Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Scunthorpe  (Read 37092 times)
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 22:12:24 »

It occurs that perhaps because a relegation struggle is ultimately binary, black or white, it shouldn't be too surprising that so much opinion is likewise.  And that when the result is indeed confirmed as black, that Power out, Williams out, players out, Embleton out, physio out (oh) is a natural and understandable reaction.  However, even without the benefit of reflection, even staring at the dismal evidence of two and a bit years, I still think reality is somewhat greyer.

Anyway, after 44 mainly miserable league games, here we are at the GWR barbeque, nodding at longstanding half acquaintances, part watching the cricket and kids playing football, all seeking the last knockings of hope in glasses considerably less than half full.  It's my first visit here, and all because of the efforts of the few who've tried valiantly to improve the matchday experience of the many.  Thank you.

There's a decent crowd inside the ground, and whilst there's some initial encouragement, absolutely gone is the actual expectation and even excitement that filled the air just a couple of long, long weeks ago.  As mentioned above, the reading of the roll of honour is so bungled, so rushed, so obscured by applause, that I barely heard a name.  Sometimes it's the small things.  A loyal, humbling list of supporters who can never come back; I can't help but wonder how long the list will be of those who won't come back.

My heart sank yesterday when I realised Scunthorpe were still in with an automatic shout  - there would be no resting of players,  and no minds wandering absently to the summer in Skegness.  Thus they started brightly and efficiently, without necessarily giving the impression that they'd be leading us on a merry dance. But we could do that ourselves!  Vigs didn't come for a harmless through ball, which resulted in Branco then hoofing off for the softest of corners.  I know what you're saying - it was only a corner, and they're not even going to score for two minutes.  But like I said, it's the small things.  So when they work the same short corner routine that they scored from up there, ending up in another corner, I am already unreasonably apoplectic. Fear not, I'm won't analyse every passage of play like this, but this limp, half-arsed minute or two somehow sums up the whole sorry season.  The next corner is woefully over hit yet hunted down by their centre half who turns Connor Thomas (more soon) this way and that before delivering a cross for someone else to bundle home, probably using his hand.

Now I don't think Luke Williams (or anyone really) deserves abuse or ridicule, but all of that, like this most sleepwalked into of relegations, was totally preventable.  And whilst individual mistakes will happen, the likelihood of making them is (from a coaching perspective) easy enough to reduce.  Which is why I tend to take a sharp intake of breath and beg to differ when I hear that Luke is a good coach but a bad manager.  Yes, he's a progressive, developmental coach, the type quite rightly beloved by the FA, and I genuinely enjoy listening to his rationale and explanations and knowledge.  In time, who knows, but right here right now, at best the approach has been hopelessly naive.  Whatever, the philosophy, the implementation, the result, Luke's coaching - they are all rotten.

With my ire drawn, the game seems to meander along, Scunthorpe content to sit in whilst we huff and puff: Obika receives everything, turns then loses it.  Ajose is invisible - coaching point again - Williams eulogised his quality when given that one opportunity from a Colkett ball at Fleetwood, clearly tried to repeat it in the first 20 at Walsall...so where did that intent go?  Of hitting space early and behind the line? Ajose missed that sitter in the first minute against Oxford, and has barely had a shot at the CG since.

The atmosphere turned nasty, stewards pouring to the Arkells from all directions, and a seething mass of dissent all around the ground that we've not previously heard.  As much as anything, it felt sad, that here we were, collectively giving up, one goal down with an hour to go.  Some of the players visibly shrunk, and we all limped to half time for a cup of tea and a calm down.

The second half brought a change in shape, a modicum of urgency yet no tremendous sense that this was our time.  i could pick out Barry or Gladwin or the referee, but Connor Thomas.  Really.  A player so completely insipid, so incredibly inconsequential that I don't know where to start.  However he plays in the way I do my supermarket shopping with a hangover without wearing glasses: wandering aimlessly and indecisively this way and that whilst nothing around me makes sense, avoiding bumping into other people, desperate to be somewhere, anywhere else.

Both teams scored a goal each, Ince's summing up his splendid contribution which sadly will only be a footnote to the sorry season, although minds were already on the final whistle and beyond.  Eventually the referee gave us a comedy moment, hurtling for the sanctuary of the tunnel in fear of the imaginary hostile invading mob.  Many were already drifting away, others waiting to pour scorn, whether the players came back out or perhaps thankfully, not.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 23:12:06 by Christy » Logged
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 22:55:37 »

Christy's match reports have been by far the best part of this season.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 22:57:00 »

I think reading Christy's write up was the most enjoyable part of today.

Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 00:39:25 »

The vermin who think we will play their part in this sad charade will answer to us
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 00:41:30 »

At last something to read that makes sense well done Sam Morsehead.
The sorry few who say fuck off to fans who have had enough,lost the passion,got bored,say your not real fans can you all do one.
Personally i have watched the town since 1979,been to around 65 away grounds,been up and down like a yo-yo but have kept up interest in supporting my local team.I go with my dad and son both of whom are in the same frame of mind as me,this isn't our club anymore it's just a farm the owner uses to sell this years crop.This years crop is rotten,worthless and most of all useless.
Sad,angry feel used the feelings are draining.
It would take a major change in direction for Power to keep us from falling out of the league,if he does it why didn't he do it in January?

Do you realise that the reasons behind our demise are as a result of the sort of economic changes actively brought about by Morsheads employers? It's where we are, happily you still retain the right to do something about it...
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 00:54:16 »

Well said Reg,

We're very fucking annoyed

Division 2?

Humiliated
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 00:57:16 »

Reg your fucking deluded,say good night to Power will you.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 07:09:00 »

all i read was a couple of fans were being vocal towards the dynamic duo on the bench, some stewards tried to frogmarch them out, and a larger group of fans didn't think it was on.. whether said two fans were physically threatening as well i don't know.

also read some were removed from some sponsors suit for voicing an opinion...

A guy and his son were in suits for the second half in the DRS. They told us that they were chucked out of hospitality for starting a 'we want Power out' chant. I did find it an odd choice of clothing for the DRS!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 08:44:47 »

Sherwood on Goals on Sunday basically blaming the players and the council for the mess we are in, taking no responsibility whatsoever. Shrugged his shoulders when asked if he was staying, and said 'it wasnt a job, i was there for four weeks to put some deals together'

Bottler
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 08:49:17 »

Biggest appointment in the club's history
woolster

« Reply #175 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 08:55:48 »

Biggest appointment in the club's history
don't you mean disappointment Bye
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 09:07:21 »

There's a lot of people at the club who have tarnished reputations now. Wonder coach Williams and his sidekick Embleton, Sherwood (Who did fuck all anyway) not to mention a long list of players who either weren't up to the job, or just didn't want to put the effort in. I don't agree that loan players don't care though, try telling that to Ince, it's the permanent signings we made that were more disappointing.

The person who shoulders 100% of the blame though is Power. Giving a youth team coach a 5 year contract to manage the first team? I hope he's as good as his word and changes things for next season, as if we prepare for league 2 in the same way as we have for the last 2 seasons in league 1 we're going to see another relegation fight.

It's All Good..............
woolster

« Reply #177 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 09:10:02 »

There's a lot of people at the club who have tarnished reputations now. Wonder coach Williams and his sidekick Embleton, Sherwood (Who did fuck all anyway) not to mention a long list of players who either weren't up to the job, or just didn't want to put the effort in. I don't agree that loan players don't care though, try telling that to Ince, it's the permanent signings we made that were more disappointing.

The person who shoulders 100% of the blame though is Power. Giving a youth team coach a 5 year contract to manage the first team? I hope he's as good as his word and changes things for next season, as if we prepare for league 2 in the same way as we have for the last 2 seasons in league 1 we're going to see another relegation fight.
spot on
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 09:11:37 »

Power will try and say all the right things about rebuilding and massive changes to appease the disappearing fan base then cobble together a squad of misfits less than two weeks before the start of the season.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, April 23, 2017, 09:25:34 »

Power will try and say all the right things about rebuilding and massive changes to appease the disappearing fan base then cobble together a squad of misfits less than two weeks before the start of the season.

I'm really hoping he doesn't, but given his form over the last 2 summers.... The big concern for him, if he wants to continue with his model, is how many premier league clubs will want to send their players to a basement club on loan? Especially one that is as shit as ours.

I'll still be there next season, Town being a basket case is nothing new...

It's All Good..............
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: