Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: who is next then?  (Read 35004 times)
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Thursday, May 2, 2013, 22:58:51 »

Old ground, covered several times recently. I have been proven correct with 'scoops' in the past which were picked up by both local and national media outlets.

Barlow was of course a (very accurate) prediction.

I'd have thought you'd be very accurate, what with the whole time travel thing.

..never go back.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 06:21:12 »

I'm genuinely sad about Stuart Hall.

I realise that "I liked him" doesn't prove his innocence or anything, but it's sad.
I said exactly the same thing at work and was ridiculed!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 09:22:43 »

Jimmy Tarbuck & David Jason are on the rumour mill.

Forget Hall, Harris etc, if there's any substance in the latter, i'd lose faith in humankind
FlashGordon

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 09:31:13 »

I've heard the latter is next, from reliable sources..

Come on YOU REDS!
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #169 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 11:35:38 »

I would be gutted if it was David Jason.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 11:44:49 »

I forget where I read/saw this, but someone made a very good point a while back that following a public disgrace, the figure involved then gets quietly airbrushed from history.  Gary Glitter is a good example.  Watch one of those TV histories of 1980s glam rock, and he will barely feature...if at all.  But a few years back, it would have been unthinkable not to include him.

Next time you see Jimmy Carr presenting a 1980s kids' TV round up, look out for Jim'll Fix It.  Doubt that will feature now either...despite it being one of the top shows around at the time.  (Best theme tune as well.  Shame we'll be unlikely to hear it again.)  And when Stuart Hall finally pops his clogs - probably in jail - we're not going to get the back catalogue of his best OTT Shakespearean quotes used to describe a drab 1-1 draw at Wigan.

It's all a bit of a shame really.  As for 'who's next', I hope there aren't too many more and that this isn't the tip of an iceberg.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 11:52:02 »

Count Duckula is innocent, man.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 11:56:31 »

I forget where I read/saw this, but someone made a very good point a while back that following a public disgrace, the figure involved then gets quietly airbrushed from history.  Gary Glitter is a good example.  Watch one of those TV histories of 1980s glam rock, and he will barely feature...if at all.  But a few years back, it would have been unthinkable not to include him.

Next time you see Jimmy Carr presenting a 1980s kids' TV round up, look out for Jim'll Fix It.  Doubt that will feature now either...despite it being one of the top shows around at the time.  (Best theme tune as well.  Shame we'll be unlikely to hear it again.)  And when Stuart Hall finally pops his clogs - probably in jail - we're not going to get the back catalogue of his best OTT Shakespearean quotes used to describe a drab 1-1 draw at Wigan.

It's all a bit of a shame really.  As for 'who's next', I hope there aren't too many more and that this isn't the tip of an iceberg.

I personally think airbrushing people silently from history, whatever their actions, is ridiculous. I'm not saying they don't deserve their treatment for their crimes, it just seems wrong to me to ignore the fact they ever existed. There's nothing wrong with saying you enjoyed Jim'll Fix It as a kid, or Stuart Hall's match roundups. I can understand why people are loathe to enjoy these things now, in context, but feeling guilt by association seems daft to me.

If anything, not airbrushing these people from cultural memory, and remembering what happened, will likely prevent this kind of thing from happening in future. The fact we've got 60-odd year old people only coming forward now to say these things is terrifying, and indicitive of a time where people were scared to say something. It's not fixed now, but I do think on the whole the fear of coming forward to say something has happened has reduced dramatically.

Just waiting for Jeremy Kyle to get done now.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 11:58:27 »

When I was at university in the late 90s/early 00s, there was a jukebox in the main union bar. When no one had put any cash in, it was set to play at random.

Now, clearly no one had checked the back catalogue for some time, they'd just merely added more stuff to it now and again

One day,  it was on a random spin, and us mid afternoon drinkers were all shocked to hear a long lost refrain coming from the speakers around the very large bar.

"COME ON, COME ON/ COME ON COME ON.. I'm the leader, I'm the leader..."

Cue a red faced barman racing over and  desperately trying to change the track, he resorted to unplugging it in the end.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 12:01:58 »

I remember during my HMV days a lady asking for a Glitter best of compilation. She was wonderfully embarrassed by the whole thing. I did a quick search and all produced CD's were completely discontinued.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 12:03:16 »

To add to the points above... Growing up in the 90's, I knew of Gary Glitter as a peadophile before I knew he was a musician. I never heard any of his songs until a clip of one was played on a segment of the news.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 12:07:30 »

I remember during my HMV days a lady asking for a Glitter best of compilation. She was wonderfully embarrassed by the whole thing. I did a quick search and all produced CD's were completely discontinued.

Still available on Amazon and iTunes.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 12:08:52 »

Don't even want to think what the 'Amazon recommends' section will be like after you buy it.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 12:09:11 »

I'm sure Costanza is firing up his time machine as we speak just to tell that old lady where she can get her Glitter fix.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Friday, May 3, 2013, 12:42:02 »

I'm sure Costanza is firing up his time machine as we speak just to tell that old lady where she can get her Glitter fix.

Hmmm Seems HMV missed a yet another trick here. Mind you I wasn't searching for mp3's and the Amazon list are probably full of imports or back-catalogue editions.

Either way, DON'T WORRY LITTLE OLD LADY! I'LL BE BACK IN A MINUTE!

[url width=500 height=281]http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/crimsonpunk/timemachine.gif[/url]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: