Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v St. Evenage match day thread  (Read 15057 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 15:23:41 »

What is so odd is that we don't have to play him in defence! It is a choice. Injuries now slightly change that but Lavinier at RB with him ahead seems a glaringly obviously worthwhile experiment we could have conducted.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 16:09:23 »

seems a glaringly obviously worthwhile experiment we could have conducted.

Along with Clayton DCM.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 16:27:43 »

Well yes you're right, but it's whether it's worth it as the overall package that divides people. Personally I think that whilst he continues to create more chances and goals than our entire midfield put together, it's worth the defensive lapses (which could probably be better mitigated if we had anything resembling a defensive midfielder). I've said the 'League Two Trent' thing before, but that's probably a clearer description of what I mean.

I think you carry a Hutton in defence if your other players in the back four provide enough cover, or you have someone else on his wing who works their socks off to dig him out.

If you have a limp as lettuce midfield and a defence made out of Aero chocolate, then he has to get an assist every game to balance himself out.  In that set-up, you get him further up the pitch and plonk someone who knows how to track a player in behind him.

I like him, I just don't like our defence with him.

Imagine him with Calderwood and Taylor inside him though........
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 16:32:32 »

I've explained this in another post but it's not as simple as 'Hutton is good going forward so move him higher up the pitch'

He won't get as much time and space playing as a right winger as he does fullback. He's often the spare man and an easy outlet in his current position.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 16:39:33 »

I think he has enough to beat a man one on one close up - he did it a few times late in yesterdays match.  That was not him just running into space, it was standing up the defender then pushing it passed him.  I'd at least like to see it, or to see him with a proper central defensive pairing.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 16:43:54 »

Well yes you're right, but it's whether it's worth it as the overall package that divides people. Personally I think that whilst he continues to create more chances and goals than our entire midfield put together, it's worth the defensive lapses (which could probably be better mitigated if we had anything resembling a defensive midfielder). I've said the 'League Two Trent' thing before, but that's probably a clearer description of what I mean.

Completely agree, a decent DM and/or RCB to cover his weakness and let Hutton do his thing. A crosser of that quality, at this level, is too good to let go imo but I also see all the shit stuff so understand that point of view. 
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 16:52:39 »

I watch the games and I see what happens and I’m happy to profess I don’t see or understand the minutiae of every bit of every player and of every formation like a lot of you, though I do understand the game. Fuck me I played enough as a young un and watched hundreds of live games over the years. My son completely understands what you all say and does it with every premier league team and player. I think FIFA on Xbox has helped over the formative years. I suppose it’s like computers to me, I know how to use them basically but after a while I get bored and switch off which maybe counts for why video games and now ‘device’ games make me zzz.

Now l hope you’re still with me. I’m sure Jody Morris has seen enough of each player on the pitch in anger and on the training pitch and understands all their abilities and cross references it with the algorithms of the analysts programmes to know fully who to keep, where to play them next season and with who, which includes those yet to join the club. If he doesn’t, we’re fucked irrespective of the budget.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 18:06:40 »

For a trip of around 100 miles each way and you are a club sitting in 3rd place in the league and looking like they will be promoted with 3 games left in the season that is utterly piss poor support.

They took over 2000 to Villa in the FA Cup so they only turn out for the big teams

So, give no fucks
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 18:43:01 »

Penalties and non-penalties, just seen one of the softest ones given for Forest which was saved. Needed that ref last night and we would have had three at least.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 20:51:48 »

What was with the mobile phone lights?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 10:39:59 »

Imagine him with Calderwood and Taylor inside him though........

Its a bit niche, but whatever does it for you I s'pose.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 10:41:24 »

Its a bit niche, but whatever does it for you I s'pose.

Wasn't there some film called the human centipede that went down that route?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 14:28:49 »

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 14:35:08 »

Might just be me being pessimistic, but that is what I'm expecting.

Austin staying or going feels much like the difficulties faced when trying to solve the ''Trolley Problem'' with a satisfactory outcome in both scenarios. IS it more moral for us Town fans because we have the ''attachment'' to him? I don't know. DV and I discussed this the other day and it appeared similar conversations had been had amongst friends regarding the pros and cons of Austin staying. Yep, still torn myself on it. I'd like to see him stay as part of an integrated coaching role and still have him for a season as a squad player. I think a lot of us felt similarly like this with Caddis and it never materialised.

I don't think at present investment levels, Town can afford the luxury of having Austin in that capacity...I don't know, as I don't know what the balance sheet of individual contracts look like. Maybe if several of the younger lads that aren't so great, the likes of Hutton sold and Williams gone then it might be something the club can do?

Where the ''Trolley Problem'' comes in is that it feels a little bit like ''all your eggs in one basket'' to some degree and is it really worth shuffling things to make a bit part player fit into a system he won't fully fit into? Whilst I do think offering him a position to become a coach/mentor would be a nice and honourable touch in recognition of his service to Town [much like Lee Peacock, Austin certainly is above Lee [as love-leh as he is] in terms of fan appreciation.], I'm leaning towards Jephcott if he can convert his recent form into at least half a seasons worth then Town should focus on keeping him; especially if he's coupled as part of two up front.

It's a decision I wouldn't envy, as previously stated and although it seems unlikely, it could be that Town end up keeping both Austin and Jephcott; something that isn't possible in the Trolley Problem. Damn you Philippa Foot and your double effect game, damn you.

With all the above being said, if the ''Fat Man'' is Steve Evans then I'd have no issues pushing him off the bridge  Wink

================

Tuesday vs St.Evanage wasn't the dicking that several had predicted and it's disappointing that Town probably should have come away with something - probably a point at least. It does show us a few things though. How shit the league is, how shit overall Town must be to be mid table and just how very shit you have to be to end up in the bottom two. A team like Crawley celebrating that they are effectively safe is not something to celebrate at all, although it's all relative and for them it is probably like a trip to Wembley. Sooner they are back in Non-League the better.

Town played ok, it's a shocking indictment of pro footy that people have come to accept professional refereeing standards in League Two and One when it comes to decision making in regards to penalties and Town deserved at the very very least one peno. I think this is where the FA fails big time in referee recruitment?

Anyway, I do think we are seeing the slow turning of the ship via Morris and Brand. I think it is definitely hampered by the limited experience of the playing personnel. Several of these players probably will go on to be better players than they are now but playing effectively STFC U23s as the main League Two squad is always going to be a struggle, for the players and management, let alone from a spectating point of view. Several of these players probably still need to be on the training ground or picking up valuable game time in...an actual U23 side, going on loan to a suitable level or at best being integrated to first team League Two games/squads on a performance basis only. Town this season have shot themselves in the foot by recruiting too heavily in the area of youth and development - meaning these types of players have had more game time than necessary. This will also be frustrating for both management and players because they all should be aware they probably shouldn't be playing at this level this often at this stage of their development. It's really what the pisspot trophy should be used/advocated for.

Recruiting for an U23 style team without the proper infrastructure is the biggest and obvious dropped ball. Had this approach been done AFTER Town had invested in a purpose built facility for player development then fantastic. Even then the first team would still need that blend of experience/mentorship/youth in order to succeed. A factor that has been seemingly missed or a massive oversight by senior level board members of the Town hierarchy.

We can only hope that by the mistakes made, many things can be learnt and also remedied by now having that experience bestowed upon themselves by themselves. It would not surprise me to see Town challenge at the top end of the table next season if everything is applied correctly. After all, Stevenage just stayed up last season via ''the Slug'' and I doubt they have changed THAT much since; whilst Town don't have to play the same way, all League Two should be about is playing a way to get out of the godforsaken pit of basement pro footy. The club can then start to think about developing talents whilst having the relative comfort of a division, separating our club from impending-football-league-trapdoor-doom [thanks Reg] but it still comes with the massive caveat of having the infrastructure in place to do so first.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: