Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Preseason 23/24  (Read 116866 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1050 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 18:47:15 »

…in all seriousness though - pre season results have & always will be highly contextual…
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #1051 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 18:49:09 »

I’m usually very pessimistic but in the 60 minutes of what was really Bristol City’s starting XI vs our equivalent, we more than held our own. Yes, we weren’t perfect and still had some defensive issues but it was obvious to see some real promise in there. The other 60 was a mix of City youngsters, our fringe players and Ward. Not a lot to be gained/learnt from that.

This Hereford friendly meanwhile, meh. No first team players involved so pretty irrelevant.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1052 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 18:52:39 »

I mean, today's "game" wasn't even one, not really.  It was a high pressured training session, the result of which is secondary to seeing who can take what they have learned on the training pitch into a game situation, where do we have issues that still need work, where are we missing players who can do what the Manager wants etc.

Friendlies are pointless - in a literal league campaign sense, but very important for a Manager and for players to get minutes into their legs under strain rather than the well planned training sessions they'll have been getting.

The only downside I can see is we haven't really played any up and at em types as yet.  We know we have some players that can attack well, play the ball about, and no doubt a team like Bristol City will have tested our defensive shape to the extreme.  However, we probably don't yet know how we'd fare against a Sutton.  We know, having watched all of last season, we seem very frail under the high ball and next to useless at our own set pieces.  Would be good to have had a test like that.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1053 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 18:52:58 »

Trialist A from tonight

https://twitter.com/stfcjosh/status/1681363720792842240?t=TUFVVkIFClibQROX0H0H9g&s=19
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1054 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 18:54:00 »

I've no problem with getting beat in friendlies but do question the opposition of the last two games and what we've gained from them even more so today when part of the line up was made up with a few Bristol City youngsters.

So, give no fucks
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1055 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 18:55:50 »

I've no problem with getting beat in friendlies but do question the opposition of the last two games and what we've gained from them even more so today when part of the line up was made up with a few Bristol City youngsters.

We've seen how we might get undone by a team higher up the league, that plays good football.  Nobody should be better than City, so we know the worst.  We also know whether or not we can create opportunities against a better defence than we will see this season.  A stress test if you like.  It confirmed a lot of what most us already know, but Flynn only got to see last season on video I imagine, not how the entire 11 is moving and reacting.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1056 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 18:56:14 »

Quote from: Batch

a man named Mo apparently
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #1057 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 18:58:57 »

It would help if some of our games weren’t publicised at all, or at least publicised as a Swindon XI, rather than the first team. But, it seems the way now that you get full comms and live streams of matches that previously we’d never have known about years ago.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1058 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 18:59:18 »

The fifth one we've had?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1059 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 19:05:28 »

Thought it was Fankwe
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1060 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 19:05:58 »

We've seen how we might get undone by a team higher up the league, that plays good football.  Nobody should be better than City, so we know the worst.  We also know whether or not we can create opportunities against a better defence than we will see this season.  A stress test if you like.  It confirmed a lot of what most us already know, but Flynn only got to see last season on video I imagine, not how the entire 11 is moving and reacting.

I imagine it was great to play at their state of the art training ground.

So, give no fucks
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #1061 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 19:06:46 »

Are we actually benefiting from these pre season games?

Arguably, first half of the city game was a good exercise for the first team against decent opposition, and the second half could be seen as a bit of scouting

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1062 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 19:20:29 »

Nah no ones got a clue whats they are doing and Flynns winging it. Those 60 minutes earlier were pointless

I can see the logic in wanting a proper look at some of the potential youth signings, but it rendered some of our lads involvement in it pointless. Should have just had a normal friendly and stuck around to watch the youths and reserves of city that didn't play have a game after or something. The likes of Cain and Darcy could have started against Hereford tonight then.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1063 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 19:21:58 »

Mo Sylla (villa) could be Trialists
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1064 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 19:25:34 »

Mo Sylla (villa) could be Trialists

Based on that picture from the weekend, it certainly looks more like him than Fankwe to be honest.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: