Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Women Thread  (Read 4267 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 18, 2023, 11:17:10 »

Seeing as the club is pushing this reasonably hard, I thought it might be good to have a thread for the Women's team at least and we'll see how it goes. Easy enough for those who aren't interested to ignore, and I'm not going to pretend I'll do much more than follow the results for now, but anyone wearing an STFC shirt deserves success in my book.

Season starts this Sunday against Abingdon at Foundation Park. Lots of new signings, including players who've dropped down from the divisions above - on paper at least, we're throwing a bit of money at promotion (relative to what 'big spending' means in the context of the women's lower tiers).

Game kicks off 2:45 because of the World Cup final (fair enough).
Laddy in Red

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 18, 2023, 12:15:44 »

Potentially a tricky division to get out of, last season Exeter lost out despite only losing twice and drawing once. Hopefully a competitive team this season and see if the crowds come to watch.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 18, 2023, 12:24:57 »

Yeah I had to look up the league structure. The top two tiers (WSL, Championship) are national with 12 teams, then there's North/South third tiers of 12 teams and below those third tiers, four fourth tier National Leagues with Swindon in the D1 South West.

Last year's South West D1 was won by Cardiff, with Exeter second exactly even on points having lost only two games and not going up - it's one up, one down with no playoffs. Town came 6th. Interesting mixture of teams in the division with some big names - Southampton, Bournemouth and some local sides like Portishead Town and Keynsham.

I'm sorry to report that Oxford Ladies play in the division above.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 18, 2023, 12:41:43 »

Went to two of the three Women’s games at the CG last season.

Honestly, less of a ‘let’s support Women’s football’ and more of a ‘let’s see how a 4 year gets on with going to the CG & sitting relatively still for 90 minutes’

Both games they lost Plymouth cup & Southampton league if I recall. Plymouth were clearly street ahead all over the pitch but looks like half the team is new. The STFC Women’s account keeps appearing on my Twitter feed & I keep looking out for an actual squad list to see who is / isn’t there from last season.

I was tempted to go to a few more but whilst a few of their home games are at Foundation Park a lot last season were in Fairford which whilst not a million miles away adds to fair bit to a lazy Sunday journey.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 18, 2023, 13:35:38 »

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/teams/women/

I thought the squad list on the women's site would be up to date, but there are definitely signings announced on Twitter missing. A fair few of the names I recognise from last season, not least Viveash's niece (I think) and Annie Colston who seems to be the star striker.

Looks like former TEF sponsee Annie Martin has left though, so good to see that the sponsorship curse works on the women's team too.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 18, 2023, 15:18:37 »

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/teams/women/

I thought the squad list on the women's site would be up to date, but there are definitely signings announced on Twitter missing. A fair few of the names I recognise from last season, not least Viveash's niece (I think) and Annie Colston who seems to be the star striker.

Looks like former TEF sponsee Annie Martin has left though, so good to see that the sponsorship curse works on the women's team too.

Yeah, definitely out of date.
Definitely people there who have left & a few missing who have signed.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 17:03:39 »

4-2 victory over Abingdon to start the season, not just the men's first team dangerous at both ends it seems. Two from Annie Colston, one each from Helena Diaz-Butcher and Taylor MacDonald. Holly Randall appears to have been on for six minutes as a substitute before being sent off again, which is a fair effort.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 20, 2023, 17:07:06 by Nemo » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, August 28, 2023, 15:51:54 »

4-1 win for the women's team yesterday in what I think is sort of the FA Trophy equivalent, hat-trick for Annie Colston so nice symmetry in Young, Kanu (U18s) and Colston all getting three or more as the three sides won 14-2 in total. A good weekend for the whole club!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 07:33:52 »

a hatrick of hatricks. Tidy.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 6, 2023, 14:38:56 »

First game of the season at the CG this weekend - AFC Wimbledon in the FA Cup on Sunday at 2pm. £4 tickets, £2 concessions with only the Arkells open.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, September 6, 2023, 15:34:54 »

First game of the season at the CG this weekend - AFC Wimbledon in the FA Cup on Sunday at 2pm. £4 tickets, £2 concessions with only the Arkells open.

I can't see myself ever going to a game but I like the fact that they are now under the stfc umbrella and will look out results. But do these ticket prices cover the cost of the ground opening and kiosks and stewards etc.

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, September 6, 2023, 16:05:07 »

Here's a question for the spotters. Back in the day (I'm talking mid-late 90's) there was always an update in the programme on the Women's team and there was a lady who absolutely banged the goals in for them. 3 or 4 every game it seemed like!

We all used to joke that we should sign her up. Can anyone remember the name...?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 18:24:53 »

Here's a question for the spotters. Back in the day (I'm talking mid-late 90's) there was always an update in the programme on the Women's team and there was a lady who absolutely banged the goals in for them. 3 or 4 every game it seemed like!

We all used to joke that we should sign her up. Can anyone remember the name...?

Tracy Ludlow, Laidlaw or something like that…

Although it was a long time ago so my memory might be wrong…
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 18:36:27 »

Kerri Garwood?
Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 7, 2023, 19:56:33 »

Tracy Ludlow, Laidlaw or something like that…

Although it was a long time ago so my memory might be wrong…

I expect this was Nadine Lloyd and Kerie Garwood.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Season=1995-1996&AuxiliaryTeam=Ladies

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: