Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: o/t I remember the days when Swindon...  (Read 48902 times)
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 10:08:44 »

Jungle Bungle.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 10:24:09 »

11 pages and no-one recalls the famous 'Swindon Air Hooter' for the GWR workshop workers? I'm sure as a small boy in the late 70's when living in Newhall Street it was a daily occurrence.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 10:26:23 »

11 pages and no-one recalls the famous 'Swindon Air Hooter' for the GWR workshop workers? I'm sure as a small boy in the late 70's when living in Newhall Street it was a daily occurrence.

Funny i remember the early morning blasts well....it was just the norm.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 10:44:20 »

Does anyone remember Sid the Kid?  Never paid to look at him, he would down you for sneering or so he thought!  Did a bit of door work at the Moonrakers, last I heard of him he was in an old people's home in Wroughton.  Re Froud and Hext, was run by two brothers on Vic Hill.  One of them still lives there, but they have got Spot On Models on Fleet st. now, where Great Western Cycles used to be.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 10:48:25 »

Does anyone remember Sid the Kid?  Never paid to look at him, he would down you for sneering or so he thought!  Did a bit of door work at the Moonrakers, last I heard of him he was in an old people's home in Wroughton.  Re Froud and Hext, was run by two brothers on Vic Hill.  One of them still lives there, but they have got Spot On Models on Fleet st. now, where Great Western Cycles used to be.

Sid is still around......walks around with a hat complete with feather.....muttering cuckoo.
Not seen him for about a year though.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 10:49:13 »

Normans furniture shop - and they also had the secondhand furniture shop where Walkabout used to be.  RE Football Pink, we used to travel into Swindon for footy on the train and the Football Pink man used to come down the platform as the train was about to leave, this was after we had had our fish and chips from the shop in Wellington Street.  Didn't Nottons also have a cafe situated about where Focal Point is now?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 10:50:17 »

Sid is still around......walks around with a hat complete with feather.....muttering cuckoo.
Not seen him for about a year though.

That's the guy, lives in Markham Place at Wroughton I believe now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 10:52:53 »

We've had hooter threads before...those as well..

One of Gazza's finest

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,37342.0.html
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 10:55:09 »

Normans furniture shop - and they also had the secondhand furniture shop where Walkabout used to be.  RE Football Pink, we used to travel into Swindon for footy on the train and the Football Pink man used to come down the platform as the train was about to leave, this was after we had had our fish and chips from the shop in Wellington Street.  Didn't Nottons also have a cafe situated about where Focal Point is now?

That wasn't Nottons....Nottons were ware Rudi's is now.....a rather posher establishment than the famous cafe in Manny Road.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:00:30 »

I think somebody mentioned it in jest before, but that hooter would be great to run out to at the CG instead of some crappy song.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:02:02 »

As a non-Swindon native, my main memory of Swindon is the old guy selling the Advertiser in the town centre using that odd noise (for my young ears anyway) as his selling technique.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:07:23 »

You may be thinking of Beale's Ronnie....an ace establishment, beloved of mods, rather than the grot of say The Titanic in Gorse Hill, it was tastefully turned out, with proper Italian expresso machines. Pin tables weren't the best.....but you could buy purple hearts (not over the counter)

Beale's is somewhat curiously remember by a street name amongst the plastic and glass shite that got dumped down there.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:08:26 »

That wasn't Nottons....Nottons were ware Rudi's is now.....a rather posher establishment than the famous cafe in Manny Road.

Yeah, and still run by the Notton family!  What was the one I referred to called then?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:09:18 »

You may be thinking of Beale's Ronnie....an ace establishment, beloved of mods, rather than the grot of say The Titanic in Gorse Hill, it was tastefully turned out, with proper Italian expresso machines. Pin tables weren't the best.....but you could buy purple hearts (not over the counter)

Beale's is somewhat curiously remember by a street name amongst the plastic and glass shite that got dumped down there.
Thanks Reg.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 11:10:18 »

Reg or Ronnie.......can you remember the Tartan cafe in Commercial Road?
Vaguly remember was run for years by an excentric Scotsman............can remember pinball machines and a strong smell of coffee............but not a lot else.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: