Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What does it mean to be a Swindon fan?  (Read 11648 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 20:04:49 »

Inherited Swindon Town from my dad and my support has never waned.

Expect that heart-warming tale to be made into a Hollywood film soon  Roll Eyes

Horror Tale no doubt Smiley
jb

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 20:07:41 »

Horror Tale no doubt Smiley

I'm thinking Quentin Tarrentino fucked up bloodbath of a tale. 
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 22:01:23 »

Being a Swindon supporter....

80% of the time you feel like total shit. Possibly must have killed a black cat in a previous life.

10% Seems OK.....Next week will be better.

5% Really good and almost able to walk on water

5% Fucking orgasmic.....well nearly !!!

These feelings are still there after 49 years of following this fucking football club and still loving the journey.

Grin 

Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 22:25:27 »

Catching up with friends old and new on a match day for a couple of beers, bit off subject does anyone know of a Mark Willis (Wilf) Went to school with him and it would be good to see him again. He lived in Penhill but that was back in the late 70's early 80's. Any info would be appreciated, and no I'm not the old bill !
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #79 on: Thursday, July 7, 2011, 00:37:14 »

Town End lost the atmosphere when a lot of the regulars moved to the Don Rogers Stand. The atmosphere didn't go with them and a lot of it didn't stay either. Then of course being subjected to the Maurice Malpas era of football didn't help matters.

In the not too distant past the Town End got quite full, it happens rarely now.
AndyWells

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, July 7, 2011, 16:06:11 »

Thanks for all the useful posts over the last couple of days. Really interesting to hear from people and their experiences and feeling towards Town. Much appreciated.  Smiley
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Friday, July 8, 2011, 08:56:18 »

Catching up with friends old and new on a match day for a couple of beers, bit off subject does anyone know of a Mark Willis (Wilf) Went to school with him and it would be good to see him again. He lived in Penhill but that was back in the late 70's early 80's. Any info would be appreciated, and no I'm not the old bill !

MI6

Clems Army!
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Friday, July 8, 2011, 09:08:24 »

Town End lost the atmosphere when a lot of the regulars moved to the Don Rogers Stand. The atmosphere didn't go with them and a lot of it didn't stay either. Then of course being subjected to the Maurice Malpas era of football didn't help matters.

In the not too distant past the Town End got quite full, it happens rarely now.

Considering the passion that PDC seems to be promoting at every turn, if we get a few wins under our belt early on, particulary against the pox...this could be the season that the atmosphere begins to return....possibly.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Friday, July 8, 2011, 10:04:37 »

MI6

M1,M42,M5,M4 ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Friday, July 8, 2011, 11:59:35 »

I think the biggest thing for me is the social element. That's not to say I wouldn't go on my own - I have done a number of times, but making a day of it is the best way to enjoy being a Town fan.

I've lived in London for nearly 4 years now, and will be here for atleast another year, so haven't been able to go to all that many games recently (can't afford to travel back too often). When i am back in Swindon, I feel I haven't done the day justice unless I've spent a couple of hours with a bunch of reprobates in the Merlin before the game.

The highlight of the camaraderie comes with away games though - whether travelling by car, coach, minibus or train it's always great to chat about years gone by and built up the excitement before the game. As well as having a drink or two along the way!

Just as an example, losing 5-0 to Gilligham on the opening day a couple of years back was a huge let down - a disgraceful performance from the players. But as a day out it was pretty decent - time in the pub and on the train with some TEF the lads and ladies and plenty of laughs.

Having said all that, I'm not too disappointed with the number of games I missed last season - didn't sound like much fun!

Agree with all that. That's a big part of it for me as well. Met some great people through going to Town games down the years. There have been some great away days as well.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Friday, July 8, 2011, 12:02:50 »

Considering the passion that PDC seems to be promoting at every turn, if we get a few wins under our belt early on, particulary against the pox...this could be the season that the atmosphere begins to return....possibly.

I hope so. The atmosphere will be great for the Oxford game regardless of numbers. That's one game where i'll think "bloody hell I haven't heard the Town End like this for a long time" and i'm really looking forward to it. I'm hoping it will start to go back to it's old ways this season. In recent years I can only really remember a few games where i've witnessed the full potential of atmosphere/numbers in the Town End.
oakleigh2010

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Friday, July 8, 2011, 14:43:52 »

It means being in Rome in 33° of heat and waiting to travel to the first pre-season game tomorrow to see the new manager and players in action.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Friday, July 8, 2011, 16:09:09 »

I hope so. The atmosphere will be great for the Oxford game regardless of numbers. That's one game where i'll think "bloody hell I haven't heard the Town End like this for a long time" and i'm really looking forward to it. I'm hoping it will start to go back to it's old ways this season. In recent years I can only really remember a few games where i've witnessed the full potential of atmosphere/numbers in the Town End.

I wouldn't get your hopes up ISOB....early kick off in the holiday season.  Having missed the last 2-1 win, I have to think back to the last century, for the last time they visited, and don't recall the atmosphere as particularly special.
Spencer_White

« Reply #88 on: Friday, July 8, 2011, 17:17:19 »

To be honest I love all day piss ups , travelling the country, and the lads you do it with have the same interests. Supporting the same club you have that something extra in common. My world would have been much smaller without football, it opened doors for me. As for the club itself, I still feel the same way I did when I started supporting, STFC is proper football, a ground in the centre of Town amongst the Industrial terraced houses and pubs with passionate fans. Proud of its history, still dreaming of good times in the future.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, July 8, 2011, 17:38:55 »

To be honest I love all day piss ups , travelling the country, and the lads you do it with have the same interests. Supporting the same club you have that something extra in common. My world would have been much smaller without football, it opened doors for me. As for the club itself, I still feel the same way I did when I started supporting, STFC is proper football, a ground in the centre of Town amongst the Industrial terraced houses and pubs with passionate fans. Proud of its history, still dreaming of good times in the future.

Spot on.  Very important...in the heart of the town, where the club belongs.  Not shunted out to a retail park miles from anywhere.

Clubs like STFC are the bedrock of English football.  Journos would do well to remember that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: