Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Slitty wrists V's Happy clappers  (Read 3435 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 22:23:27 »

While pure maths tells us the glass is both equally full as it is empty when half way, the telling of a story would require the context of whether the glass was either empty before being filled to half way or had in fact been full before some half had been removed.

I happen to be in pretty much the same frame of mind that I was this time last year.  I think we've got more potential than we are showing, I think we can make a push at play offs but expect no more and would be satisfied, if not ecstatic, with being in the hunt for a play off spot with 6 games to go.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 22:34:08 »

I don't have a glass.
flammableBen

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 22:54:25 »

I'd think that a lot of the full/empty perception would come from the shape of the glass. A glass fairly wide at the top and narrow at the bottom would mean that at half capacity the liquid would reach well above half of the height, possibly influencing the owner to subconsciously be edged towards the 'full' observation. Whist a glass which is narrow at the top and wide at the bottom would have a half way point nearer the bottom, maybe setting off more of an internal 'empty' reaction.

The shape of glass a participant of the "glhalfuhempty question" envisions could well be as much an indicator of their attitude as the contents of the glass itself.

I think people should go into more details on the properties of their drinking receptacle, going into particular detail on shape, weight, colour, as well as the perceived full/emptiness of it's contents when at half capacity. As well as being an indicator of their over all attitude it might also give an insight of the internal consistency of their views.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 09:20:11 »

I'd think that a lot of the full/empty perception would come from the shape of the glass. A glass fairly wide at the top and narrow at the bottom would mean that at half capacity the liquid would reach well above half of the height, possibly influencing the owner to subconsciously be edged towards the 'full' observation. Whist a glass which is narrow at the top and wide at the bottom would have a half way point nearer the bottom, maybe setting off more of an internal 'empty' reaction.

The shape of glass a participant of the "glhalfuhempty question" envisions could well be as much an indicator of their attitude as the contents of the glass itself.

I think people should go into more details on the properties of their drinking receptacle, going into particular detail on shape, weight, colour, as well as the perceived full/emptiness of it's contents when at half capacity. As well as being an indicator of their over all attitude it might also give an insight of the internal consistency of their views.

I think what you're getting at here is the classic Piagetian theory of conservation of volume in the concrete operations phase of cognitive development.

Piaget, would present two same size glasses half full with liquid and ask the say 10 year old kid, which contained the most. They're both the same would be the answer. Piaget would then transfer one glass into a tall skinny glass and ask the same question.  The clever kids who understand logic will say they're both the same, those with a less than firm grasp of logic will say the tall skinny one.

There's a few on here who'd favour the tall skinny one  Smiley
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 09:59:22 »

Glass, that's a fucking luxury.

We don't have a fucking glass we have to suck on a damp cloth.

All you fucking smug bastards with your fancy drinking recepticals.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 10:29:50 »

"There's a few on here who'd favour the tall skinny one "

Is that a bit like prefering Tess Daly to Holly Willoughby ?   Bye
jb

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 10:30:54 »

Willabooby?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 10:57:52 »

Of course, we need to consider the environmental factors in the discussion.  Should water freeze, it would expand, while significant temp would cause evaporation, meaning the actual displacement could vary and knowing at what point to guage the fullness or emptiness is critical.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 11:06:18 »

And make sure you're measuring from the centre of the meniscus.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 11:16:00 »

Of course, we need to consider the environmental factors in the discussion.  Should water freeze, it would expand, while significant temp would cause evaporation, meaning the actual displacement could vary and knowing at what point to guage the fullness or emptiness is critical.

You assume that the liquid is water.

You also assume that the content in question is liquid.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 11:16:19 »

There's a few on here, who'd prefer Tom Daly or even John Daly to Holly Willoughby.

Further, Charl Willoughby to Tess Daly
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 11:27:32 »

Is that a bit like prefering Tess Daly to Holly Willoughby ?   Bye

How could anyone do that. Willoughby is perfect, where as Daly is so brain dead she married the ever annoying Vernon Kay.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 11:58:26 »

How could anyone do that. Willoughby is perfect, where as Daly is so brain dead she married the ever annoying Vernon Kay.

I didn't say that I'd prefer Tess to Holly, far from it - I just couldn't think of any other tall skinnies to make a comparison.

However, had it been "bird with a long neck" well.. that would have been easy.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 12:04:33 »

However, had it been "bird with a long neck" well.. that would have been easy.

[url width=315 height=450]http://www.topnews.in/files/Ostrich-Eggs.jpg[/url]

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 12:08:31 »

meep meep

[url width=177 height=238]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u81/your_other_conscience/roadrunner.jpg[/url]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: