Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Networking help again  (Read 897 times)
oxford_fan

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 14:45:08 »

please help me!

we've got an ntl set top box which our broadband comes through. on the back it has 1 socket, marked ethernet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/ben3085/CIMG1954.jpg

i'm on the internet now connected by the white cable they supplied. but we also need to connect a router and have wireless networking; i've also got the wireless cards.

they also supplied us with one of these phone things:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/ben3085/CIMG1956.jpg

this is what the back of the router looks like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/ben3085/CIMG1953.jpg

and the connections are, from left to right, ADSL, LAN 1-4, USB (which won't be in use).

the adsl socket needs to connect to the set top box but only the phone cable will fit in the adsl. the other end of the phone cable seems to go in the back of the set top box alright, should i use this?
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 15:40:59 »

turns out one of you cunts told me to buy the wrong router and i need a dsl/cable instead of adsl.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 15:43:03 »

Whahey, someone sabotaged the scummer. Beers  Wink
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 15:49:46 »

Harsh, never trust a Scumdon fan OF!   Wink
land_of_bo

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 17:14:51 »

I'd have thought seeing as the NTL box has an ethernet port, you just need a wireless access point - plug the ethernet cable from the NTL box to the WAP instead of the PC it currently goes to and bob's your uncle.....

but I would check with NTL first....
Dazzza

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 17:42:04 »

Quote from: "oxford_fan"
turns out one of you cunts told me to buy the wrong router and i need a dsl/cable instead of adsl.

It's the same thing really, who told you that?

What's that white cable first off?

All you should need to do is stick the Ethernet cable from the NTL set top box into the port into your wireless router the bit marked something like  'ADSL.'

Check everythings working by running a cable from LAN 1 on the router direct to your PC.

land_of_bo

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 17:47:23 »

It's the same thing really, who told you that?

Its not the same Dazza, cable broadband is DSL - bt and other telephone providers is ADSL, completely different. You do need a DSL router for cable, not ADSL....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 17:57:44 »

Why can't you connect NTL boxes port marked ETHERNET->ROUTER (ethernet port) using the white cable supplied?  Then plug your PC into the router using a new RJ45 patch cable. It should all work the same as it does now.

Next step is to configure up your wireless network.

You could do this (wireless bit) first, you normally configure the router first over ethernet so use the white cable from your PC to the modem and follow the instruction manual. When all is good disconnect the PC from the cable and plug it into the NTL box.  Then you should have wireless from PC-> router, cable from router to NTL box.

Simple innit?

PS, surely cable is cable and DSL is xDSL, where x is a variety of flavours such as ADSL SDSL SHDSL. So what you would want is a cable modem box, however it looks to me like you NTL box is splitting off the internet to ethernet already . This is great because you can do what I said above and when you realise NTL are shit you can plug your router into ADSL instead!
Dazzza

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 18:25:47 »

DSL just stands for digital subscriber’s line and can be absolutely anything like Batch says ADSL is simply one variation of DSL.

But Oxford is right he needs a wireless ‘cable’ broadband router that plugs directly into his NTL box using an 'RJ-45' connection.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 19:05:22 »

Just cam back on to say my idea might not work. How do NTL assign IP addresses? If you need to NAT then it won't work, the nat only works from wireless/ethernet to the  ADSL line Sad If they give you lots of IP addresses then you are fine!

Otherwise you need a wireless dsl/cable router (suitable for both DSL and cable)  like you already said, one where the WAN port is ethernet. Like this but with wireless and cheaper!

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2104p.html
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 23:27:00 »

Quote from: "Batch"
Why can't you connect NTL boxes port marked ETHERNET->ROUTER (ethernet port) using the white cable supplied?  Then plug your PC into the router using a new RJ45 patch cable. It should all work the same as it does now.

Next step is to configure up your wireless network.

You could do this (wireless bit) first, you normally configure the router first over ethernet so use the white cable from your PC to the modem and follow the instruction manual. When all is good disconnect the PC from the cable and plug it into the NTL box.  Then you should have wireless from PC-> router, cable from router to NTL box.

Simple innit?

PS, surely cable is cable and DSL is xDSL, where x is a variety of flavours such as ADSL SDSL SHDSL. So what you would want is a cable modem box, however it looks to me like you NTL box is splitting off the internet to ethernet already . This is great because you can do what I said above and when you realise NTL are shit you can plug your router into ADSL instead!
that's like german to me, and i've got an A at GCSE for german.

i need a cable dsl router. not a router with a built in modem like i think this one has.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 23:29:59 »

batch do you think you could do me a massive favour and tell me EXACTLY what router i should buy and where from?

much love,

oxf
McLovin

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 5, 2005, 08:17:00 »

I have NTL and set up my network with this:

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/117_117455.html
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 5, 2005, 11:30:02 »

i'm going for this jobby

http://www.oxfordshireforums.co.uk/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=31555&FORUM_ID=45
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: