Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Religion.  (Read 10546 times)
flammableBen

« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 11:25:52 »

Very few wars throughout history have just been about religion. It's been a factor, but rarely without other political/economic factors to go with it.

The whole thing saying it's all fairy tails is a bit silly too. I'm not religious at all, but lot's of the settings in the bible have a fair amount of historical background behind them. It's not really like dragons and faeries at all. Even the stuff which has been fairly twisted by the more religious dogmatic has hints of actual events through it.

Many of the moral/rules set out by religions, although out dated now, would have made a lot of sense a few thousand years ago. Not being gay and having lot's of wives would have made sense because it would have been important to have lot's of children. In more insular communities it'd have been important to have children to make sure there was a continuation for the tribe, and from a personal common sense point of view, it would have been important to make sure there would have been people to look after you when you get old.

The problem religions have now, is that the more our lives change from how they were a few thousand years ago, the less relevant some of their guides for living our. Which means you have to adapt which beliefs are still relevant to modern day life. If you're capable of that and keeping your faith then fair play.

Religions have done stuff influenced some sketchy happenings when they've had power, but I'd say that's more of a side affect of power than religion. The same can be said for most ruling classes throughout history.

So errr.. yeah. I don't believe in a god; or that Jesus was the son of god (he might have been a pretty wise dude who was good at rationing out fish); Muhammed was probably an awesomely wise bloke but I don't believe he was an actual prophet; Moses was probably fucked off his head on something to have burning bushes talk to him; etc. I don't find any beliefs in these things, but the religious texts themselves are pretty fascinating. And if you can find belief, then there are probably worse ways to live your life.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 11:40:12 »

:shock:

Good post Ben.
Barry Scott

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 12:38:28 »

I'm an atheist and i dislike religion. I hate the relationship between religions and the hatred they hold for each other.

I don't dislike people who are religious, but i do find it annoying that many attribute people's good to the ways of the bible. The bible doesn't make people good, it just tells people things they thought and felt anyway and then allows followers to feel vindicated.

Religion doesn't make you good, common sense and nurture does. There are 22,000 different "re-prints" of the bible, and it's been constantly changed to fit with a time and society. Why? Because earlier versions of the bible included numerous atrocities in "the name of the lord", such as moses and his soldiers slaying thousands of people for not embracing god. Then for his soldiers to "have fun" with the women and children left over.

Religion has often been used as an excuse to cause harm and an excuse to lock away your common sense and rational thought.

For example, take Jewish priests in New York (the only place where this is still legal). Traditional circumcisions performed by the priest, involves the priest taking the child's penis into his mouth and sucking the foreskin off, post cutting... WTF???!!!! It's religion, therefore it's ok.

In some parts of Africa women have the clitorises cut off at a young age and have their labia removed and vagina's sewn shut. Many women die of this due to the obvious hygiene problems that are caused. The women then "have to" have the man force his way through the stitches to take the womens virginity. It's absurd! If they fail to do this, do they go to Hell? Do we all go to hell in the eyes of their religion because we don't do this? Come on... It's fucking disgusting people have these things forced on them.

Anyone ever read up on how Mormonism came about? That, hands down, has to be the most amusing of any origin of religion. Watch the Southpark episode on it, it's ace and factually correct.

The Koran and the prophet are equally absurd.

I'll quit while i'm behind and i've not offended everyone. Cheesy

Watch Zeitgeist (The Movie), that has a pretty good summation of religion and it's more factual origins.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 12:41:45 »

I'm an atheist - I don't believe in the after life and all that. Once you're dead, you're dead. I do actually lead a fairly Christian lifestyle as do my family. My kids can make their own choices on religion when they are older.

As for those who are religious ( of whatever persuasion ) then good luck to them. I respect them and their beliefs - even if I don't agree. If it gives them comfort and security then fantastic.

But also be tolerant and respectful of my decision to be atheist.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 16:32:40 »

I think polytheism is great - you can get your own personal God. Personally I haven't got any Gods and find the whole thing rather perplexing.
Organised religion is boring to me and I don't like being told what to do and how to live my life- so they can all fuck off.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 17:01:31 »

Plenty of good points being raised although you wouldn't believe how tired I am of hearing the old "the Bible has too many contradictions" line without anybody ever convincing me of a single one. And I'm pretty sure I've spent more time reading it than most on here.

Also, to say that religion is bad because people use it for bad purposes is a contradiction in itself. Religion is used by people like those who disagree with it on this thread - people who have never truly been dedicated to it and take only the bits that suit them and ignore the rest. That's not a judgement on people on here - merely an explanation of why religion has caused problems.

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 17:10:31 »

i'm a total non believer.
i dont believe in the after life either.
religions generally are all in hope of what happens when we die.its all about fear of death.
i'm buggered either way cause even if there is a god i'll burn in hell as a non believer anyway.
lebowski

« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 17:11:59 »

He will forgive you my brother...
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 17:14:14 »

I'm trying to think now of any bits of religion that I pick and choose but I can't come up with any.

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 17:27:48 »

i'd ask any christian to explain these.
 the dinosaurs,proof of evolution which is growing by the day,though shall not kill(but they eat meat),why a non believer will burn in hell,where is hell,the laughable old testment,why is easter on a different day every year,how can a human get pregnant wothout a males sperm,how can anything create the world in 7 days,etc,etc,etc.thats off the top of my head and i could go on for hours.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 17:27:54 »

Quote from: "reeves4england"
Plenty of good points being raised although you wouldn't believe how tired I am of hearing the old "the Bible has too many contradictions" line without anybody ever convincing me of a single one. And I'm pretty sure I've spent more time reading it than most on here.

Also, to say that religion is bad because people use it for bad purposes is a contradiction in itself. Religion is used by people like those who disagree with it on this thread - people who have never truly been dedicated to it and take only the bits that suit them and ignore the rest. That's not a judgement on people on here - merely an explanation of why religion has caused problems.

Reeves - what about this one ?

Was baby Jesus’ life threatened in Jerusalem?

(a)   Yes, so Joseph fled with him to Egypt and stayed there until Herod died (Matthew 2:13 23)

(b)   No. The family fled nowhere. They calmly presented the child at the Jerusalem temple according to the Jewish customs and returned to Galilee (Luke 2:21-40)

Seems like a simple contradiction to me.......

Wise men say........
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 17:45:28 »

Quote from: "sheepshagger"

(a)   Yes, so Joseph fled with him to Egypt and stayed there until Herod died (Matthew 2:13 23)

(b)   No. The family fled nowhere. They calmly presented the child at the Jerusalem temple according to the Jewish customs and returned to Galilee (Luke 2:21-40)

Jesus was presented after Mary and Joseph's time of purification had ended. Not sure how long this is exactly, but a matter of weeks I think. They fled to Egypt around 2 years after Jesus was born, hence Herod ordering the slaughter of all boys under the age of 2
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 18:05:43 »

What about Adam and Eve?

Evolution has been scientifically proved as Fact, and yet Christians beleive that Adam and Eve where the first 2 humans, just sort of "Put there" by god.

Also if, for the sake of argument, then the Adam and Eve story is true, the just how did we not all and up seriously deformed through in-breeding?

What I mean to ask is, do Christians dis-beleive evolution?
land_of_bo

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 18:26:38 »

It is a difficult subject. I certainly think many devout christains certainly have a superiority complex. My wife was once told while travelling in a car full of christians that if the car crashed "she would go to hell as the only non christian in the car". That sort of statement doesn't exacly endear the bible bashers to me.

Fair enough if people need something to believe in. But I don't like it when I or others are judged for making a decision of non belief. I am still a "good person", I still treat others with respect, as I expect to be treated by others, and when I die I will donate my organs worth having and then be buried, end of story.

I think for some people believing in god and heaven comforts them when they think of dying, they can't accept the situation I mentioned above and think they will be lonely when they die and their soul will be lost. I can't criticise that viewpoint, horses for courses and all that, but it aint for me.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2008, 18:47:11 »

Quote from: "sheepshagger"

Jesus was presented after Mary and Joseph's time of purification had ended. Not sure how long this is exactly, but a matter of weeks I think. They fled to Egypt around 2 years after Jesus was born, hence Herod ordering the slaughter of all boys under the age of 2

But according to the book of Matthew they did flee there, but the book of Luke said they did not ....

How can this be interpreted as anything else other than a contradiction.....?

Wise men say........
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: