Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 46   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wilson Out  (Read 80775 times)
Lumps

« Reply #555 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 12:30:55 »

Everyone has their own tipping point. Yours was just before theirs (ours).

To explain why I'm changing my mind its not just on the defeat, but the way it all came about:
   - Bizaare starting lineups (Rose left wing, rookie defender over Cuthbert)
   - Bizaare substitutions (leaving it to 1 minute past HT. Prutton on right then move again)
   - Bizaare Wilson post-match interview (the problem is up front)
   - Conceeding another 3 goals while "playing well" (I thought we had started to turn the corner and Bournemouth was just unlucky)

It kind of hit home how much do do we are in, not because of the pointage. But because of the seemingly lack of improvement, ideas and constant tinkering.

But what I will say is that we are NOT down yet. It is perfectly possible to stay up while Rovers, Plymouth and Exeter are also useless. It is perfectly possible Walsall's run will end. It is possible we will improve, even if this is down to 'luck' or new players settling in (Benyon and Obiyka/Misun).

It ain't over 'til its over.

My question really is whether that is any different to any one of a dozen games this season. They seem to be the same complaints that others have made since... well since the last time we played Orient.

I know it's still not over, and the little run of managing to at least keep clean sheets did give me some hope that we could scrape our way through this season and put our house in order come teh summer, but even that seems to have been undone now.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 12:32:21 »

To explain why I'm changing my mind its not just on the defeat, but the way it all came about:
   - Bizaare starting lineups (Rose left wing, rookie defender over Cuthbert)
   - Bizaare substitutions (leaving it to 1 minute past HT. Prutton on right then move again)
   - Bizaare Wilson post-match interview (the problem is up front)
   - Conceeding another 3 goals while "playing well" (I thought we had started to turn the corner and Bournemouth was just unlucky)

It kind of hit home how much do do we are in, not because of the pointage. But because of the seemingly lack of improvement, ideas and constant tinkering.

But what I will say is that we are NOT down yet. It is perfectly possible to stay up while Rovers, Plymouth and Exeter are also useless. It is perfectly possible Walsall's run will end. It is possible we will improve, even if this is down to 'luck' or new players settling in (Benyon and Obiyka/Misun).

It ain't over 'til its over.

That’s pretty much how I feel today.

Although the last point bullet point (“playing well”) does have seem to have some validity based on the views of some people at the game.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:06:19 »

My question really is whether that is any different to any one of a dozen games this season.

No it isn't. That's the point which started to change my mind.

The last three home games were 0-0, 0-0, 1-1. I thought we were at last starting to build a solid base from which we could adjust and become more offensive.

But we've let 6 in over two away games. For the umpteenth time. And we seem incapable of changing it. Hence my optimism has completely drained away. Hope I'm wrong (obviously).
Lumps

« Reply #558 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:08:32 »

Hope I'm wrong (obviously).

So do I mate, so do I
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:09:54 »

Dead Man Walking.

I like to think I'm very patient when it comes to managers (I even stuck up for Malpas longer than most!) but Wilson's situation is now untenable.

I think a lot of us are resigned to a bottom 4 finish if he remains in charge, as nothing he does seems to work.

I'm not going to call him a cunt, or lose my rag with him, as I genuinely think he's a decent manager. But, whatever the reason(s), he can't seem to get the squad HE assembled clicking.

He should go, but the players should take a long hard look at themselves as well.

It's All Good..............
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #560 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:12:56 »

Dead Man Walking.

I like to think I'm very patient when it comes to managers (I even stuck up for Malpas longer than most!) but Wilson's situation is now untenable.

I think a lot of us are resigned to a bottom 4 finish if he remains in charge, as nothing he does seems to work.

I'm not going to call him a cunt, or lose my rag with him, as I genuinely think he's a decent manager. But, whatever the reason(s), he can't seem to get the squad HE assembled clicking.

He should go, but the players should take a long hard look at themselves as well.

Totally correct.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:17:00 »

I've never understood the Paul Trollope thing. He's someone who has already been sacked from a club in our division. As I said before, I don't like the guy but I would offer Dennis Wise the job until the end of the season. Why? Well, when he was here before every player seemed to know their role and he seemed to know exactly what every player's best position should be. He had belief and a spark about him which I think fed through to the players. He seemed to have a plan B and C and used them when necessary. His man management skills were clearly appreciated by the players which could help sort out some of the apparent rifts in the squad. I know that some will say it was Poyet who was the brains behind their management team but we need someone who will lift and motivate the players and, in turn, the crowd. Wise certainly could do that. Until last night I was not in the Wilson out camp. I like the guy and wish it had worked out but I just don't see things improving unless he goes.

Your forgetting that Wise had Poyet with him, it may be interesting to note that Poyet has taken his first steps into managment and has seemingly done well so far, but Wise has dissapeared - I wouldn't want him back and in our position would it be right for a player manager or an in-experienced manager, although Gary Neville has just hung up his boots.
flammableBen

« Reply #562 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:21:38 »

Didn't wise get caught up in all that Newcastle nonsense and decided he didn't want to be a manager anymore?

I can't see how it's a realistic suggestion as a replacement at all.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:24:00 »

No it isn't. That's the point which started to change my mind.

The last three home games were 0-0, 0-0, 1-1. I thought we were at last starting to build a solid base from which we could adjust and become more offensive.

But we've let 6 in over two away games. For the umpteenth time. And we seem incapable of changing it. Hence my optimism has completely drained away. Hope I'm wrong (obviously).

I'm with you on this Batch. Always try to see the positives but that has become increasingly difficult over the last few games, and last night - while only one game - may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

After Bournemouth as you say we had actually put in some decent performances, and if a few small breaks had gone our way could easily have come out of that 3 game stretch with 7 points and a bit of breathing space.

But after a certain point, you can't blame the bad breaks and you need to stand up and make your own luck to an extent, which is unfortunately not something Wilson looks like doing anytime soon.

RJack

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:33:48 »

Dead Man Walking.

100% agree with this post
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:34:35 »

So do I mate, so do I
+1
STFC-4-LIFE

« Reply #566 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:42:31 »

I've resigned myself to the fact that we are going down, Fitton isn't going to sack Wilson, If he did i think we would have a chance of staying up but if he stays we aint staying up and i can't see him going so what can we do?!
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 14:00:46 »

Let's say Wilson was sacked tomorrow who is there available straight away that you would say I'd trust him to at least get some fire into the players and we may have a chance of survival, I've listed a few that are available:

Di Matteo - would probably want championship level and is on 'garden leave' so still being paid
Curbishley - will he drop to this level
Alan Irvine - no better than Wilson
Gary Johnson - Proven at this level
Roy Keane - No thanks
Kevin Dillon - No thanks
Phil Parkinson - is he any better than Wilson ?
George Burley - interesting
Brian Laws - No thanks
Sam Allardyce - No chance
Chris Hughton - no thanks
Gordon Strachan - no thanks
Kevin Blackwell - maybe
Paul Sturrock - no going back
Martin Allen - no thanks

So after my little list I'm really not sure that there is anyone decent readily available to help out so it may be better the devil you know until the end of the season
redbullzeye

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 14:05:35 »

You missed out Steve McClaren 
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #569 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 14:09:24 »

Gary Johnson is the only manager that I think would come to us and that I would want to come here from the list of free managers currently.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 46   Go Up
Print
Jump to: