Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 29161 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 09:34:07 »

I'm never totally convinced of going down the ex-player route. Yes I get the initial shot in the arm re the fanbase and that they are likely to get more support from the fans, but I think back to when we've done it before - Jimmy Quinn and Iffy Onuara - and they are hardly golden times. Yes they were a while ago and football has changed since then but I'm sceptical going down this route ends well.

A name I don't think that has been mentioned on here I saw on the FB page was Mark Warburton. I know his stock has fallen since he stuttered in the Rangers job and he's first team coach at West Ham so is probably happy where he is but there are some interesting snippets about his life that might work alongside Sandro.

* Used to be a trader in both London and the US. So not afraid of a gamble
* He helped form the NextGen series in 2010 which is an under 19 cup competition. Clearly has an eye on talented young players.
* I would imagine he has good contacts in the game.

Similarly to the Duncan Ferguson shout, I imagine the gap between being a first team coach at a Premier League club and a manager in league 2 is cavernous. 

Duncan Ferguson is out of work currently (although your point still stands)
ROKERITE

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 09:44:47 »

Its a term of endearment that every new poster has said to them - don't be offended

I'm not, at my age it takes a lot to do so. On my club's message-board  the welcome is a f... o...!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 09:54:58 »

I'm not, at my age it takes a lot to do so. On my club's message-board  the welcome is a f... o...!

It's not a particularly harmful thing or anything, but why have you signed up to a Swindon message board as a Sunderland (I assume) fan to advocate for the Cowleys when they have no link to Sunderland and you seemingly have no link to us or Lincoln? Just a bit unusual.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:00:44 by Nemo » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 09:55:09 »

I'm not, at my age it takes a lot to do so. On my club's message-board  the welcome is a f... o...!

Sorry if I am being thick but your user name suggests you are a Sunderland fan, however from what you have written previously, you could also be a fan of Lincoln or Pompey?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 09:58:19 »

It's not a particularly harmful thing or anything, but why have you signed up to a Swindon message board as a Sunderland (I assume) fan to advocate for the Cowleys when they have no link to Sunderland and you seemingly have no link to ours or Lincoln? Just a bit unusual.

Sorry if I am being thick but your user name suggests you are a Sunderland fan, however from what you have written previously, you could also be a fan of Lincoln or Pompey?

Glad its not just me whose head is beginning to hurt....  Roll Eyes

I'm coming to the conclusion its a fan of attention.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:03:42 »

Fans from other clubs should be welcomed. Even that Oxford (spits) fan that posts regularly is a good egg. I signed up to the Bradford forum during the Doyle saga and they were very welcoming. Dukey, I think, posts regularly on the Sunderland forum.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #156 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:08:31 »

I don't think "not very bright", which was the phrase Steak supper posted and I agreed with, is quite the same as "thick". Perhaps a better term would be "not very well informed".

I'm amazed you can get away with your language on any football message-board by the way. But I wish you well and hope your owners make the right choice.

The mods round here are right cunts. Proper bellends.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #157 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:10:14 »

I imagine him retired at home on the South Coast, hammering fence posts in, for his garden remodel, with his head.
He runs a very successful football academy in Devon not far from me. he has also been head of Plymouth and Torquays academies in the last 10 years.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #158 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:14:26 »

we can get a sports almanac from the past and bring it to the future

(1 poster may get this)
We may have an average points count of 1.21 ppgigawatts.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:14:37 »

Fans from other clubs should be welcomed. Even that Oxford (spits) fan that posts regularly is a good egg. I signed up to the Bradford forum during the Doyle saga and they were very welcoming. Dukey, I think, posts regularly on the Sunderland forum.

Jimmy on OTIB  Wink
ROKERITE

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:14:59 »

It's not a particularly harmful thing or anything, but why have you signed up to a Swindon message board as a Sunderland (I assume) fan to advocate for the Cowleys when they have no link to Sunderland and you seemingly have no link to ours or Lincoln? Just a bit unusual.

I'm a big admirer of the brothers. I started to take notice of their achievements when they left Braintree to go to Lincoln.
I'm a football bettor. I backed Lincoln ante-post for each of the brothers' three full seasons there and made a lot of money. I thought Portsmouth was a very good fit for them and backed them heavily ante-post last season and this. I lost a lot of money.
Their failure at Pompey has been both a surprise and, obviously, a disappointment to me. But I haven't lost my faith in the Cowleys, nor my belief that they would be a great appointment for any side in League Two. I thought Gillingham might be an option but yesterday's appointments of Hesenthaler and Jackett as Director of Football and Head of Recruitment seem to make Harris's position safe.
Then the news of Lindsey broke. Swindon Town is a bigger club than Gillingham and one of the biggest in League Two. The Cowleys committed to Portsmouth by moving their families there. They don't want to disrupt their children's education for the next couple of years. Portsmouth to Swindon is apparently not an impossibly long journey if they were to commute daily.. Two years ago I don't think the Swindon job would have appealed to them but I think it might now.
I think yours is the perfect club for the brothers to reboot their careers at and I believe they could give you some wonderful times as supporters. It goes without saying that if they did get the job I'd be putting my money where my mouth is.
I remember when you were robbed of your promotion to the top-flight. I didn't go to the play-off final but I recall my pal saying it was 1-0 but should have been ten.
One final and important point; you are now in safe hands financially aren't you? Lee Power no longer has anything to do with you has he?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:15:07 »

exactly Smiley

Who said it?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:15:25 »

Of course they should. From memory we had a very odd Preston North End fan sign up here (called Thor or something) and when we played Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday back in the day, loads of their fans would sign up just to tell us how many of their fans would be travelling down. I imagine they would have got a LOT of interaction with Jimmy had he been around on this forum those days Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #163 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:16:11 »

Similarly to the Duncan Ferguson shout, I imagine the gap between being a first team coach at a Premier League club and a manager in league 2 is cavernous. 
Hmmm probably not.

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2023/01/04/everton-shareholder-makes-duncan-ferguson-admission-as-frank-lampard-nears-sack/

Peter Venkman

« Reply #164 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 10:17:56 »

The mods round here are right cunts. Proper bellends.
To a man.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: