Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 ... 102   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Preseason 23/24  (Read 116913 times)
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #1005 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 13:47:08 »

Our defensive line includes 2x Bristol City under 21's, Dworzak out of position and Minturn. No wonder we're getting hammered. Got to take the positives of the first half.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1006 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 13:48:51 »

Our defensive line includes 2x Bristol City under 21's, Dworzak out of position and Minturn. No wonder we're getting hammered. Got to take the positives of the first half.
I think the result since the end of the 1st hour can be ignored, mor eimportant is the performances of our "fringe" players, and TBH they have all been pretty shit.

The 1st team game though we fairly impressive for me.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #1007 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 13:49:07 »

Wakeling has had a few decent moments this half.

Game finally over

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1008 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 13:50:12 »

Wakeling has had a few decent moments this half.

Game finally over
He ran around and looked lively but ultimately did nothing with the end product when he should have done better.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1009 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 13:51:44 »

Can’t read too much into a pummelling of a load of Bristol City youngsters sprinkled with first team players. 2-1 with strongest XI is a good effort

This is it, looking at it the team for the last bit barely know each other, yes the City players may know each others but in the main as a whole they won't have a fucking clue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1010 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 13:52:42 »

I think the result since the end of the 1st hour can be ignored, mor eimportant is the performances of our "fringe" players, and TBH they have all been pretty shit.

The 1st team game though we fairly impressive for me.

It can be ignored to an extent, but there are players in that group that we not just have in our squad, we have used them, regularly, in the past year.  Most teams will use over 20 players in a season, we can expect that these players will actually need to be relied upon.  What it does show, and last season gave us plenty of evidence of this, they are not players to rely on.  Add five more, first teamers, and the problem becomes much less evident, start the season as we are and we will be in trouble as we will find ourselves using them.

Still comfortable we will do what we need to do, but it is getting tight.
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #1011 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 13:53:30 »

He ran around and looked lively but ultimately did nothing with the end product when he should have done better.

Absolutely, end product is missing atm. Have only caught highlights of other matches but looks like his finishing has been below par this preseason. Hopefully he can grab one before the season starts to give him a bit of confidence

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1012 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 13:54:34 »

Absolutely, end product is missing atm. Have only caught highlights of other matches but looks like his finishing has been below par this preseason. Hopefully he can grab one before the season starts to give him a bit of confidence

I worry we ruined him last year.  It should have been a key season in his development.  His early form showed there was something to work with and develop, but we then over used him and moved him around all over the place.  We Iandolo'd him.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1013 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 13:57:07 »

I worry we ruined him last year.  It should have been a key season in his development.  His early form showed there was something to work with and develop, but we then over used him and moved him around all over the place.  We Iandolo'd him.

soapy tit wank
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1014 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 13:57:19 »

This is it, looking at it the team for the last bit barely know each other, yes the City players may know each others but in the main as a whole they won't have a fucking clue.
TBH I havent seen a single poster argue with that. The 2nd 60 mins was pretty pointless in the great scheme of things.

I just wish our experienced players could have actually looked like players against basically an U21 side. They didn't.

Ward did not impress me, Cain looked lost and his passing poor, Darcy looked disinterested. Shade, was he even on the pitch? Wakeling looked eager to run but had zero service so could not affect the game, that said he did miss 2 great chances.

The City lads and our own youngsters were there to make the numbers up, the game was pointless after the massive amount of changes.

Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #1015 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 14:01:40 »

Really positive first 60 minutes. More than matched a strong City side. We looked strong going forwards, RHM and Austin linked up well. Defensively we looked a touch nervous and shaky but for the most part, positive signs.

The last 60, made up of predominantly City youngsters, we were poor. Ward didn’t look up to it, and those City youngsters did not impress at all. Can’t take too much from the last 60. Would’ve been nice for Wakeling to get on the score sheet
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1016 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 14:04:46 »

TBH I havent seen a single poster argue with that. The 2nd 60 mins was pretty pointless in the great scheme of things.

I just wish our experienced players could have actually looked like players against basically an U21 side. They didn't.

Ward did not impress me, Cain looked lost and his passing poor, Darcy looked disinterested. Shade, was he even on the pitch? Wakeling looked eager to run but had zero service so could not affect the game, that said he did miss 2 great chances.

The City lads and our own youngsters were there to make the numbers up, the game was pointless after the massive amount of changes.

I wonder if the players that played in the second half today might also have a bit of a run out at Hereford tonight? Might be a good way of testing them when they are 'fatigued' (apologies, that's as tiresome as the 'Trialist family' thing in football)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1017 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 14:06:48 »

I wonder if the players that played in the second half today might also have a bit of a run out at Hereford tonight?
I hope so, none of them looked good enough for a starting slot, not 1.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1018 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 14:27:48 »

That's basically the conclusions reached regarding all of those last season.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1019 on: Tuesday, July 18, 2023, 14:37:53 »

Ward did not impress me, Cain looked lost and his passing poor, Darcy looked disinterested. Shade, was he even on the pitch?

I think Darcy is a lost cause honestly. I think Aguiar has more about him than Darcy does.

But yeah when they are all put together its a problem, for a game or two you can have them cover gaps in the first team. That is about it.

Still with the contracts handed out by SDM the hope has to be over the next 12 months we can replace them with a better standard of squad player.

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 ... 102   Go Up
Print
Jump to: