Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What does it mean to be a Swindon fan?  (Read 11723 times)
AndyWells

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 11:49:33 »

You might like to include paragraphs in the aforementioned paper.

Haha! Thanks
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 15:42:17 »

Came down from Nottingham in the late 60's as a young lad. Most of my family who still live there are County or Forest die hards. To me it made sense to follow a local team. 1st game for me was home to Fulham in the cup? stood in the old Shrivenham road stand bottom tier ! Think we won 5-0 or something like that. Recall George best and Rodney Marsh playing for Fulham. After that I really got hooked and have been ever since. Highlights I can remember are: wembley playoffs    ( missed the cup final ) kenny strouds screamer v Everton, climbing the Stratton bank clock when the 8th went in v Bury and generally traveling around the country watching the town.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 15:49:26 »

Anyone else feel pride when supporting Swindon?

I'm probably the longest serving regular poster...and up until last season, my pride in being a Town fan had always been absolute, but last season was the biggest disgrace I've seen in 50 years, and has certainly knocked that pride.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 15:55:46 »

For me:

Heart ache
Piss ups
abuse
comradery
and.....a few highlights

Clems Army!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 15:58:20 »

I'm probably the longest serving regular poster...and up until last season, my pride in being a Town fan had always been absolute, but last season was the biggest disgrace I've seen in 50 years, and has certainly knocked that pride.

Understood completly,to be honest i am still smarting.
An interesting manager has got my interest back though,always proud of Swindon and not just the football team, but for me i have been tempted to give next season a miss and spend my hard earned on other things.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 15:59:54 »

Agree.............It was difficult going to the last home game but still managed it.
At least this season has some surprise element to it.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 16:05:30 »

Yeah except 2 or 3 games last season was crap. Was going at the end just to see if we could get that last win. Ups and downs is all part of it but really in need of some more up times this season !
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 16:27:41 »

OK last season the results weren't great, but it was more the sense that numbers of players were just taking the piss out of the fans....
Doore

« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 17:39:42 »

I was a season ticket holder from 1992-92 until 2008-09. There were plenty of times during those years I was tempted to give up as the football was crap, the manager knew nothing, and the players couldn't give a toss.  I then had to give it up as I moved further away than I already lived (Cardiff to North Shropshire) and couldn't afford the trip and the ticket.

Trust me - you miss it when you can't go.  I've also given up smoking.  Not going to the CG is ten times harder.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 17:53:29 »

It means wading through season upon season of unadulterated shit, for that one good season in 10 and the highs that brings when compared to the bottomless pit of lows that have gone before it. It means going to Nottingham knowing you're certs for the drop and seeing your side lose 7-1 and yet it still ranks up there as one of the best away days in the last few years... etc.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 17:57:37 »

I think the biggest thing for me is the social element. That's not to say I wouldn't go on my own - I have done a number of times, but making a day of it is the best way to enjoy being a Town fan.

I've lived in London for nearly 4 years now, and will be here for atleast another year, so haven't been able to go to all that many games recently (can't afford to travel back too often). When i am back in Swindon, I feel I haven't done the day justice unless I've spent a couple of hours with a bunch of reprobates in the Merlin before the game.

The highlight of the camaraderie comes with away games though - whether travelling by car, coach, minibus or train it's always great to chat about years gone by and built up the excitement before the game. As well as having a drink or two along the way!

Just as an example, losing 5-0 to Gilligham on the opening day a couple of years back was a huge let down - a disgraceful performance from the players. But as a day out it was pretty decent - time in the pub and on the train with some TEF the lads and ladies and plenty of laughs.

Having said all that, I'm not too disappointed with the number of games I missed last season - didn't sound like much fun!
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 18:42:08 »

At Forest game We were taking bets how long ifil was going to stay on pitch, Tyson was taking the piss out of him from the very first whistle. I also enjoyed the day but as I was staying up there with family I had to put up with the piss taking all night and it carried on over breakfast Sunday morning. we did get some revenge back at the county ground, the best part being the own goals and the numpty sub getting booked down at the town end !
adje

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 18:45:05 »

Carrying on a proud family tradition

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 19:59:50 »

I think the reason I go is that there's very little else to do on a saturday afternoon. I go with mates from school who, without football i'd just drift apart from, so it's good to see them in that sense too I guess. And also the weird sense of pride I get by being one of the (relative) minority to support this football club.

Swindon Town, for all it's faults, is my football club still.

Things get better but they never get good
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 20:03:40 »

Inherited Swindon Town from my dad and my support has never waned.

Expect that heart-warming tale to be made into a Hollywood film soon  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: