Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: o/t I remember the days when Swindon...  (Read 48733 times)
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:12:29 »

The original indoor market
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:13:35 »

Reg or Ronnie.......can you remember the Tartan cafe in Commercial Road?
Vaguly remember was run for years by an excentric Scotsman............can remember pinball machines and a strong smell of coffee............but not a lot else.
Don't remember than one, do remember that large pet shop in Commmercial Road, and Morses department store in Regent Street.  Bit like McIlroys, they also had a guy who came round the villages with his Morses catalogue and you could buy from him and pay weekly.  That's what my mum used to do, and hide away when he came knocking each week!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:14:16 »

sid the kid was still out and about in wroughton until recently.he was a regular at wroughton games at the weekends and in the club after.age is catching up with him and he isn't out as much nowadays.

mad rad was another bloke who was in town daily around the late 80's to early 90's.
he'd push a trolley around full of junk and have shouting arguements with his imaginary friend.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:17:24 by arriba » Logged
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:15:59 »

Bretts was the pet shop.
Ref arriba....remember him,would walk to Coopers(EMR now)....remember his shoes were massive!

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:16:43 »

that's the fella
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:17:06 »

Reg or Ronnie.......can you remember the Tartan cafe in Commercial Road?
Vaguly remember was run for years by an excentric Scotsman............can remember pinball machines and a strong smell of coffee............but not a lot else.

Not one I went in...another was The Ring in Cavendish Square, where I used to go when skivving off school (Park)....The Ring was pretty cool, good range of pinballs and that frisson of excitement, of knowing a few faces, who were proper naughty in a Cockney sort of way.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:30:32 »

Sid is still around......walks around with a hat complete with feather.....muttering cuckoo.
Not seen him for about a year though.

If its the same mad person who walks around with a hat complete with a feather and muttering cuckoo, then he threatened to kill me once!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:39:37 »

If its the same mad person who walks around with a hat complete with a feather and muttering cuckoo, then he threatened to kill me once!
Cheesy

Was a nutcase when younger...led a gang of Teddy Boys i was reliably informed that terrorised Regent Street in the 50's.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:42:13 »

When I was at college he was always around the top of town cuckooing away.

70stownender

« Reply #174 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 12:03:41 »

berti mee said to bill shankley,, have you heard of the boys from highbury, shanks said no, i dont think so, but ive heard of the swindon aggro             and   we're forever blowing bubbles pritty bubbles in the air,they fly so high,  nearly reach the sky, and like west ham they fade and die, bristols always running,oxfords running too,so are the swindon boot boys,running after you ,du,du,du du du, SWINDON , SWINDON,                                                                                       GOOD DAYS 70S
70stownender

« Reply #175 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 12:11:46 »

PETER DOWNSBORO ROD THOMAS JOHN TROLLOP STAN HARLAND ARFUR DOBIN HORSFIELD DON ROGERS BUT TO NAME A FEW 20K CROWDS LESS THAN A POUND TO GET IN 'COME ON YOU CARTERTON BOYS'
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 12:19:30 »

berti mee said to bill shankley,, have you heard of the boys from highbury, shanks said no, i dont think so, but ive heard of the swindon aggro             and   we're forever blowing bubbles pritty bubbles in the air,they fly so high,  nearly reach the sky, and like west ham they fade and die, bristols always running,oxfords running too,so are the swindon boot boys,running after you ,du,du,du du du, SWINDON , SWINDON,                                                                                       GOOD DAYS 70S
Cheesy

Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 12:54:26 »

And Zodiac Toys!

My Dad owned the toy shop between Rhapsody and Wigfalls with the train set in the window.  Also remember adver man expanding his vocabulary to include "Late Special"
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 13:11:48 »

That's Sid!!!
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 13:15:20 »

mad rad was another bloke who was in town daily around the late 80's to early 90's.
he'd push a trolley around full of junk and have shouting arguements with his imaginary friend.

Remember him well, everybody used to avoid him like the plague!  Language was colourful to say the least.  Was in Nottons in Manny Road one day when he came in, complete with trolley full of scrap metal he had picked up.  He cursed most people in the caff, smelt like a sewer rat, then asked the lady serving for a duster so he could clean the seat before he sat on it.!!  He used to live at the old folks home in Moredon but there were so many complaints about him the council moved him on.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: