Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best player we've had...  (Read 6474 times)
TheKingCY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 10:48:21 »

So Mooney's a cunt.  Still think he was the better player and unfotunately it hurts to say, I'd still have him back again next year.....  Crying

eality is just an illusion caused by lack of alcohol...
red macca

« Reply #31 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 11:53:54 »

Quote from: "fatbury"
well i thought he was man of the match in that play off final
but the thread is called best player we have had.not best player swansea have had
fatbury

« Reply #32 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 12:11:09 »

well he was our best player last season
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 12:27:02 »

Quote from: "StefPol"
Quote from: "simon pieman"
Mooney moved down a division, Parkin moved up one. I think that speaks volumes.

Thats cause of the age difference, with Parkin at the beginning of his career with Mooney coming to an end   Soapy Tit Wank      

If we play a 4-5-1 formation, then Parkin is better then Mooney without a shadow of a doubt.  However in a 4-4-2 formation, Mooney was class, and i'd probably pick Mooney over Parkin.

Mooney is more like a Dennis Berkamp style player, whilst Parkin is more like a Dean Ashton style player.  

In my opinion, Mooney is a more adaptable striker.  He's able to adapt to his fellow strikers style of play, and thats why he played well with Parkin and Fallon (when given the chance). Parkin on the other hand struggled to develop partnerships with Fallon and Roberts.

Both were excellent strikers, but Mooney was just a a bit better imo   Cheesy

But Mooney also got dropped, unlike Parkin.
Parkin was in the team week in week out and rightly so. Parkin has a lot more to his game than just scoring, unlike Mooney.

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 12:51:27 »

You can only compare Mooney and Parkin for the season which they both played for us.  Both were great strikers, but in my opinion Mooney offered more as a striker then Parkin did.  Parkin is like Cureton in the sense that they are both out and out goal scorers (although Parkin was more consistent then Cureton).  However whilst Mooney scored many a goal, he also won many a flick on, many corners, freekicks etc.  In my opinion, if Mooney played with Fallon or Roberts, that partnership would collectively score more goals then a Parkin partnership with Roberts/ Fallon.  Thats because Mooney is more adaptable as a player, and at the time was a better player then Parkin.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #35 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 13:00:37 »

You can only compare Mooney and Parkin for the season which they both played for us.  Both were great strikers, but in my opinion Mooney offered more as a striker then Parkin did.  Parkin is like Cureton in the sense that they are both out and out goal scorers (although Parkin was more consistent then Cureton).  However whilst Mooney scored many a goal, he also won many a flick on, many corners, freekicks etc.  In my opinion, if Mooney played with Fallon or Roberts, that partnership would collectively score more goals then a Parkin partnership with Roberts/ Fallon.  Thats because Mooney is more adaptable as a player, and at the time was a better player then Parkin.

Why? It doesn't say for a single season. The fact that Parkin played more seasons and performed to the same standard needs considering.

Like I said, Parkin still scored the same amount without Mooney's assists. So it means that Mooney's assists weren't as important as you make out.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 13:01:22 »

I would have to choose Parkin over Mooney simply because if he got the ball you were confident he would score. Had Mooney not gone through that 10 game barren run then maybe things would have been different but Parkin ALWAYS guaranteed goals.

And scored a hat-trick on his debut  Soapy Tit Wank
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 13:02:34 »

this is irrelevant. ty gooden was the best

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 13:23:31 »

Why? It doesn't say for a single season. The fact that Parkin played more seasons and performed to the same standard needs considering.

In which case, Milner without doubt is the best player to have played for Swindon,  simply because he now plays in the premiership, and will be playing top flight football for many a year.  

My argument about Mooney being the best player is based on what he brought to the club for that season.  Whilst Parkin scored many a goal, he was to a certain extent replaceable - with Fallon and Cureton showing they could score goals as Swindons main striker (all be it at a slightly less impressive ratio to Parkin).  

Since Mooney's departure, no one has come close to replacing him within the team, and hence why we have spiralled down the league.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 14:44:17 »

In which case, Milner without doubt is the best player to have played for Swindon,  simply because he now plays in the premiership, and will be playing top flight football for many a year.  

My argument about Mooney being the best player is based on what he brought to the club for that season.  Whilst Parkin scored many a goal, he was to a certain extent replaceable - with Fallon and Cureton showing they could score goals as Swindons main striker (all be it at a slightly less impressive ratio to Parkin).  

Since Mooney's departure, no one has come close to replacing him within the team, and hence why we have spiralled down the league.

I meant in a Swindon shirt. There have been loads of players since div1 that have never played together for Swindon, but have played for Swindon. If they didn't play at the same time how would you compare them?

And Cureton couldn't score goals which was one of the reasons we went down. Fallon did well last season but the ones prior he didn't perform nearly as well.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 15:09:18 »

Mooney scored what 20 goals for us, Parkin scored close to 70.

Super Sammy Parkin all the way
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 16:22:39 »

dv you're wrong.

ty gooden all the way

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 16:22:58 »

I meant in a Swindon shirt. There have been loads of players since div1 that have never played together for Swindon, but have played for Swindon. If they didn't play at the same time how would you compare them?

And Cureton couldn't score goals which was one of the reasons we went down. Fallon did well last season but the ones prior he didn't perform nearly as well.

Fallon didn't perform well prior to last season mainly because of Parkin.  Both players had a similar playing style, but when you put the 2 together it never worked.  That left a choice of playing Fallon or Parkin upfront, with Parkin deservedly being chosen above Fallon, simply because Parkin had a proven goal track record with Swindon.  Fallon mainly played a super sub role - which he did pretty well in

I personally feel that Cureton did well for us last season.  Sure he started of craply, but once he came back from his loan spell at Colchester, he scored a few goals.  Imo cureton played in an inferior team to the one which Parkin had played in.  I guess you can lay some of the blame on Cureton for getting us relegated (because he scored no goals in his first stint at Swindon).  However he did give us hope by scoring a few goals after his return from the loan spell.

In my opinion, Onoura is the main reason why we went down.  The man had 36 games in charge of Town.  Whilst we did not have the best team in the division (and the players must take some responsibility for us going down), the class in skill  between the top teams and Swindon were not exactly massive.  Just look at Bristol City.  When we beat them 2-1 at home, it looked like it was going to be a long hard season for them.  However Johnson rallied the troops, and transformed the team that took them to the bottom of the league, to a team that nearly snatched a play off place.  Onoura was ok as a manager, but i feel that if we got a manager who was a little more experienced, we would have survived
SwindonTownFC

« Reply #43 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 16:24:19 »

i would like to have seen Cureton and Parkin play together, would be superb
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, June 4, 2006, 18:49:34 »

Ian Woan and Sam Parkin for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: