Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dog anxiety when travelling  (Read 1305 times)
4D
That was definately my last game, honest

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Saturday, June 29, 2024, 14:26:09 »

Can anyone recommend anything that helps calm an anxious dog when travelling by car? Our pooch always pants and trembles, never chunders, craps or pisses. We've tried calming tablets, pet bed, a worn t shirt etc. Nothing seems to work.
Ta.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 29, 2024, 14:31:03 »

Ketamine?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 29, 2024, 15:38:47 »

For anything like this, I ask ChatGPT. Here’s what it says:

Reducing a dog’s anxiety while traveling can involve a combination of preparation, behavioral strategies, and potentially the use of calming aids. Here are several methods to help ease your dog’s anxiety:

### Preparation:
1. **Acclimate Your Dog to Travel**:
   - Take short trips first to get your dog used to the car.
   - Gradually increase the length of the trips.

2. **Create a Comfortable Space**:
   - Ensure your dog has a comfortable, familiar space in the car, such as a crate or a dog seat cover.
   - Bring your dog's favorite blanket, toy, or bed to provide a sense of security.

### Behavioral Strategies:
1. **Exercise Before Travel**:
   - Give your dog a good walk or play session before the trip to help expend excess energy and promote relaxation.

2. **Positive Reinforcement**:
   - Reward calm behavior with treats and praise.
   - Avoid rewarding anxious behavior to prevent reinforcing it.

3. **Gradual Desensitization**:
   - Gradually expose your dog to car travel in a positive way. Start with sitting in the car without driving, then progress to short trips.

### Calming Aids:
1. **Natural Supplements**:
   - **CBD Oil**: Some dog owners use CBD oil to help reduce anxiety. Consult your vet for appropriate dosage and usage.
   - **Calming Chews**: Look for chews containing ingredients like L-theanine, chamomile, or valerian root, which can have a calming effect.

2. **Thundershirt or Anxiety Wrap**:
   - These snug-fitting garments apply gentle, constant pressure, similar to swaddling a baby, which can help reduce anxiety.

3. **Pheromone Products**:
   - **Adaptil**: Available as a spray, collar, or diffuser, these products mimic the calming pheromones produced by mother dogs to help soothe your dog.

4. **Essential Oils**:
   - **Lavender**: A few drops of lavender oil on your dog’s bedding or a bandana can have a calming effect. Ensure proper dilution and avoid direct skin contact.

### Veterinary Solutions:
1. **Prescription Medications**:
   - In severe cases, your vet may prescribe anti-anxiety medications like trazodone, alprazolam, or diazepam. These should be used under veterinary guidance.

2. **Over-the-Counter Remedies**:
   - Discuss with your vet options like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for mild sedation and anxiety relief, including the appropriate dosage for your dog.

### Environmental Adjustments:
1. **White Noise or Calming Music**:
   - Play calming music or white noise to drown out startling sounds and create a soothing environment.

2. **Maintain a Cool Temperature**:
   - Ensure the car is at a comfortable temperature, as dogs can become anxious if they are too hot or cold.

3. **Frequent Breaks**:
   - Take regular breaks on long trips to allow your dog to stretch, relieve itself, and get some fresh air.

### Final Tips:
- **Stay Calm**: Dogs can pick up on their owner’s anxiety. Stay calm and relaxed to help your dog feel more secure.
- **Safety First**: Always ensure your dog is safely secured in the car to prevent accidents and further anxiety.

By combining these strategies, you can help make traveling a more pleasant and less stressful experience for your dog.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, June 29, 2024, 15:40:40 »

You can then ask it to drill down further into any of the points it made if you ask it yourself, by the way 😊
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, June 29, 2024, 18:51:37 »

Can anyone recommend anything that helps calm an anxious dog when travelling by car? Our pooch always pants and trembles, never chunders, craps or pisses. We've tried calming tablets, pet bed, a worn t shirt etc. Nothing seems to work.
Ta.

Start off with short journeys no more than 5 minutes.
Get the dogs confidence with you and itself.
What breed of dog is it and how old? - very poignant.

I’ve had working Labs and ironically my current one struggled at first, trembling wreck.
Now knows when the tailgate is down it’s fun time, either a walk, swim etc.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, June 29, 2024, 18:58:30 »

3 year old cockapoo. Been all over the country but still the same.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 30, 2024, 00:15:05 »

3 year old cockapoo. Been all over the country but still the same.

It’s a cockapoo thing - we’ve had dogs before never a problem, in fact an effort to keep them out of the car but the cockapoo just hates the sight of the car and trembles when he is in it but the minute you arrive at the location the whole journey is forgotten and he’s as happy as Larry.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 30, 2024, 09:38:50 »

Yep, exactly the same
Peter Venkman
Is totally unexceptional

Perfection is not attainable

« Reply #8 on: Monday, July 1, 2024, 11:05:35 »

Our Poodle cross (who sadly died in December) was like it all of his 12 years, nothing ever helped.

Well, we know where we're goin'
But we don't know where we've been
And we know what we're knowin'
But we can't say what we've seen
And we're not little children
And we know what we want
And the future is certain
Give us time to work it out
GTXMagnatec

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, July 1, 2024, 14:46:39 »

Our 5 year old Spaniel will sometimes jump in the car and sit there quite happy and contented and drift off to sleep, other times she does not want to go in, sits up and pants away like a chuffin train!  No idea what goes on in her daft but lovable brain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: