Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New mobile phone  (Read 51166 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 12:05:02 »

My Sony C905 has crapped out again (c button not working) and rather than pay to get it repaired phones4u will buy me out of my contract 5 months early.

So what latest flashy phones can people recommend me? My only criteria is that it must be good for the internet and if it is touch screen it has a big screen because I'm a complete flid when it comes to texting etc. Everyone recommends the iphone but the HTC hd2 has better specs it seems. I know nothing of Blackberrys other than the fact some people love them and some people hate them.

I'll be spending around £35 a month and I don't want to pay for the phone.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 12:13:27 »

If you want to stick with Sony, the Xperia X10 looks interesting. Specs beat the iPhone into a cocked hat, but as the cult of Jobs will tell you, it's not about the specs, it's all about the "user experience". I have to declare an interest here, I'm interested in one myself but not sure what they're like to use so I'd quite like it if you got one and tried it out for me Smiley
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 12:19:58 »

I won't be getting a Sony. I'm on my 4th C905 and it's been repaired once before, now it's broken again.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 13:38:23 »

I won't be getting a Sony. I'm on my 4th C905 and it's been repaired once before, now it's broken again.
Ah, but that's just the C905 though. I'm sure the Xperia's a quality piece of kit. Or, at least if it isn't, I'd rather you found out than me Smiley
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 14:09:57 »

There are loads of good reviews on smartphones out there, you can usually pick up the links from Reevoo.com and Sony phones usually good for their media/cameras etc but have had to do some catching up on the touch screen and app technology. Some good reviews on HTC phones if you don't want to go down the iphone route.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 14:43:30 »

I've had a look and the HTC Desire looks a good bet. Lack of voice dialing could be problematic, I'm trying to see if there is an app to do it or similar.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 16:21:09 »

Si, have a look at the new HTC Legend, the latest issue of PC Pro rates it quite highly
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 16:22:55 »

Don't get a Blackberry, they were only made for emailing.

Personally I would get an iPhone, but I know very little about all these new mobiles. All the networks offer pretty much the same for your money on iPhone contracts, though I think O2 have the best deals. You have to buy the phone, though I'm sure you could negotiate a half price reduction with them. I'd also be thinking that with an iPhone I'm getting an iPod and camera, so its worth the investment (and the money I'd recoup from eBaying my camera and Nano).

That said I'm sticking with my ancient mobile, £15 a month and nothing more, does what I need it to and people spend too long looking at their phones these days.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 16:30:26 »

FWIW I am enjoying using the cheapest android OS phone money can buy - a t-mobile pulse (£120). I wouldn't recommend it if you actually want to make phone calls, sound quality is crap.

The point is I am quite impressed with Android, enough to start thinking about a Desire/Legend. Not as many apps as iphone...yet ..but enough.

Obviously the downside to smartphones is the battery life. I assume that's improving with each new generation.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 16:34:29 »

The new iPhone is due in June, so if you decide to get one it would be worth waiting if only to get a better deal on the current models. I wouldn't change my iPhone for any other phone and I'm yet to read a review that rates another phone higher. There's a lot of good new stuff in the next version of the iPhone OS as well, also due in a couple of months.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 16:49:59 »

I can't really wait because this phone is broken and iPhones seem too expensive.
Moose

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 17:11:46 »

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-desire-679515/review

HTC Sense is amazing, you won't regret a Desire/Legend.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 17:52:55 »

http://tinyurl.com/y4dzmod
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 19:38:37 »

I use an HTC Touch-Pro 2, with the full microsoft office suite on it. When it dies I will def get an HTC again.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 19:43:29 »

Another vote for HTC + Android. Hero in my case, but there are definitely better phones out there now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: