Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Doncaster Rovers pre match drivel and matchday thread  (Read 10422 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 14, 2024, 20:36:38 »

Salford 2 up on Stockport.

The noose is tightening.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 14, 2024, 20:37:28 »

I thought for the most part the January recruitment was decent tbh

Yes, but then the Swindon effect kicked in and dragged them down to our level.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 14, 2024, 20:57:48 »

can see where you're coming from. McCarthy, glatzel, mcgurk definitely good additions, Drinen just starting to click too.

Johnson unknown and poor old Harry McKirdy just wasn't near ready enough imo.

But we did neglect midfield and it's biting hard.

Yeah, not getting in any sort of DM has hit us hard for about the last 5-6 windows now.

El Bouzedi looks a decent addition as well.

I’d like to see all those acquired in January here next season (however unrealistic that maybe) for me it’s centre midfield that needs gutting and rebuilding. Khan, McEachran, Cain, Devoy, Aguiar - I’d probably only keep one of those…
adje

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 14, 2024, 21:40:34 »

Yeah, not getting in any sort of DM has hit us hard for about the last 5-6 windows now.

El Bouzedi looks a decent addition as well.

I’d like to see all those acquired in January here next season (however unrealistic that maybe) for me it’s centre midfield that needs gutting and rebuilding. Khan, McEachran, Cain, Devoy, Aguiar - I’d probably only keep one of those…
Definitely ditch Khan and Aguiar I agree. I'd keep McEachran and Devoy if possible. Devoy has something about him , good technique and has a killer ball in him. McEachran has had a poor run but has performed well in the past ( and one of our better players Tuesday I thought). Cain I can't make out. He has promise but should have had more game time. Definitely need 2 recruits in that middle though. Agree on the Jan recruits too keep all if possible
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 14, 2024, 21:53:11 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, March 14, 2024, 22:04:35 »

Quote from: DiV
for me it’s centre midfield that needs gutting and rebuilding. Khan, McEachran, Cain, Devoy, Aguiar - I’d probably only keep one of those…

I wouldn't be disappointed to see them all off. Bit harsh maybe on Cain as he's never really been given a run.

I say that, but I'd still have no faith in better replacements being found
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, March 14, 2024, 22:06:33 »

Personally I’d offload Khan. It’s been nearly 2 years as he’s shown no signs of improvement or he has the mental capacity to improve. Technically he’s ok but has no positional sense or discipline to play any role within the midfield - if he was going to acquire that footballing nous he would have by now. IMO he’s gone way past the development stage. We have the same in defence with Brewitt and the same up front with RHM. I think upfront is the only place you can get away with lacking discipline & positional sense as it’s becomes unpredictable & less costly that high up the pitch.

Aguiar would have kicked on if he was going to. Devoy doesn’t have much about him and isn’t ours. McEachran would probably look a much better player in a different team but can’t see what he really adds to us would consider keeping him but not a priority. Cain 18 months and other than being left footed and a decent free kick taker - no nothing about him. I’d probably consider keeping him and giving him a run but I wouldn’t keep both him & McEacheran….and unpopular opinion perhaps but I’d still take Ronan Darcy over all of them….
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, March 14, 2024, 22:09:03 »

I wouldn't be disappointed to see them all off. Bit harsh maybe on Cain as he's never really been given a run.

I say that, but I'd still have no faith in better replacements being found

I think we’ve managed to upgrade the defence & attack in the last window - so I have a tiny bit of faith we can do the same for the midfield but all of that really hinges on getting the right type of midfielder in - which we seemingly have avoided signing for 3 seasons now for reasons…
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, March 15, 2024, 00:05:36 »

I think we’ve managed to upgrade the defence & attack in the last window - so I have a tiny bit of faith we can do the same for the midfield but all of that really hinges on getting the right type of midfielder in - which we seemingly have avoided signing for 3 seasons now for reasons…

Attack, I think so.  Defence, not long term.  McCarthy is better than anything we have but he isn't ours, so he isn't gooing to add much for next season.

I think McKirdy was a PR waste.  McGurk puzzles me - seems to have talent but can't play more than a few minutes it seems.  Drinan I don't fancy at all, but I understand the option when you have Austin in the squad.  Elbouzedi - if he was a long term signing I'd get it, but he is a loan as well.  Too rough when you have 10 other rough nuggets as well.

The entire midfield can bugger off and I wouldn't lose any sleep.  There really isn't anyone to build around there.  Devoy I can imagine bobbing between L2 clubs for a couple of seasons and then drifting away down the leagues.  Glad he is only on loan.

Overall, we will be in total rebuild mode, again.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, March 15, 2024, 09:17:20 »

Best of the signings we made in January are Glatzel and McGurk but I imagine they'll be moved on like Wakeling was if they continue to impress.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, March 15, 2024, 10:23:20 »

McGurk puzzles me - seems to have talent but can't play more than a few minutes it seems. 

A modern day Anthony McNamee
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, March 15, 2024, 13:49:22 »

I think they tried to offload Khan in Jan and there wasn't any bites.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, March 16, 2024, 09:22:32 »

For the first time in a long long time, when Saturday comes I had no idea of who we were playing! Pre-season I actually fancied Donny to do quite well, they've kept faith with Grant McCann so obviously feel they'll improve next season.

On paper it's an eminently winnable game, on the SN1 surface, who the fuck knows.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, March 16, 2024, 09:25:47 »

[sarcasm]
Really look forward to this
 [/sarcasm]
adje

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, March 16, 2024, 10:08:40 »

One day we're gonna smash someone 5-4.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #29 on: Saturday, March 16, 2024, 10:55:37 »

Not sure I could be less excited by the prospect of watching Swindon at the moment, but I still will of course.

I just go into games excpecting defeat now and anything else is a bonus.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: