday in the league above. Develop properly and we could be in a position to give it a proper go in a couple of seasons, with the club set up to stay up.

I'm sure Power see's the season as a success and a vindication of what he's trying. The real measure of that for me will be what we do over the close season with the money we've brought in and whether we can continue to identify players that fit the business plan.
Totally agree with this. Financial stability is an achievement. Its what we do with it. I trust power and cooper to rebuild. Whatever happens though just have a fucking defence next season.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 12:19:02 »

I've written my first article about yesterday and what to come. It's my own little inquest.

Enjoy

http://totalswindonsport.com/2015/05/jay-collett-reflections-on-wembley-the-mosaic-and-a-season/

Thanks to your mosaic and the alley-o chant, I'd say that was the best atmosphere out of the three last visits. The atmosphere died after the 2nd goal went in but I thought we the fans were decent. Just a shame the manager and players were shit.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 13:18:05 »

That's all well and good and all true but it's a bit boring isn't it?

Whilst I understand that it's better to have the club on a solid financial footing that's not going to do much for the fans or get new fans in through the door. If anything that small time, happy to make up the numbers mantra will drive fans away. They want ambition and success.

No, I want a club to support without hearing the words 'creditors' and 'administration' every few months.
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 13:27:13 »

No, I want a club to support without hearing the words 'creditors' and 'administration' every few months.
This!

Budget slashed from 5 mil to 1.5 mil, and still made the play offs? We'll be back... COYR
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 13:31:30 »

Just out of interest I suspect there was a poll on here last August time where people suggested where we may finish - with all the understandable doom and gloom today would be interested to see what the result was (if someone can be arsed to find it!)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 13:32:45 »

This season we've balanced the books, grown one or two rough diamonds into first team players, and built a reputation as a club worth sending young players to. We're also likely to cash in on Luongo, who most people (remarkably) seem to think is a waste of space, with the possibility of making further profit on players like Byrne, Kasim and possibly Gladwin, although it wouldn't surprise me if we kept hold of them. Not to mention the 6 figure sum we'll have made out of yesterday.

With that extra cash, and with our final big earners leaving in the shape of Wes and Andy Williams, there's a bit of wriggle room over the summer. I like the philosophy that Cooper and Power have, and the approach of playing 3-5-2 with young players has brought some great performances and results.

In order to improve, I'd love to see us become able to adapt between 3-5-2 and something more solid like a 4-2-3-1. I'd also like to see a bit of the extra money spent on bringing in an experienced centre back and a decent replacement for Luongo. I don't like the way Preston play - I'd hate to watch it week in week out. But they are good it, and we'll never be able to beat teams like them on a regular basis until we become a little more wily and solid.

Overall, we beat everybody's expectations this season but got sussed out in the end. Plenty of great memories, especially from the semi-final games, and something to build on next year. It's hard to get excited about next season with the lack of attractive fixtures, but the flip side of that is that the league looks very winnable if we recruit well.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 13:38:27 »

This season we've balanced the books, grown one or two rough diamonds into first team players, and built a reputation as a club worth sending young players to. We're also likely to cash in on Luongo, who most people (remarkably) seem to think is a waste of space, with the possibility of making further profit on players like Byrne, Kasim and possibly Gladwin, although it wouldn't surprise me if we kept hold of them. Not to mention the 6 figure sum we'll have made out of yesterday.

With that extra cash, and with our final big earners leaving in the shape of Wes and Andy Williams, there's a bit of wriggle room over the summer. I like the philosophy that Cooper and Power have, and the approach of playing 3-5-2 with young players has brought some great performances and results.

In order to improve, I'd love to see us become able to adapt between 3-5-2 and something more solid like a 4-2-3-1. I'd also like to see a bit of the extra money spent on bringing in an experienced centre back and a decent replacement for Luongo. I don't like the way Preston play - I'd hate to watch it week in week out. But they are good it, and we'll never be able to beat teams like them on a regular basis until we become a little more wily and solid.

Overall, we beat everybody's expectations this season but got sussed out in the end. Plenty of great memories, especially from the semi-final games, and something to build on next year. It's hard to get excited about next season with the lack of attractive fixtures, but the flip side of that is that the league looks very winnable if we recruit well.

This ^
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 13:46:21 »

I agree with the most of that, but not liking watching the way preston play is crap. They went up ffs.  We went up in the 80's playing complete hoofball, but no one complained then.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 13:50:37 »

I agree with the most of that, but not liking watching the way preston play is crap. They went up ffs.  We went up in the 80's playing complete hoofball, but no one complained then.

Of course not, but I'm sure most preferred the work of Ossie.  Btw I agree with your point on Preston.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 13:53:39 »

I support Swindon regardless of division, squad or the formation they play. If it works, it works. John Beck's Cambridge United got close to the top flight at one stage for goodness sake.

My question in the inquest is this - Mark Cooper: Is he immune? Surely Power would have been livid with that conclusion?

For the record I'm all for continuity and I don't want Cooper out nor am I saying that he should be sacked for one shitty game but a high turn around in personnel could result in new ideas?

Just putting it out there.
Flashheart

« Reply #117 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 14:09:32 »

The rumours are that Cooper would be leaving regardless of the result yesterday.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 14:16:40 »

The rumours are that Cooper would be leaving regardless of the result yesterday.

Really? I've most of that.
REDBUCK

« Reply #119 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 14:22:19 »

Norwich showing how to play fast pace attacking football. Fantastic start.

must be the red shirts.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: