Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: January transfer window thread  (Read 128693 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 21:59:22 »

Now go and write an article about Manatees whilst you think about what you have done.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 23:28:38 »

A few pages back I promised a thrilling article on Oliver Risser and his four tackles per game.
So here it is: http://thewashbag.com/2011/12/14/making-up-the-numbers-does-oliver-rissers-contribution-to-swindon-add-up/

Quality stuff that, not totally convinced, but I'll certainly watch the next game he's in from a different angle. ( before anyone else alludes to it, no not completely flat on my back Smiley
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 00:27:33 »

Quality stuff that, not totally convinced, but I'll certainly watch the next game he's in from a different angle. ( before anyone else alludes to it, no not completely flat on my back Smiley

Good article, but the main point, as it refers to, is that stats don't tell the whole story. I remember when Wise stood by Pook because he would always block the passing routes. The same could probably be said Matt Hewlett. Risssr does the same.... Thats not to say I think he is worth a place... I don't think he is a starter, but he contributes.more than his stats suggest. PDC is many things, but he is not so tactically naive to pick someone as bad.as those numbers make him out to be.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 09:15:23 »

Good article, but the main point, as it refers to, is that stats don't tell the whole story. I remember when Wise stood by Pook because he would always block the passing routes. The same could probably be said Matt Hewlett. Risssr does the same.... Thats not to say I think he is worth a place... I don't think he is a starter, but he contributes.more than his stats suggest. PDC is many things, but he is not so tactically naive to pick someone as bad.as those numbers make him out to be.
Good post moonraker.  I would prefer that Washbag to actually support the players instead of trying to destroy one of them!
the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 09:24:21 »

Good post moonraker.  I would prefer that Washbag to actually support the players instead of trying to destroy one of them!

We are hardly "trying to destroy one of them". Not sure what you mean?

Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 09:45:27 »

I guess you didn't read the whole blog post.

It's an excellent article and in no way puts a negative spin on Risser's contribution.
If you read the first third then maybe it seems that way.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 10:41:26 »

Try reading the article. Or even just the conclusion. Tell you what, I'll put it here for you in case clicking a link would cause too much of a delay the process of you jumping to unfounded assumptions and criticisms of others' efforts.

The ultimate problem is that it is a position that can’t really be counted in passes made, only in opposition passes not made. For the player isn’t a marker or a tackler, they are a deterrent. So Risser’s role is not to make dramatic interceptions but to push the opposition into playing passes sideways and backwards, into areas in which they can’t threaten Swindon’s goal. And Huddersfield did exactly that: the ball was shifted to the two wingers, who were in turn were nullified by Paul Caddis and Callum Kennedy, resulting in the League One side only managed three shots on target throughout the entire game. And, using that score at least, and the fact that the game ended Swindon 4 Huddesfield 1, Oliver Risser is clearly doing more than just making up the numbers.

Great article Ron. Will certainly be putting your analysis to the test when I next see Risser play!
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 10:41:59 »

I guess you didn't read the whole blog post.

It's an excellent article and in no way puts a negative spin on Risser's contribution.
If you read the first third then maybe it seems that way.

Sorry, you are correct, I started and thought  . . . .
the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 11:17:23 »

Try reading the article. Or even just the conclusion. Tell you what, I'll put it here for you in case clicking a link would cause too much of a delay the process of you jumping to unfounded assumptions and criticisms of others' efforts.

Great article Ron. Will certainly be putting your analysis to the test when I next see Risser play!

Cheers. I wish I wrote that article. Credit goes to Alex.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 08:51:55 »

Timlin's deal to Southend looks done and dusted according to the Adver:

"Another player who will not be returning to the County Ground is Michael Timlin.

The midfielder has been enjoying a successful loan spell at Town’s League Two rivals Southend but was due to return to Wiltshire at the start of the new year.

However, a deal has now been agreed between the two clubs, meaning Timlin will sign permanently for Paul Sturrock’s side when the transfer window re-opens in January.

It is understood that a five-figure sum has been agreed and Southend will take on the remainder of Timlin’s 18-month contract."

Not a player I'd ever thought we'd get a fee for.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 09:00:08 »

Lost a not bad player there and certainly a decent bloke. At least he gave a shit last season.

Still, it's a new era for him and more importantly us.
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 12:34:54 »

Nearly left in the summer for free, so a very nice bit of unexpected money.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 15:30:55 »

Nearly left in the summer for free, so a very nice bit of unexpected money.

When you take away the wages that we have paid him since July it is probably about break even.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 19:34:33 by Berniman » Logged

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
corner

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 16:31:14 »

West Ham end Robert Hall's Oxford United loan after 1 day??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16267970.stm
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 20:33:17 »

West Ham end Robert Hall's Oxford United loan after 1 day??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16267970.stm

they realised their mistake quickly then

I come from a land down-under
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: