Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wimbledon 2023  (Read 5377 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 07:50:49 »

Time for Murray to retire. Playing tennis mostly seems like a chore for him now.

If he does retire after this, he goes down as the single greatest British sportsman, in my book. What he achieved, 2 Wimbledons, a US, a tonne of Masters, world number one etc, in an era where he was up against Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, is outstanding. He’s an inspiration
Agreed.Not to mention an olympic gold

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 11:13:38 »

And let's not forget as a kid he was there when the Dunblane tragedy happened. That's a fucking big thing to happen to you as a kid. You wonder how mentally that drove him on.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 12:58:19 »

Agreed.Not to mention an olympic gold

Also forgot to mention David cup and atp tour final
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 14:50:47 »

Time for Murray to retire. Playing tennis mostly seems like a chore for him now.

If he does retire after this, he goes down as the single greatest British sportsman, in my book. What he achieved, 2 Wimbledons, a US, a tonne of Masters, world number one etc, in an era where he was up against Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, is outstanding. He’s an inspiration

I think he personally feels like he's on his way back though. Since surgery this has been a much improved year so far. I think we'll see him do at least another year at Grand Slam level - maybe two more years. Then I think he'll call it a day.

Just a hunch but I think he still feels like he has something to prove in terms of his comeback. Time catches up with us all but even just coming back to play professionally and competing is an inspiration to many.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
adje

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 20:58:09 »

Re "dumb ass" comments by after match interviewers, Annabel Croft to Rybakina "it's never easy to play a Brit on centre court". I'd have been so tempted to say "well,actually...."

Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, July 9, 2023, 07:13:40 »

Re "dumb ass" comments by after match interviewers, Annabel Croft to Rybakina "it's never easy to play a Brit on centre court". I'd have been so tempted to say "well,actually...."

I’m sure it was the hardest match she only lost two games in of her life.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, July 9, 2023, 19:50:38 »

Mirra Andreeva, SIXTEEN YEARS OLD, into the last 16. That is ridiculous. Fair play
adje

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, July 9, 2023, 21:35:01 »

This is the weirdest match I've seen.The bloke playing Djokovic can regularly smash the ball into a little box at 140 mph but just as regularly puts simple shots into the net. Bizarre

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: