Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: operations management  (Read 1009 times)
oxford_fan

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, December 14, 2005, 20:13:29 »

don't suppose anyone's done any before have they? i've come into uni because i've got 2,500 words to do by 4pm tomorrow. only thing is I don't really know anything about what I'm supposed to be writing about.

what should a systems map incorporate? i have to draw one for a dentist.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2005, 20:19:25 »

nope
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2005, 20:21:05 »

What the hell is a systems map? Is it like a flow chart or something?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2005, 20:28:10 »

It sounds like it's an outline of the organisational processes and procedures, like how they would organise the business to get the work done. But I'm guessing, so probably isn't.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2005, 21:54:07 »

fuckfuckfuck i'm onto the systems map now and nobody has given me a proper answer. i'm just going to make it up
Elsterap

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2005, 23:02:49 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operations_management
Might also want to add something about Kaizen (Continous Improvement)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen
Northern Red

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 15, 2005, 09:40:46 »

I did my degree in Operational Research which incorporated one year of operations management - but I can't really remember it....

Systems Map - have you got anymore information?

Systems map is like an elaborate flow diagram (using the squares/circles etc as varients or decision) - am I right?
Something like this:
http://www.iwar.org.uk/rma/resources/uk-mod/map_2.gif

Depends on whether you're doing this from a patient or dentist perspective (btw a dentist is a hard system to map - do you have other choices?)
DMR

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 15, 2005, 10:29:29 »

My old man is an Operations Manager.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 15, 2005, 12:26:27 »

Quote from: "Northern Red"
I did my degree in Operational Research which incorporated one year of operations management - but I can't really remember it....

Systems Map - have you got anymore information?

Systems map is like an elaborate flow diagram (using the squares/circles etc as varients or decision) - am I right?
Something like this:
http://www.iwar.org.uk/rma/resources/uk-mod/map_2.gif

Depends on whether you're doing this from a patient or dentist perspective (btw a dentist is a hard system to map - do you have other choices?)
well, i made up a systems map, i have no idea if it was a systems map i drew but there you go.

i think its similar to a process map, where actions are represented by rectangles and decisions by diamonds.

1,000 to go for 4pm.
Northern Red

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 15, 2005, 13:34:30 »

Just make sure you've mentioned a bottleneck somewhere - all systems have one (its just the weakest point) something that restricts the size of the system.
What is the bottleneck, What could solve this bottleneck, and is it worth solving it?
E.g. Bottleneck = only one dentist's chair - could you have two? Is it practical to have two chairs when there's only one dentist etc. in conclusion this is an optimum system provided demand is controlled (e.g. NHS Queues) and supply is constant (e.g dentist's working hours 9 to 5)
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 15, 2005, 14:50:43 »

Quote from: "Northern Red"
Just make sure you've mentioned a bottleneck somewhere - all systems have one (its just the weakest point) something that restricts the size of the system.
What is the bottleneck, What could solve this bottleneck, and is it worth solving it?
E.g. Bottleneck = only one dentist's chair - could you have two? Is it practical to have two chairs when there's only one dentist etc. in conclusion this is an optimum system provided demand is controlled (e.g. NHS Queues) and supply is constant (e.g dentist's working hours 9 to 5)
lovely stuff, cheers northern red.

just got to edit the essay now, 3,200 words down.
Northern Red

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, December 15, 2005, 15:39:39 »

Easier to edit down than trying to make the word count higher....
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, December 16, 2005, 01:38:35 »

ah fuck in my panic i forgot to put your bit in, probably would have been the best bit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: