Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: League Two 2023/24  (Read 7713 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 14:14:35 »

Super early for all this, but I notice the odds for League Two Champions in 2023/4 are up and the top two are... Wrexham and Notts County. Which will be a fair bit because of the hype around Wrexham, but gives an idea of how up against it we are for next year.

Wrexham 7/2
Notts County 6/1
Gillingham 10/1
Franchise 12/1
Mansfield 14/1

All others 20/1 or lower, we're 25/1 with Morecambe, Walsall and Newport, which is depressing as fuck.

Still, the bookies don't know everything. I guess this thread is mostly to look at other clubs ahead of next season!
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 14:30:05 »

I am convinced that Wrexham and Notts County will have a first season similar to Salford and Stockport - everyone tipping them for the title and to go up again only to find that the reality is different.  However the difference this time around (in Wrexhams case in particular) is that when they realise that going up again is more difficult than expected, they will throw a ton of cash at it, because they can.

I expect Wrexham to be in or around the play offs next season but then learn from their mistakes and have a real go the following season.  I also reckon Phil Parkinson will lose his job by the January Window.

If we do things right, I think there is a real chance to get Autos this season, I think the next season is going to be the tougher ask.

This is all just my opinion of course.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 14:50:03 »

Super early for all this, but I notice the odds for League Two Champions in 2023/4 are up and the top two are... Wrexham and Notts County. Which will be a fair bit because of the hype around Wrexham, but gives an idea of how up against it we are for next year.

Wrexham 7/2
Notts County 6/1
Gillingham 10/1
Franchise 12/1
Mansfield 14/1

All others 20/1 or lower, we're 25/1 with Morecambe, Walsall and Newport, which is depressing as fuck.

Still, the bookies don't know everything. I guess this thread is mostly to look at other clubs ahead of next season!

Thing is who has a sodding clue at this point in time considering that the model for most clubs at this level is now a massive churn of players each summer with them being barely recognisable at the end of August... As a case in point the fans survey thing in WSC last summer had us down as favourites for the title based on what other fans were thinking.

Of those noted, Notts County did very well, but they started looking vulnerable the end of the season and play offs, plus I suspect the lad who got all the goals (and possibly others) will be tempted up a level, the ways its going Morecambe at best look like being Swindon 2021-22 next season as their ownership issues show no sign of being sorted either way.

Its little better than sticking a pin in at this stage.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 15, 2023, 14:52:22 »

But you can see that the Gills and Wrexham have decent backing. OK that's not a guarantee, but I can see why the bookies have the top 6 as they are.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 09:13:28 »

Wrexham 7/2
Notts County 6/1
Gillingham 10/1
Franchise 12/1
Mansfield 14/1

Was talking to a few other TEF'ers about this very thing.

Obviously the teams that are coming up Wrexham and Notts County will have a large backing financially, both had budgets way bigger than ours was this season in a division lower.

Mansfield, Gillingham, Salford/Stockport/Bradford (delete 1 if they get promotion) all large budgets.

MKD will also have a fair whack financially.

Crawley have a large budget too for Lindsey to waste, probably still far more than our budget will be.

Add to this the relegated FGR who always have a large playing budget, Morecambe are in the process of being sold so could benefit from new owners in the Summer.

I would think that we wouldnt even feature in the top 8 playing budgets for the coming season so I can see why we don't figure in the top odds.

Next season will not be a walk over for Wrexham as the over all standard in the Conference is a fair bit lower than L2 with only probably the top 6 teams being able to compete at L2 level I would think.

But you need way more than a hefty financial backing to do well, you need team spirit and togetherness, a good level of fitness, lack of long term injuries and a lot of luck.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 09:25:59 »

Do both Wrexham and Notts County have the advantage of not having to adhere to FPP rules for 3 seasons?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 09:35:00 »

Financially is where it looks most rough IMO. However that’s not to say that finance = success, the issue will be clubs with bigger budgets fishing in the same pool of players as us and our business being effected because we have to potentially settle for our 3rd/4th options in some positions as our top targets got better offers elsewhere.

Wrexham can probably be taken out of that as they’ll be aiming for players probably a level up from everyone else.

That leaves Franchise, Stockport, Gillingham, Mansfield, Salford, FGR and Bradford (minus 1 for promotion) as clubs with higher budgets shopping in the same area as us. We’re at that level where a difference of a few hundred a week can make all the difference to a player and just being a big club in this division isn’t enough of a pull.

As others have mentioned though, that doesn’t mean that I think all these clubs with big budgets will walk the league (Wrexham will have a bit of a shock I think), I can just see it having an effect on our season in a sense that our 1st choice targets will probably have better financial offers elsewhere.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 12:08:21 »

Fair point..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 12:50:25 »

I'll take a top budget and risk failing on it any day Smiley

Also think Wrexham have a feeling of momentum that may appeal to players.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 12:51:25 »

I'll take a top budget and risk failing on it any day Smiley

Worst case scenario it'll be phenomenal value on the after dinner circuit, right?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 12:53:31 »

And to their bank balance.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 13:08:58 »

Any relegation odds?

Morecambe unable to offer contracts currently, if you look at their retained list under 'offered new terms' it says 'none' with the likes of Cole Stockton walking away on a free. Think they're under an embargo due to a potential takeover. Quite fancy a dabble on them to fall straight through to non league.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 13:38:19 »

Gonna be a teeth grinding season, I'm not talking about the football, but the whole Wrexham love in bollocks being around our league. Fuck off.

How much are Chester City shirts?  Hmmm

The scarf will do  Grin

https://www.chesterfcretail.com/collections/casualwear/products/i-am-a-chester-fan-scarf
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 13:41:44 by 4D » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 13:41:04 »

Any relegation odds?

Morecambe unable to offer contracts currently, league.

Do you get your money back if they don't make the start of the season.

I'm sure when push comes to shove the takeover will go through and they will re-sign players that haven't been poached.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 13:41:28 »

Any relegation odds?

Morecambe unable to offer contracts currently, if you look at their retained list under 'offered new terms' it says 'none' with the likes of Cole Stockton walking away on a free. Think they're under an embargo due to a potential takeover. Quite fancy a dabble on them to fall straight through to non league.

Presently 6 contracted players for next season, don't think they are under embargo just no one really wants to spend money, as I have noted above I suspect their summer will be similar to ours in 21-22.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: