Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walsall vs Swindon Town - Official Match Day Thread  (Read 27051 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 23:19:13 »

A welcome point from what sounds like a half-decent performance, but I'm not going to relax until Reg comes on and tells me it's now okay to.

Nobody has gone down with 52 this century. Which is encouraging, however it is possible to go with 52 as we've managed it ourselves in 81/82.  Donny are now out of the equation...so althoough not quite out of the mire yet, we can at least breathe a little easier.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 06:23:00 »

We could do with doughty on a permanent basis
To me, Doughty is 'a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a vest'. On the one hand, he's scored some vital goals without which we would, quite frankly be going down and he clearly is a player with some ability. A goal scoring midfielder is invaluable to any team - that's 'Good Doughty'.

'Bad Doughty' on the other hand, gets pushed off the ball too easily, stays routed to the spot instead of moving to help a team mate (particularly noticeable at throw ins on Saturday) and strolls around for large parts of games.

If we were to sign him, maybe 'the-best-coach-I've-seen-in-25-years' can get a better, more consistent level of performance from him. If not, I can see him being one of those 'marmite' love him/hate him players who polarizes opinion.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was one of the players Power has a deal lined up with.*

*Not ITK, just a 'feeling in my water' kind of thing.

REDBUCK

« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 07:30:47 »

Valid points but that's the baggage you get with league one players. They can't and won't be all Deli Ali
lambourn red

« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 07:34:12 »

Nobody has gone down with 52 this century. Which is encouraging, however it is possible to go with 52 as we've managed it ourselves in 81/82.  Donny are now out of the equation...so althoough not quite out of the mire yet, we can at least breathe a little easier.

Surely with Blackpool playing Fleetwood this weekend only a remarkable set of results in the last 2 assuming we don't get a point at least Saturday and then lose the last 2. Fleetwood have Walsall away and Blackpool have Wigan to play in the last 2.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 07:36:47 »

Full squad we've shown we can match pretty much anyone. Now they are all back we'll get between 3 and 5 points from the last 3.
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:08:19 »

agree completely re Doughty being a marmte player - You can veer between frustration and elation within minutes with him. Millwall for example where I thought he was poor until he popped up with a 94th minute equaliser. . Only 2 goals in 74 games - most out on loan - before this season suggests, that for him as well as us, the chance of a regular start and some goals might be an incentive to join in the summer. The wages we might be offering in comparison with QPR might well put kybosh on that though

Knowing the way Power operates a couple of deals already lined up probably involves season long loans for Turnbull and Louis T. What exactly are the new rules regarding loans for next season?

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:10:05 »

To me, Doughty is 'a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a vest'. On the one hand, he's scored some vital goals without which we would, quite frankly be going down and he clearly is a player with some ability. A goal scoring midfielder is invaluable to any team - that's 'Good Doughty'.

'Bad Doughty' on the other hand, gets pushed off the ball too easily, stays routed to the spot instead of moving to help a team mate (particularly noticeable at throw ins on Saturday) and strolls around for large parts of games.

If we were to sign him, maybe 'the-best-coach-I've-seen-in-25-years' can get a better, more consistent level of performance from him. If not, I can see him being one of those 'marmite' love him/hate him players who polarizes opinion.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was one of the players Power has a deal lined up with.*

*Not ITK, just a 'feeling in my water' kind of thing.

My observation is we see bad Doughty when he is in the middle with Anton Rodgers. He basically has to do the job of 2 people and ends up dropping alot deeper than a player of his quality should
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:18:13 »

My observation is we see bad Doughty when he is in the middle with Anton Rodgers. He basically has to do the job of 2 people and ends up dropping alot deeper than a player of his quality should

You could have something there.

I haven't been to as many games as most but I have been impressed with Doughty everytime I see him. Its great we have someone who offers goals from midfield if Ajose/Obika aren't scoring. I'd love for us to sign him on a free if he is available. I think its clear Robert is off, so potentially we can use his wages to try and sign Doughty?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:18:30 »

Walsall fans and staff very complimentary. Interestingly a few on their forum seem to really rate Brophy! I still struggle to see why so many on here think he is turd. First season in league football and he's improved considerably, I predict that in a years time we'll all be pissed off that he's about to be sold!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:21:13 »

I agree with you and OST on this, he is so hit and miss, sometimes brilliant and sometimes very poor, but never as poor as every time I have seen Rodgers play.

The team does carry Rodgers and Doughty always covers a lot of ground even when playing poorly but he does need somebody good alongside to get the best out of him, he gets in some great positions too going forward just needs a bit more composure, but thats why hes playing for us and not QPR at the moment.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:22:04 »

A lot of praise for us over on the Walsall forum, with Brophy being picked out by a few as our best player.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:25:36 »

Walsall fans and staff very complimentary. Interestingly a few on their forum seem to really rate Brophy! I still struggle to see why so many on here think he is turd. First season in league football and he's improved considerably, I predict that in a years time we'll all be pissed off that he's about to be sold!
I think Brophy is a lot like Byrne when he first came to us, not sure on his best position and looks way out of position at times, doesn't find defending comes easily but is good going forward. He is more of a winger than a wingback for me but I think hes come along well this season and don't understand the stick he gets either.

Lets hope he does a Byrne and comes into his own in the next two years in a more forward role (if given and extension of contract).

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:44:47 »

I can understand, and expect, L1 players not to have the quality of those higher up the leagues.

But what really pisses me off is the lack of application. Any player can put effort in tracking back or just putting his body between an opponent with the ball to slow them down - you don't need talent for that, just willpower

Marry that to a bit of talent and you've got a chance.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:54:06 »

Surely with Blackpool playing Fleetwood this weekend only a remarkable set of results in the last 2 assuming we don't get a point at least Saturday and then lose the last 2. Fleetwood have Walsall away and Blackpool have Wigan to play in the last 2.

A Fleetwood win would do very nicely thankyou.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 08:54:26 »

A lot of praise for us over on the Walsall forum, with Brophy being picked out by a few as our best player.

I was about to post something similar.

http://www.upthesaddlers.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=49191&start=120

Refreshing to see honest praise from opposition fans who must have been frustrated last night given where they are in the league.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: