Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New mobile phone  (Read 52789 times)
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010, 19:00:53 »

Already been left in a bar in California by an engineer apaprently

Yeah it's been leaked on a techie geek site thing. I like the look of it but it will cost shed loads on top of a contract no doubt. Thats the only reason I haven't gone with an Iphone before.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010, 20:15:22 »

Not true.

Ah cool, that gives me more options then.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, April 20, 2010, 21:51:15 »

When the iphone 4G comes out it will be well expensive.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 08:29:42 »

When the iphone 4G comes out it will be well expensive.

honestly ??
Barry Scott

« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 08:52:37 »

iPhone 4G is going to have their new Ad Platform (iAds) installed in it to allow advertising within Apps. This is because Steve Jobs reckons app developers make no money... Ooookay then Steve... If you're going to lie, don't lie about something, which everyone knows isn't true.

It's going to give advertisers somewhere in the region of 1 Billion impressions a day. 60% of revenue will be shared with App Developers to motivate them into retro fitting their apps and using the service.

Welcome to the new Apple income stream, your new mobile advertising centre, the iPhone 4G. Smiley
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 11:02:18 »

iPhone 4G is going to have their new Ad Platform (iAds) installed in it to allow advertising within Apps. This is because Steve Jobs reckons app developers make no money... Ooookay then Steve... If you're going to lie, don't lie about something, which everyone knows isn't true.

iAds is part of iPhone OS v4, so will be in all the iPhones that support it (which I think is all the 3G phones).

There are already various ad platforms that developers use to put ads in their apps, this is just Apple's version. The developers that make no money which Steve Jobs referred to are those that don't charge for their apps and are reliant upon ads for their income. Nothing has really changed with iAds so its a bit of a non event rather than the mass conspiracy you seem to be portraying it as.
Barry Scott

« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 11:52:53 »

iAds is part of iPhone OS v4, so will be in all the iPhones that support it (which I think is all the 3G phones).

There are already various ad platforms that developers use to put ads in their apps, this is just Apple's version. The developers that make no money which Steve Jobs referred to are those that don't charge for their apps and are reliant upon ads for their income. Nothing has really changed with iAds so its a bit of a non event rather than the mass conspiracy you seem to be portraying it as.

Mass conspiracy indeed...  Roll Eyes I'll put that defensive outburst down to Apple Fanboyism.

1 Billion impressions is from Steve Jobs' own mouth (and is something which isn't currently accessible to advertisers) and he also refers to those charging "too little for their apps" as making no money. Besides, alot has changed, this introduces the likelihood of masses of free apps supported solely on ad revenues. There's no conspiracy, just a turning of the tide.

iAds, is far from a non-event. It will be absolutely massive because the implementation of iAds is slick as fuck. The current display advertising within iPhones is unacceptable to both advertisers and even more so to users. It's clunky and renders 99% of ads ineffective and pointless (for the advertiser). iAds cleans it up and makes ads more like apps, therefore friendlier, therefore likely to offer a return.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 11:54:16 »

iAds was the major feature Jobs went on about at the launch/preview event they held for OS4 recently. He clearly doesn't see it as a non-event
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 12:09:30 »

Maybe non-event was a bad choice of words, but it ain't as revolutionary as was made out. It's just Apple's take on ads within apps, nothing more, nothing less. The 1 billion figure was just plucked from the air, based on the number of devices out there and a certain number of impressions per day per device, nothing scientific about it, plus those impressions are already there.

Whether iAds are slick as fuck or not, the main factor for developer is the returns they get from the ads. If iAds doesn't increase the returns developers won't support it and will just stick with the current advertising platforms. There is no guarantee it will work, especially as Apple are going up against Google who are the clear market leader in mobile advertising.

It wasn't even the main feature of the iPhone OS v4 presentation, that was the new multi tasking system.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 12:30:03 »

iads is an anagram of aids.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 12:34:39 »

iads is an anagram of aids.

He said

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 12:35:03 »

From the dias.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Barry Scott

« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 12:47:09 »

Maybe non-event was a bad choice of words, but it ain't as revolutionary as was made out. It's just Apple's take on ads within apps, nothing more, nothing less. The 1 billion figure was just plucked from the air, based on the number of devices out there and a certain number of impressions per day per device, nothing scientific about it, plus those impressions are already there.

Whether iAds are slick as fuck or not, the main factor for developer is the returns they get from the ads. If iAds doesn't increase the returns developers won't support it and will just stick with the current advertising platforms. There is no guarantee it will work, especially as Apple are going up against Google who are the clear market leader in mobile advertising.

It wasn't even the main feature of the iPhone OS v4 presentation, that was the new multi tasking system.

jonny, i know you're always right and love a good pedantry based discussion, but you fail to grasp this at all. 1 billion impressions isn't meant to be scientific or a headline grabber, it's simply potential eyeballs. Also, with the platform being owned by apple they have the single most important piece of information, at their finger tips, and likely available to advertisers. Customer information. Demographics. You know your audience's age, sex and location, you've won a massive part of the battle before a penny is spent.

Also, regardless of the size of Google's AdMob, do you not think that iAds will steamroller anyone who's advertising currently? They will, this WILL obliterate current in app advertising, because they can get themselves in front of anything. First.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 13:12:19 »

I don't get why you think it is a big deal for the consumers, developers and advertisers might be knocking one off about it but for everyone else it's just another form of advertising - something which most people do their best to avoid where possible.

You're right about the high level of detailed demographics Apple will be able to offer advertisers and they appear to be removing access to this for other ad networks. But again, I'm not sure this will have much affect on consumers.

And no, I don't think it will obliterate current in app advertising as it isn't going to appeal to all advertisers. It will cost a fair bit of money to develop the ads to the level Apple will require, it will most likely cost more than current ads do and it just isn't a suitable platform for a lot of advertisements - it might work well for advertising a movie, but not so well for an online shop.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 14:34:31 »

Not what el Reg reckoned: they had the iAd stuff as being the main feature Jobs focused on and everything else being a bit "Oh, yeah, and there's this stuff too"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/08/iphone_4_dot_0/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: