Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Crewe Alexandra - Official Match Day Thread  (Read 23689 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:08:06 »

It's been a long, long time since the club had a true legend in the likes of Calderwood, Digby etc. It's good to see that we have a likely candidate with N Thompson.

But looking at his stats debut at 19 but only 116 games by age 25 shows how injury prone he is.

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:08:45 »

Some interesting points on the last few pages.
Regarding going short from the keeper, building from the back and then creating an attack is what we'd all like to see. It's the perfect and most pleasing football on the eye when it results in a goal.
The trouble with it is that doing it all the time means teams will press you and losing the ball there is dangerous. A ball lost on the edge of their box is better than on the edge of ours.

On the occasions I've seen Vigarous go long from a pass back I think his kicking has been erratic and is a flaw in his game. If you're going long then make it a long accurate pass and not a hoof up the park. Difficult one really. Results have been decent lately so that's what matters really isn't it ?

I always enjoy reading delta's posts but think he's wide of the mark with much of his criticism of Nathan Thompson. The lad would have nothing but pride in his brother's success. There won't be a shred of jealousy or envy. I do think he can be liable at times but he's a defender in league 1 so that is to be expected.

Many of our fans are fucking cretins so fair play to him. Clueless twats screaming abuse and booing from the stands at players who clearly have a far superior knowledge of the game is going to grate a bit isn't it?

The only time I personally would agree with booing is when a player isn't giving their all.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:15:05 »

Problem is there are fan who will believe that the boos at half-time were justified as Town came back in the second half... That and numpties like Andrew Steele-Davis stating that boos were fair.

flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:18:09 »

Can we update the OP with the score?

Also what was the score? I can't be arsed to click through bbc.
Paul Mason

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:22:29 »

What i find amusing is that fans can scream abuse and slaughter a player (in other words give their opinion) yet if a player gives their opinion those same fans go mad about it?! Nathan didnt stand in front of the crowd during the game making gestures, he merely gave his opinion in a calm structured article in the programme.

From the way Nathan comes across in the media or if you meet him (bumped into him a few times) you couldnt find a less arrogant man/player. He is honest, committed and loves Swindon and is as passionate to do well as much as any fan out there.

If you read Luke Williams notes as he put it, either way you play there are risks involved. I maybe corrected here but if my old mind remembers correctly didnt their first goal come from us hitting a long ball, it coming back at us and Turnbull made a hash of the header?

flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:25:39 »

thanks.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:26:01 »

Some interesting points on the last few pages.
Regarding going short from the keeper, building from the back and then creating an attack is what we'd all like to see. It's the perfect and most pleasing football on the eye when it results in a goal.
The trouble with it is that doing it all the time means teams will press you and losing the ball there is dangerous. A ball lost on the edge of their box is better than on the edge of ours.

On the occasions I've seen Vigarous go long from a pass back I think his kicking has been erratic and is a flaw in his game. If you're going long then make it a long accurate pass and not a hoof up the park. Difficult one really. Results have been decent lately so that's what matters really isn't it ?

I always enjoy reading delta's posts but think he's wide of the mark with much of his criticism of Nathan Thompson. The lad would have nothing but pride in his brother's success. There won't be a shred of jealousy or envy. I do think he can be liable at times but he's a defender in league 1 so that is to be expected.

Many of our fans are fucking cretins so fair play to him. Clueless twats screaming abuse and booing from the stands at players who clearly have a far superior knowledge of the game is going to grate a bit isn't it?

The only time I personally would agree with booing is when a player isn't giving their all.

The crux with our style at this level is that defenders and keeper will tend to be at the limit of their playing ability (if they can play the ball well they will usually be playing at a higher level) so mistakes will be made. The counter to this is its difference between our style and others means teams not used to such style may struggle to defend against us.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:30:18 »

Whenever we're losing by more than one goal, I tweet "that's that then.."

With that, we always seem to win..

You're all fucking welcome.

Roaming the land while you sleep..

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:31:44 »

The crux with our style at this level is that defenders and keeper will tend to be at the limit of their playing ability (if they can play the ball well they will usually be playing at a higher level) so mistakes will be made. The counter to this is its difference between our style and others means teams not used to such style may struggle to defend against us.
Agree. If you have a group of players with some clearly having the ability to step up then you'll get success with them until they leave (last season for instance)
I think this year we have a team of players at their level so it will frustrate fans at times.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:32:52 »

Also worth noting that last season, with 3 at the back plus wingbacks, we had one man extra to be available, which meant we rarely lost the ball in those positions. In a 4-4-2, two strikers close two centre backs, wingers push into full backs, centre mids cancel each other out - and there's no spare man.

How many times this year have we seen charging runs forward from the back? Thompson and Stephens excelled at it last year, because there was also a spare man. If we are to play out from the back (which I'm in favour of) then maybe the shape needs to be adjusted for that phase of play - drop a striker wide, so a spare midfielder can drop deep to receive the ball - Williams will sort it.
If we can see it, he will.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:37:17 »

Problem is there are fan who will believe that the boos at half-time were justified as Town came back in the second half... That and numpties like Andrew Steele-Davis stating that boos were fair.

The boos at the Southend game in the first half were justified. Personally I think the "blame" boos for such a moronic approach, kicking short after being caught out by a clued up and pressing opposition numerous times, purely at the coach. They sorted it out this week.

This week, a disappointing first half to say the least against a terrible Crewe side - I can see why there was frustration. I think, as has already been mentioned, most people were of the opinion that we should get behind the team after half time and cheer them on - fucking moron fans.

But NT can have his say, fans give it out so they should take the criticism but ultimately will, as we know, probably ignore it. I'm not sure the comments were that helpful.

A fit NT should walk into this side. I've been really impressed with how Barry has grown into a pretty useful player going forward. We've finally started to use width given by him and BOO to damage the opposition - something the Crewe fans seemed (un)impressed with leaving the CG car park. But NT is a better overall player, unsurprisingly.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 11:03:28 by Batch » Logged
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 10:55:56 »

What did Nathan Thompson say in his programme notes?

Roaming the land while you sleep..
deltaincline

« Reply #162 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 11:31:04 »

I'm not claiming that NT is a shit player, or captain - clearly he's not. Both Thompson's have passion by the bucket load and without the injuries, there is little doubt that Nathan would have got a move similar to his little brother.

Also, I'm not defending the booing fans - I fucking hate that shit, even after a game, and I never do it. Ever.

But, in my opinion Nathan isn't the player he thinks he is. Whether or not that's because of the injuries I don't know, but his position as club captain does not entitle him to take a swipe at fans.

As well as making snide comments, he's done the sarcastic, ironic slow hand clap bullshit on a couple of occasions when fans have vented there anger at shit performances, at the end of games, not during them, and although his comments may resonate with those who abhor booing the players, I don't happen to think they are helpful. Any player worthy of wearing the captains armband should be careful with their words and actions, not free with them.

I completely get the adulation; Local(ish) brothers breaking into the first team during the same era, both fully committed, both prepared to run through brick walls for the cause. Honestly, no argument from me on any of that, but they get handsomely rewarded and get all the trappings of success at our level, so its not all one way.

My problem with him is that I believe he's over stepping the mark and abusing / taking for granted the adulation and goodwill that he gets.

And if we're drawing comparisons with other STFC 'armband legends' show me where the likes of Sean Taylor or Colin Calderwood ever had a pop at the fans. Both were proper legends, had the same attributes as the Thompsons on and off the pitch, but they also knew how to conduct themselves with fans, sponsors and in print - regardless of their private opinions.

DRS

« Reply #163 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 11:39:15 »

They were shit first half, they were bood off the pitch and rightly so. They came out 2nd half and the fans were right behind them from the kick off its not as if it was relentless it was a reaction to utter shite.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Sunday, January 17, 2016, 11:43:49 »

Booing never seemed to be so prevalent after just 45 minutes as it does nowadays. That's within football in general.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: