Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester v STFC 5/8/23  (Read 30990 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 07:07:31 »

Yes, I’ve seen him, hence my opinion. There could be a player there, but he shouldn’t be in our starting XI. I’d like him to have a year playing 90 every week in the conference before we’re relying on him.

There's every possibility that Benn Ward loan was done to provide the same level of cover Minturn provided to allow Minturn to have that development loan in the Conference which he so badly needs. More often than not these Benn Ward style loans are with view to starting, but there's also been bit of an increase recently in these loans being to introduce the player into a first team environment moreso than guaranteed starts.

This is my belief as well. Minturn was excellent at Orient and has generally looked competent when called upon last season. My one minor criticism is that at times he is overconfident and has been dispossessed a few times trying to do too much.

With that said, I do think the next part of his education is a season long loan, hopefully at National League level, which this season looks very competitive. I assume Flynn thinks the same, as why else would he have brought Benn Ward, a 19 year old CB loanee in?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 07:08:09 »

It’s made me wonder about how these type of loans come about. I doubt Flynn, or anyone else, had heard of Ward. Do clubs loaning out players circulate who’s available for loan? How does a manager make a decision based on the sum total of fuck all.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 07:15:52 »

Yes I think Minturn more than has the potential to excel here but it’s vital he plays consistent minutes this season rather than bench warming if he is to progress. If he’s not going to get that here then he needs a (conference premier level minimum) loan where he can play 90 minutes every week and iron out some of those issues mentioned above but I don’t think it’s anything that a couple seasons playing consistently as a professional wouldn’t solve.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 07:20:02 »

My guess is that Brewitt starts, Ward on the bench.

Ward in the squad over Minturn because he's left footed so can either cover LWB or cover FBT.

Minturn to provide cover for UGM/Brewitt, until Flynn's preferred CB (Edwards?) signs and then goes on loan

Ward probably doesn't come in if Clayton wasn't injured.

Not sure comparing Ward and Minturn makes sense because while they are both defenders they are not competing for the same place (left/right side)
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 07:23:36 by Boeta » Logged
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 07:24:45 »

Football is back, fuck everything else, it's only back until we play.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 07:28:38 »

When interviewed recently Flynn talked about Minturn being inconsistent. I think it was the Plymouth game where he praised Minturn and told him that was the level he expected and that he needed to make sure that he consistently met it. I thought at that point that Flynn was intimating that he needed a loan somewhere to demonstrate he could be consistent.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 07:30:20 »

Think Minturn can thrive in a 5 back, where he has more protection, and can be managed through games by the other two CB’s. From the limited minutes he had last season, he looked competent, but as said above, showed naivety at times with his ball playing, though that is to be expected. When’s the last solid defender we’ve had from the academy anyway? Nathan Thompson?
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 07:37:35 »

Maidenhead would be a great shout. Still part time but in the Conference so can still train here in the week like we seem to prefer with our first and second year pro's, but be given the opportunity to play and learn at a decent level
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 08:26:59 »

Pre match venimus, vidimus, vicimus in The Playhouse.
Aite geez! It's good to be back on the road. Innit. Literally.

I love this time of year.
When every football fan is full of boundless optimism.
Today 72 versions of HMS Piss the League set sail on their annual 9 month journey.
Will ours be a sleek, fast schooner built to withstand the inevitable stormy waters, or will it be a rusty old bilge bucket that disappears without trace before the summer is out.

11th visit to the middle of nowhere stadium.
Recent visits have not been happy ones.
Maybe we are due a win here.

Won't be any surprises from a Garner side.
With a bit luck the smug facade will be a little dented gone 5 today.

So what do we need this season.
60 plus goals scored required, so on a par with last season.
40 goals conceded or less, so at least 15 better than last season.
Both of the above should be enough for a top 7 place.

We lost to teams last season that didn't bring much more to the table than being organised.
We'll have that this time around for sure.

A team with 6 league wins in the calendar year & a manager on a long winless run.
Tall order to have the desired impact & to mix it with the big hitters that's for sure.
Dunno, have got a good feeling about this team, so we'll see.

Hopefully some Man from Del Monte type seals of approval from the cognisanti later.
Or will it be disapproval mingled with a sense of meh-ness.

Not traditional first day of the season weather.
Best to stay indoors here where they don't appear to have any ales less than 5% abv.
Oh well, it's all about rising to the challenge both on & off the pitch this season.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 08:29:05 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 08:50:39 »

You've set the scene beautifully Bob😀

Clem, hurry up and sell up🤡
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 08:54:07 »

Today 72 versions of HMS Piss the League set sail on their annual 9 month journey.
Will ours be a sleek, fast schooner built to withstand the inevitable stormy waters, or will it be a rusty old bilge bucket that disappears without trace before the summer is out.

We lost to teams last season that didn't bring much more to the table than being organised.

A team with 6 league wins in the calendar year & a manager on a long winless run.
Tall order to have the desired impact & to mix it with the big hitters that's for sure.

Hopefully some Man from Del Monte type seals of approval from the cognisanti later.

Best to stay indoors here where they don't appear to have any ales less than 5% abv.
Oh well, it's all about rising to the challenge both on & off the pitch this season.

Safe travels.
Been a tough year without doubt but football has always been my companion, notwithstanding supporting this shite.
I guess like you it’s both infectious and addictive, dare get off then the moment you do the good times appear and you miss out.

The therapist in my head continually telling me it’s not the football that matters but the day out.
If only I was wired up differently.

Up since 5am, struggling to sleep, dog walk at 8 soaked through.
Lad got in at 4am thus a real bundle of laughs this Morning. Bag full of cans ffs I am too old for this shite.
Like you been to this shite hole of z stadium so many times and generally struggle.
FA cup win and a 4-0 win only positive memories.

So on the train as we speak, was driving but just couldn’t be bothered as all that A12 shite made my decision in the week. Expensive day out can only hope at 5am it feels worth it but no guarantees following this.

Train packed, pissing down outside and meeting the tree hugging, wizard hat wearing lads from Stroud. (cracking bunch) that have become real mates.
It’s when we hit the pubs it at least raises laughter but the hope often turns to hell.

Football romantic me, was always about the late 70,s that got me following the mighty Swindon. Ironically could have been Pompey but Kammy paid for that.
Now I will look at him in the wall mural and whisper “bastard” when we lose.

It’s in the blood, approaching 1700 games for what?
Relentless Misery ⚽️

Have a great day - on the travels with STFC.
What possibly could go wrong - Chapter 42.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 08:57:43 »

Still at home, leaving soon.

Personally not a bad start to the season with two games in the first week closer than a home game.

As for today, a ground I really don’t like, a typical soulless out of town dump that we should avoid at all costs.

After last season’s non showing at Harrogate hoping for something a bit better.

6 years ago today we opened with a 2-1 win at Carlisle , would be very happy with a repeat today.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 09:00:08 »

Really disappointed to be missing this one - thanks Covid. Can’t even get a response from the club re FGR tickets.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 09:01:36 »

Enjoy WB. Great to have your pre-match pub 'ramblings' back. Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 09:22:00 »

When interviewed recently Flynn talked about Minturn being inconsistent. I think it was the Plymouth game where he praised Minturn and told him that was the level he expected and that he needed to make sure that he consistently met it. I thought at that point that Flynn was intimating that he needed a loan somewhere to demonstrate he could be consistent.
https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2023/july/flynn-thats-the-standard/

"He said: "I've told Harrison that his performance today is where he's got to be because one or two games, I've not been happy with him and he knows"
-----
fuck knows how that translates to done complete unknown being a better option though
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: