Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs MK Dongs Matchday Thread  (Read 33100 times)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #270 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 14:55:57 »

But Samdy

People here are saying that Fitton interferes too much, now it's being suggested that he doesn't interfere enough. (Or vice-versa)

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 14:57:48 by BANGKOK RED » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 14:58:03 »

My stance is that he "interferes" in the sense that his transfer policy is restrictive to building an experienced team.
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:04:53 »

Hart is only doing what he's done at the other clubs he was brought in to save from relegation. Stopped them leakng 2/3 goals a game and picked up draws, and sneaked an occassional win. He only won 3 games in the relegation fight at Palace.

Trouble is they weren't in anything like the shit that we were when he took over.

If he'd won 3 games for us we'd be a few points clear of the drop zone!
We're in worse shit now than when Hart arrived.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:05:03 »

Its less so interference and more so silly restrictions from what I can gather.

The example being not opening contract talks in the summer. Not interference as much but a restriction that ties a managers hand. Surely if he wants to sign an existing player up long term in the summer before the season starts he has ever right to start the negotiations.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #274 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:09:34 »

I agree the contract policy backfired.

It does seem to me as though they may have learned from that though. Was Benyon not signed on a three year deal?
Lumps

« Reply #275 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:14:31 »

If he'd won 3 games for us we'd be a few points clear of the drop zone!
We're in worse shit now than when Hart arrived.

We might pick up a couple of wins and another draw form the last four games. That would make his record here almost identical to the one at Palace. It still won't be enough though.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:22:57 »

I agree the contract policy backfired.

It does seem to me as though they may have learned from that though. Was Benyon not signed on a three year deal?

I hope not. He's been poor so far - in his defence playing a bit part in a shit team but he has shown very little.

The length of the contracts arent a problem its when we renew existing ones. I know its a point that we've gone over 1,00000 times but its the best example.

Paynter gives us two decent years at Town. Brilliant, far from it! decent enough that we want to keep him, yes. After finishing 15th and Cox being sold - why not sit down an offer Paynter a 2 year extension?

Now its just my opinion but in July 09 if we'd offer Paynter a 2 year extension a slight pay rise and a slightly better goal scoring bonus he'd have signed. Then when he starts banging in the goal he's a Town player with 3 seasons left on his contract.

Instead we waited till 3 months into the season. He's had a good season and his agent will put the feelers out. Due to the good start Paynter no doubt wanted more money that he would have wanted 4 months previous because he's in a much stronger bargaining position after a good 3 months.

Would that have stopped him going? who knows....but he certainly wouldnt have gone on a free and could you see a team paying cash for Paynter...

All ifs and buts and a few maybes.

...and again, not sitting down with Greer when Brighton were interested was a mistake. By offering him new terms you make the decision wholly his. He turns it down and doesnt sign, we all know he wants to go and he become the villain. If he signs, great he wants to stay.

Have they learnt their mistakes dunno. We didnt sign Cuthbert or Douglas up longer term last summer and now can both go for free(ish). On the flip side I dont think it'll matter this summer because no one is worth offering an extension to anyway.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:24:29 by DVinho » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:34:12 »

In July 09 Paynter hadn't done enough to earn a two year extension. It doesn't mean your point is less valid, just that Paynter is a poor example.

That said, it works both ways. Now we are down we can't afford players like Dossevi and Pericard pissing the budget away whilst sitting on a 2 or 3 year deal.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:35:51 by Batch » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:38:46 »

He had done more than enough to earn an extension in the summer.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:38:57 »

Some would have been livid if Paynter was offered a 2 year extension in 2009. Plenty of people still didn't want him in the side.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:42:05 »

He had done more than enough to earn an extension in the summer.

8 from 36 league appearances, and 11 from 42 league appearances. Not rubbish but fairly average.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:52:17 »

That just his goal scoring record though. He added alot to the team that was there to see.

Maybe not 2 years, maybe just the one year extension so he had 2 years left to run. Either way I think the club were stupid not to offer him anything in July.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:57:03 »

8 from 36 league appearances, and 11 from 42 league appearances. Not rubbish but fairly average.

There's also the fact that his improved performance after that may have been down to him playing for a new contract.

Not saying that WOULD have been the case for Paynter, but there have been plenty of examples over the years of players losing a little bit after getting long term deals

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 15:59:27 »

Fair enough DV. Just saying that its not always easy to make the right call at the right time. We obviously didn't there, but with that goalscoring record I guess the club thought they had more time. But we did with Dossevi and a one year deal.

@Posh. Again not sure it's intentional. But JPM seems to fit that bill.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 16:01:11 by Batch » Logged
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 16:38:59 »

@Posh. Again not sure it's intentional. But JPM seems to fit that bill.

That's true.

As for Douglas, I do think he has missed having someone at the back that is comfortable bringing the ball out of defence (like you know who). 
It has meant that he inevitably drops deep to get the ball from the back four, which means that either he is isolated & ends up trying a 30 yard ball to (as someone else mentioned) a player that can't control it, or the rest of the midfield ends up dropping deep to support him.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: