Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Astronomy  (Read 9844 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, January 19, 2024, 12:10:14 »

Hmmm, interesting. Be even more so if I understood what they were talking about  Smiley

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-68028464
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, January 19, 2024, 12:29:16 »

A pulsar is a rotating neutron star that emits electromagnetic radiation from its poles- these are detected as 'radio waves' hence radio pulsar- basically a dead/ dying massive star that has collapsed but not formed a black hole. A pulsar/ bl;ack hole binary is a system containing each object orbiting each other. A bitm of the universe with two objects with massive gravitatinal pull.

Imagine the earth and moon (as standalone objects- not part of a solar system) where the earth is a black hole and the moon is a pulsar- that is what thje binary system would look like.

One day, these objects will probably merge and create either a bigger neutron star or bvigger black hole. Either way, it would be a big bang.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Friday, January 19, 2024, 15:26:56 »

Been really suffering for my hobby over the last few nights.

I have a 'GoTo' mount permanantly set up on a pier in my garden and, when imaging, run the mount through a lap top.

The idea is that you sync the mount to a computer based sky atlas, click on a target and tell you mount to go get it.

My preferred atlas is Stellarium (  https://stellarium.org/  ) but I couldn't get it to tie into my mount with the control software I had (Green Swamp Server) so I had to use another one (Cartes du Ciel https://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start ) which does work with GSS.

I cast around for some tutorials for Stellarium and telescope control and found a couple so, I downloaded the relevant software  and tutorials so I could run them away from the home wireless and set out a couple of nights ago to give it a try.

For two nights on the trot, I tried following the tutorials and it wouldn't work. I even deleted and re downloaded the software but no joy apart form frostbite.

Last night I thought I would give it one more go so i set up and started installing and configuring again. Computer/ mount both said no!

I left the gear outside and went in for a sulk and a warm. Mrs Fuzzy asked what was wrong and I explained. Apparently a few days ago, No.1 Son (our resident tech geek) had sorted out a problem for her by telling her that not all USB work the same. I went outside and swapped the lead to a different port......

The scope and kit was covered in ice by the time I got a result and my feet are still chuffing cold!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Friday, January 19, 2024, 15:31:45 »

Your not the guy from Perrott's Brook are you fuzzy? If not he posts into the Ciren group on FB.

He posts some great captures, the amount of light you can get from the sky is amazing = but seems like a real labour of love as your last post proves. Even when it goes right!
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, January 19, 2024, 15:55:16 »

Your not the guy from Perrott's Brook are you fuzzy? If not he posts into the Ciren group on FB.

He posts some great captures, the amount of light you can get from the sky is amazing = but seems like a real labour of love as your last post proves. Even when it goes right!

No, I'm from several miles east on the M4 (J8/9).

The more time you can give to a target, the better the image.

I regularly see images posted or published where the imager has spent days, weeks, months capturing data (sometimes revisiting a target a couple of years apart). They use processes such as mono imaging where data is captured using 4-5 filters to capture different light wavelengths and then stacking and colouring the results. Details talk of such sessions 300 x 300 second exposures in OII, OIII, Ha wavelengths plus other filters such as luminance, then flats to remove blemishes and darks to remove hot/ dead pixels and you end up with 40 hours of exposure data followed by days or weeks or months of post processing. These guys and girls are artists and I envy their skills and patience.

Maybe when I retire....

Or can afford to subscribe to a remote scope somewhere in the Spanish mountains or Chilean desert where you buy scope time and dictate what you want captured then own the data.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Friday, January 19, 2024, 19:59:54 »

Yeah it's amazing the effort, but the results are too.
Graham Healey is the guy I was thinking of. Happened to see a picture from him today.

The Orion nebula

* FB_IMG_1705694385746.jpg (78.17 KB, 1080x691 - viewed 86 times.)

* Screenshot_2024-01-19-20-02-42-40_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg (690.31 KB, 1080x2400 - viewed 65 times.)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Friday, January 19, 2024, 20:19:31 »

Yeah it's amazing the effort, but the results are too.
Graham Healey is the guy I was thinking of. Happened to see a picture from him today.

The Orion nebula

Bloody amazing.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Friday, January 19, 2024, 23:21:23 »

The sort of image I would love to produce
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, January 20, 2024, 08:42:08 »

The sort of image I would love to produce

Always find people with different interests and passions both interesting and fascinating.
Very good to have alternate interests other than football and in our case Swindon to lift the gloom.

Achieved something twice this week in different places that I’ve always wanted to do.
I have had two Robins eating out of my hand.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, January 20, 2024, 09:18:41 »

Always find people with different interests and passions both interesting and fascinating.
Very good to have alternate interests other than football and in our case Swindon to lift the gloom.

Achieved something twice this week in different places that I’ve always wanted to do.
I have had two Robins eating out of my hand.

That’s nothing Duke. Clem has has 6,000.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, January 20, 2024, 10:59:28 »

That’s nothing Duke. Clem has has 6,000.

Now that was an excellent delivery.
Superb Smiley
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Saturday, January 20, 2024, 11:00:40 »

Now that was an excellent delivery.
Superb Smiley

One tries 😉
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 23:20:01 »

The moon from last night. Captured on my new astro camera. best 10% of 1000 frames stacked.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, January 28, 2024, 16:30:11 »

M42 Orion nebula captured on 26th January 2024
20 x 120 second exposures with 5 x 120 second darks to subtract hot pixels etc. and 10 x 0.5 second flats to subtract dust motes etc.
RVO Horizon 72ED scope with ZWO ASI533MC Pro cooled one shot colour astro camera.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, January 28, 2024, 19:48:17 »

Fantastic, I'm never gonna capture that with my basic set up  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: