Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CG Redevelopment Forum  (Read 5350 times)
Melksham Red

« on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 08:53:05 »

Anyone know what happened last night? Did anyone actually go?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 10:52:41 »

From the Trust site

"It certainly wasnt a waste of time though the turn out was a little disappointing.

It's still fairly early stages as far as planning but a few quick points :-

- The club and council do seem to be singning from the same hymn sheet on this now.
- Bob Holt made a specific commitment to inlcude provision for conversion to safe standing in the design although under current lefislation it would have to be configured as seating initially.
- St Modwens have said they can do better than Stoke or Reading with the CG site. "

I know you go on that site MR but not sure if everyone else does.
Melksham Red

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 10:59:22 »

Cheers Jan77, truststfc had not been updated when I looked earlier.
Dazzza

« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 11:16:17 »

That is very good news.

Very happy with the safe standing being mooted, sounds like what they want is exactly like they use in the German league with a fold away seat on each person's allocated space.

Nice noises from St Mowden to, The Britannia is not a bad stadium at all to be attempting to top.  One of the concerns I had with the old bowl on Shaw tip was that the early plans looked a little soulless.

I don’t think the turnout is anything to be concerned about.  I think most fans are at the point after seeing two new stadiums go up in smoke in recent years that they will believe it when they see something a little more concrete.

Any indication whether we are looking at a total redevelopment?  I got the impression that we could have been looking at a partial development with one segment at a time but from St Mowden’s comments it may well look like they are going to go all out and re-build completely.  

Unless the new stadium is going to be situated away from the CG then that could leave us having to play at an alternative location for at least a season.

No noises from the natives yet either, which is good news.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 11:58:06 »

Quote from: "Melksham Red"
Anyone know what happened last night? Did anyone actually go?

I was there, its a bit difficult to get too excited by last night, because of the overwhelming sense of fan apathy, incompetence from the powers that be on the Board and Machiavellian tendencies amongst the politicians.

The most interesting bit was Mr Flibble.....having a rant about refusing to sit down....and Holt pointing out as I've done on numerous occasions that the roof on the SB never happened because of the club not submitting the revised plans, it had to be lowered a bit,  so this shouldn't provide too much of a problem if anything ever happens......IF
Melksham Red

« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 12:36:47 »

Was anything mentioned about how redevelopment would be funded and how the club would generate it's own revenue from it?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 12:43:17 »

No......other than the Council wont be putting up any money, it will have to come from the Board or developer, so obviously they will want something substantial to make a profit.

This will involve the cricket ground going and athletics track, but the plan is to leave some sports facilities....bowling green and tennis courts and a football pitch were mentioned  as green space for the locals...oh and the Shrivenham Road trees and green bit.

Not sure this will be acceptable to the residents, and begs the qustion of where the cricket and athletics will go.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 12:53:19 »

Bob Holt mentioned at a West Oxon supporter's club meet that the cricket pitch is a few yards too small to host County cricket and the Athletic's track is two lanes too short for competitive usage or somethng, so a move for both may be in their interest.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 12:56:18 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
Bob Holt mentioned at a West Oxon supporter's club meet that the cricket pitch is a few yards too small to host County cricket and the Athletic's track is two lanes too short for competitive usage or somethng, so a move for both may be in their interest.

Interesting stuff, maybe that's the carrot to get the donkeys moving.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 13:02:15 »

Tthe kind of thing that worries me though is that in a recent chat I had to senior cricket club people, they say that nobody talked to them about  moving when Shaw Tip was on the cards, and nobody has talked to them about CG redevelopment.......to be fair this was back at the end of November.
Dazzza

« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 13:53:54 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Tthe kind of thing that worries me though is that in a recent chat I had to senior cricket club people, they say that nobody talked to them about  moving when Shaw Tip was on the cards, and nobody has talked to them about CG redevelopment.......to be fair this was back at the end of November.

Not another potential Johnny Doyle is it?  

That said they may actually have a fair enough point this time round if no one has actually bothered to consult them.

This is just the sort of thing we should be doing at this stage after the Tip top cock up.  

It's likely that we have a few whinging councillors vying for publicity anyway and no doubt a few resident NIMBYs with nothing better to do but if club are going to seriously hope to progress they really are going to have to cover all of the bases with this one.

Interesting about the cash Reg, does that definately rule out any funds from the City Centre re-development scheme as well?

Oh and any sort of approximate time frame or date of the next step mentioned?

SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 14:50:10 »

cricket is gay anyway! Still think that there is probably enough space for an athletcs track and cricket pitch there anyway.... just be like a big jigsaw fitting it into the space.

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 15:42:54 »

Latest from Trust site, I haven't even read it yet but here goes.

http://www.truststfc.co.uk/meeting_13_01_2005.php
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 16:08:08 »

Quote from: "SwindonTartanArmy"
cricket is gay anyway! Still think that there is probably enough space for an athletcs track and cricket pitch there anyway.... just be like a big jigsaw fitting it into the space.

If you've ever faced a six foot plus fella who's on a mission to put you in hospital, armed with nothing more than a bit of wood, some pads for your legs and a bit of plastic for the old nagers, then cricket is definiterly not for gays......nevertheless poncing round in a pair of flimsy shorts, being concerned about the alice band in your hair, and taking a goal scored as an excuse for a bit of serious homoerotic touchy  feely  may be. Oops
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, January 14, 2005, 17:06:03 »

Interesting about the cash Reg, does that definately rule out any funds from the City Centre re-development scheme as well

Although the New Swindon Company are involved in what Justin Tomlinson called 'steering " the club, as to what may be acceptable in terms of their plans.....the ground is technically outside their  redevelopment zone, so I'd imagine it rules out any financial activity from them.

Further  he noted that  they would not welcome developments which trod on their toes,  but would be happy to see say niche retailing outlets for sports being built, which could then be sublet.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: