Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Orient official matchday Fred  (Read 35946 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 19:16:47 »

The most exciting thing was speculating whether he drs was going to burn down Cool

?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 19:22:47 »

Did you not hear the fire-alarm? And the little red lights flashing. And the security woman telling stewards and policeman to get into position?

Things get better but they never get good
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 19:35:46 »

I werent there
Chippy Red

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 19:38:22 »

Im not against DW he just does things i dont agree with.  But hes the boss so i go with it.  I think he likes to tinker to much.  Personally i hate 433 for us as i dont think our players understand it or like it.  Its also making some players under perform.  JP had more assists than any one in league one last year.  Whats he good at ? Crossing !  so we now play him either at head of a diamond, or in the middle.  Same now with Caddis due to the others being injured or ill yesterday.

Last season we did pretty well didnt we, but it seems DW has thrown all that out the window.  The combination of JP and Kev now gone.  The threat of having 2 up front.  Yesterday Austin looked peed off to keep winning headers and no one being within 30 yards of him.  We seem to lack leaders on the pitch for me.  We dont look like the players talk to each other or gee each other up.  The first half yesterday was dire.  Surely they are told to get on the front foot and take the game to what if we are honest was a crap Orient team.  Can DW motivate ?

I think he got in wrong in the summer.  He bought players in where we were strong and left others untouched.  We lost certain qualities and he never replaced them.  Billy P held the ball up and scored goals.  Perricard is pants, i will never rate him ever.  We do need to replace greer.  We havent.  We now have Ritchie but can we keep him ?

Ok to be honest DW baffles me.  We are like 3 players down from last seasons A team.  Paynter , Greer and ward.  So if Ritchie replaces ward.  And he had brought in a striker and a center back we would have been sorted.  Why didnt he ?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 19:42:08 »

It's not as simple as saying if he bought a center back and striker we'd be fine. The center backs are fine, or at least no worse than last season, it's down the flanks teams get to us.

Chippy Red

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 19:46:28 »

Its like after the world cup 442 is yesterdays formation and no one should play it any more.  But it worked for us.  The wide midfileders teamed up with the full backs.  We got crosses in and had 2 strikers to aim at.  Now when we do get the ball wide we are aiming at 1 striker.  I gues as a fan we see 1 upfront and any manager wil say no there are 3 upfront.
Personally i think thats  bollocks.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 19:51:24 »

433/451/4231 works at international level because the players are fit enough, technically and tactically good enough to play that system. Teams won't have prolonged success at this level playing another system because the players aren't good enough. It's a rare thing to see

flammableBen

« Reply #322 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 20:08:19 »

Obviously Wilson was going for an attacking 4-3-3 but for whatever reasons - be it the players not being disciplined enough  or the tactics of Orient keeping them pinned back - it didn't really work out that well.

Next home game he should tell the players that they are playing 4-1-5, that should sort things out.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 21:11:53 »

Many of these formation mentioned are based on retaining possession - 442 is not. It's a formation based on fighting for the ball, banging it forward, losing it and fighting to get it back again. It is all about one on one contest. That is why it hasn't been working- we aren't keeping the ball and moving teams around. 
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 21:20:48 »

442 has worked (not necessarily with us!!) for years and years.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 21:22:19 »

The thing with 442 is that everyone knows how to play it. It's a simple but effective formation.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 21:41:34 »

Did you not hear the fire-alarm? And the little red lights flashing. And the security woman telling stewards and policeman to get into position?

Nope. What happened?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 21:46:06 »

Obviously Wilson was going for an attacking 4-3-3 but for whatever reasons - be it the players not being disciplined enough  or the tactics of Orient keeping them pinned back - it didn't really work out that well.

Next home game he should tell the players that they are playing 4-1-5, that should sort things out.

Orient were just as useless as we were, there is no way the way they were playing kept us pinned back.

We were simply sitting far too deep. Maybe because Wilson told them to, maybe because Wilson didn't tell them not to but whatever the reason, it was Wilson's fault. I don't know what the fuck he said to them at half time in the Rovers game but he should have said the same thing before and during the Orient game.

On a related note, I still don't get why managers or one of their coaching staff don't sit in the stands to watch the game. They'd get a far better view of what is going on and especially where things are going wrong. If they can see it, they can't change it and it's possible that's one of the problems we're suffering from.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 21:58:06 »

Nope. What happened?

There was a fire-alarm, the little red lights started flashing and the security woman told the stewards and policemen to get into position.

Then about 10 minutes later she told them to stand down

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 22:54:30 »

Chippy Red, are you seriously able to mentally hold it together while contradicting yourself in the same sentence?

You blame Wilson for baffling tactics then mention that injuries meant Caddis played in midfield, you slate the 4-4-2 but slate Wilson for not using it?

Last season, it was pretty clear that 4-4-2 was and always has been Wilson's favoured formation.  It was the same when he managed City and I'm fairly sure at Barnsley.

Yesterday, a 4-4-2 would have meant playing Ferry and possibly McGovern as the central two.  Given we've looked less asured this season even with Douglas playing, I think 4-4-2 looked too risky, especially off the back of a 5 goal wrapped present last week.  Injuries meant we've had to stick with a formation he'd prefer not to use.  Add into the mix Pericard being absent and Dossevi not having too much by way of match fitness it was way too risky on top of Austin being a minro doubt still (in so far as nobody knew if the shoulder would take a big knock yet).

So we were stuck with 4-5(3)-1(3).  It didn't work, fair enough, but the risks of 4-4-2 didn't stack up, not yet.  We will be back to 4-4-2 this season, that goes without saying.  He used 4-5-1 last year, around this part of the season (the games leading up to Austin coming in), and even for a little while longer I think, until the personnel matched what he needed - Douglas and Ferry, one stable crosser and one proper winger (even if he was a young striker, he played it well did Ward).

When we have a suitable central pairing in midfield, then I think with Ricthie now onboard we'll revert to 4-4-2.

My biggest worry is Kev at right back, hopefully Caddis can fill that role, because Kev looks like he needs a rest.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: