Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What does it mean to be a Swindon fan?  (Read 11716 times)
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:02:37 »

Trying to be rational about this, I really can't think I have ever come across another club so defined by their hatred of another as opposed to what they achieved. Maybe they are just guilty about the Daily Mirror pension funds financing their rise to the top..

I remember in my journalistic capacity going to a friendly game there in 2003 I think it was - I kept my STFC links quiet - and yet in the press box they were still banging on about beating us in 1995/6 - during a pre-season game seven or eight years later.

As for what STFC means to me - a bit less these days for reasons I ought to set out in a giant rant somewhere if I can be bothered to write it and get some decent research done.

Dave

« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:31:32 »

Trying to be rational about this, I really can't think I have ever come across another club so defined by their hatred of another as opposed to what they achieved. Maybe they are just guilty about the Daily Mirror pension funds financing their rise to the top..

I remember in my journalistic capacity going to a friendly game there in 2003 I think it was - I kept my STFC links quiet - and yet in the press box they were still banging on about beating us in 1995/6 - during a pre-season game seven or eight years later.

Interesting view, but Uncle Bob's criminal proceeds were hardly destined for OUFC's coffers! He had plenty of other financial gaps that needed plugging!

To your second point, it certainly does appear the hatred runs more strongly south west down the A420. It also seems to run deep. Youngsters on our forum at least claim to hate you, although this may be bravado.

To an extent it's a few strong-willed, bile-laden "old skool" people keeping it going and spreading it to anyone who'll listen. Some of the stories I have heard about previous "engagements" are laughably unbelievable, but many do ring true, especially when it's admitted by our side that Oxford came off worse. The more these stories circulate the more ingrained the hatred gets.

Personally, I would make two comments -

1. There will be little if any actual confrontation at either game, but plenty of noise and abuse. Policing and CCTV will see to that;

2. I cannot buy in to this hatred, although I know intelligent, sanguine people who do. When you ask the diehards whether they really "hate" a four year old in a Swindon shirt they bluster and change the subject.
Spencer_White

« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:47:37 »

It's not delusional, it's just pointless bollocks.

That you are completely obsessed with, like most hardcore Pox fans.
Dave

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:52:07 »

That you are completely obsessed with, like most hardcore Pox fans.

Yep, it's all I think about. Scummer.  Girl Giggle
DMR

« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:53:12 »

Surely being a Swindon fan is no different to being the supporter of any other cunting club?

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:57:19 »

Surely being a Swindon fan is no different to being the supporter of any other cunting club?

four pages until the simple question was answered.
Thread clogged up with oxford shit
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 08:59:16 »

Interesting view, but Uncle Bob's criminal proceeds were hardly destined for OUFC's coffers! He had plenty of other financial gaps that needed plugging!

With my journalistic hat on, why let the mere facts get in the way of a cheap shot at your rivals? Interesting to hear the reverse view nonetheless..

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 09:24:23 »

Trying to be rational about this, I really can't think I have ever come across another club so defined by their hatred of another as opposed to what they achieved.

Certainly a ring of truth to that.  My love of STFC is the most important point for me; dislike of other clubs, Oxford included, comes well down the list.  As a group of fans, I do agree that a lot of Oxford fans would struggle to say the same.  (Don't want to tar all with the same brush, however.  The geriatric idiots on the Oxford site need to take a good look at themselves, but others like Eric and oxfordfan seems decent enough.)

As for what STFC means to me - a bit less these days for reasons I ought to set out in a giant rant somewhere if I can be bothered to write it and get some decent research done.

I think your avatar gives the game away a little!

I cannot buy in to this hatred, although I know intelligent, sanguine people who do. When you ask the diehards whether they really "hate" a four year old in a Swindon shirt they bluster and change the subject.

Some sense!  Good point.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 09:56:28 »

What a shame this thread has turned out to be `what does it mean to be a Swindon fan in relation to Oxford Utd` what a waste I wanted to write about my first ever game of live football was Swindon Town v Charlton and Swindon won. In spite of having an older brother who supported Tottenham, who I had followed up to that point, the game had a profound affect on me and as as result I have never really been able to truely support any other team. Never lived in Swindon, always thought the place was a complete dump but couldn`t get enough of watching Swindon play. For better for worse....now my son who is at Swansea Uni - Barns Turner - is carrying on the mantel of being a Swindon Town fan. As I had, of course, had to take him to his first game of football so I could share with him the life experience of being a true football fan.
Oxford Utd is in the mix of being a football fan, just dissapointed that this thread didnt take off as it should have done. 

Bathtime
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 10:05:42 »

For me, it's a mainly social thing.  Over the years, I've met a lot of people through football who I still see today.  I've not lived in Swindon for many years, so the football gives me two things in the main:

• A link with the place where I grew up.  (Still have other friends in the area, but it all helps.)
  • A decent day out in Swindon every so often.  Starts the minute I leave the house, train journey, meeting friends in the Glue Pot.  I suppose the football is just another part of the day - but it's the excuse that I need.

And of course, lots of memories.
AndyWells

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 11:09:42 »

Perhaps you are right to a point. However there are variations in clubs and club supporters though. The obvious and most example example would be if this question was posted on a Rangers or Celtic forum. Franchise fans also would be interesting to ask. Spurs historically have a large Jewish background and teams like Liverpool and Man United were prominently supported in the earlier days by the Irish immigrants who moved to the UK during periods in the industrial revolution and needed a way to be part of the community and have an identity. I'm a Swindon lad who grew up in the town and supported the club. Never going to try and claim to be as patriotic as many of the people on here but I'm just curious to understand what a Swindon supporter is? Do people need to support Town to feel part of the community and create an identity for themselves? At the clubs peak the best part of 30,000 was turning up for each game in the early 1970s. Mostly from the Railway works and places like Rover as it was the thing to do, you'd work all week and then go with your work mates to the game on a Saturday when the factory was closed with a certain amount of pride about your job and the place you lived in. Anyone think that kind of mentality has left the supporters at the County Ground these days? I must admit myself I found going to games in my late teens and early twenties with a whole group of my mate who I went to school with and worked a great buzz. There was a pride about who we were and where we were from. I've never managed to feel that at any game I've watched in Swansea. Only England games and going to the Nou Camp have given me a similar feeling to when watching Town play. Anyone else feel pride when supporting Swindon?
iffy

« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 11:10:33 »

Haha! A masters degree at that. It's human geography and social and cultural identity. Football is a big part of popular culture and society today and in many people's opinions is as relevant and influential as religion, ethnic groups and other subcultures.

Good answer and fair points. You sound like a bright guy, but it doesn't change the point that people currently in UK HE are getting the shitty end of the stick with crap courses, huge fees and no jobs at the end of it whilst China and India are turning out engineers and scientists by the thousand. Frankly, given the economics of university at the moment, I'd be tempted to borrow an equivalent amount of money and open a Subway franchise.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 11:10:59 »

Franchise fans

There's an oxymoron if ever I saw one.
AndyWells

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 11:27:19 »

Good answer and fair points. You sound like a bright guy, but it doesn't change the point that people currently in UK HE are getting the shitty end of the stick with crap courses, huge fees and no jobs at the end of it whilst China and India are turning out engineers and scientists by the thousand. Frankly, given the economics of university at the moment, I'd be tempted to borrow an equivalent amount of money and open a Subway franchise.

I agree. I finish at the end of September and hopefully will have Ma at the end of my name but that is no guarantee of a job and my debt from 4 years pretty substantial despite working throughout my whole time at uni and several years beforehand in order to go in the first place. Ironically we've been training most of those Indian and Chinese engineers and scientists at our Universities as they have been paying the full fees that subsidise many of the British kids at uni. The standard of teaching and courses is still good at most universities and so are the courses. The Crappy courses tend to be at a lot of the old polytechnics and small Universities. (But not exclusively) It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future. The amount it's going to cost to go might mean your idea of opening a Subway isn't a bad one at all.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 11:45:39 »

You might like to include paragraphs in the aforementioned paper.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: