Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester Utd v Swindon Town match day thread.  (Read 24951 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 12:09:05 »

Some of the goalkeepers we've signed over the past few seasons have been questionable we may as well had kept Will Henry as back up.

So, give no fucks
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 12:10:57 »

We have an owner and CEO with good intentions. We mustn’t lose sight of that. The CG purchase will be a progressive step, and separate this ownership from any other. Another huge step forward if/when it happens. The Morfuni “era”, if we call it that, is being let down by poor signings, and a punt in appointing Lindsey, after a seemingly botched process. Every chair in the country gets managerial or DOF appointments wrong, but we’re lucky to have him rather than Crawley or Southend’s owners. For the sake of his own reputation at Swindon, he needs to get a new man in now though and not let this fester.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 12:27:39 »

Yet another game away at feeble opposition where we've effectively given their keeper a day off. And this, to me is the problem with SL and the way we setup. Yes we have a lot of the ball, yes we have competent players but similarly to the tagline for this forum its 80% football, 25% lack of cutting edge. Jeff Cott is a poacher extraordinaire at this level and appears to get 1 clear cut chance every half a dozen games. I can't really see Charlie Austin doing much more in this side, I imagine he'll get more pissed off on the pitch than LJ.

I was willing to give the coaching setup a chance but I think we've seen far too many games where we're as creative as a blank sheet of A4 paper. I'm no football coach but I imagine being able to setup play is easy between the boxes and the hardest part to keep the ball out of the goal and put it into the opponents net. Sadly this appears to be where SL falls down.

In Jephcott, Wakeling and Charlie Austin you've a trio of players that should offer goals at this level. I just can't see SL getting it out of them. Having Jephcott miles away from the rest of the midfield is naieve and cowardly. SL said we'd be playing attacking football through the thirds, unfortunately I don't think he's delivered anywhere near that. He's not tactically astute enough and I think the board need to hold their hands up and admit its not good enough and make the change. I'd be hoping that behind the scenes this may already have been taking place as managerial changes can take ages and we need to recruit properly this month.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 12:43:00 »

We conceded after 30 minutes yesterday against a really poor team leaving the manager over an hour to sort things out.

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 12:46:48 »

That's why I posted "game over" before the end of the first half. So predictable.

Looking at the Northampton highlights, I would say we got a very lucky result.
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 13:01:40 »

i think that the club will wait and see how the CA experiment works out over the next 2-3 games.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 13:05:41 »

That's why I posted "game over" before the end of the first half. So predictable.

Looking at the Northampton highlights, I would say we got a very lucky result.

It's not nice moaning about the same things but 25 games into the season it's hard to see things changing.

So, give no fucks
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 13:10:30 »

That was poor yesterday - we wouldn’t have scored if we played until midnight.

However there have been some questionable conclusions drawn on here
1. “The players aren’t putting effort in for SL” - anyone who saw the Northampton game and the huge defensive effort on Thursday should know that is incorrect. (I watch both games on iFollow - those who went to both games are better placed to judge but in my view we wouldn’t have won that game on Thursday without digging deep.
2. “Sacking SL will miraculously transform this squad into automatic promotion contenders”
 - as Robert T pointed out (and others) this squad is unbalanced in several areas - lack of a focal point up front being one. I also agree with the poster who says that only a couple of this year’s squad would make last season’s starting 11. It’s clear that we need some significant reshaping of the squad in January, as well as retaining Brynn and FBT if possible.
 - Secondly, apart from a tongue in cheek suggestion of a return for Garner - none of those arguing for him to go have named a viable alternative. Without that, it’s ridiculous just to say “SL must go”.
3. Clem should take a big decision like this based on social media posts - that is the road to anarchy - next they’ll be saying the team selection should be done by fan poll.
4. “Charlie Austin will transform our season” - without a doubt he will generate a buzz of expectation, and probably sell a few more shirts. His experience should also be important in what is a young and inexperienced squad.
However I had a look at his record in the premier league / EFL (ie excluded pre STFC and Brisbane) according to Wiki
-  2009-2016 played 218, goals 117 - so a goal very 1.83 games
- 2016-2022 played 165, goals 39 - a goal every 4.23 games.
That doesn’t take account of the level played at (eg harder to score in the PL) nor the number of starts v sub appearances.
I think he will score goals in L2 if given the chances - probably would have got on the end of some crosses yesterday and buried the headed chance that Wakeling had. But it’s not certain he will do that.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 13:15:11 »

It's hard to cone up with names for managers when Clem will probably go for someone relatively unknown again rather than what the bookies put out there.

So, give no fucks
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 13:22:02 »

That was poor yesterday - we wouldn’t have scored if we played until midnight.

However there have been some questionable conclusions drawn on here
1. “The players aren’t putting effort in for SL” - anyone who saw the Northampton game and the huge defensive effort on Thursday should know that is incorrect. (I watch both games on iFollow - those who went to both games are better placed to judge but in my view we wouldn’t have won that game on Thursday without digging deep.
2. “Sacking SL will miraculously transform this squad into automatic promotion contenders”
 - as Robert T pointed out (and others) this squad is unbalanced in several areas - lack of a focal point up front being one. I also agree with the poster who says that only a couple of this year’s squad would make last season’s starting 11. It’s clear that we need some significant reshaping of the squad in January, as well as retaining Brynn and FBT if possible.
 - Secondly, apart from a tongue in cheek suggestion of a return for Garner - none of those arguing for him to go have named a viable alternative. Without that, it’s ridiculous just to say “SL must go”.
3. Clem should take a big decision like this based on social media posts - that is the road to anarchy - next they’ll be saying the team selection should be done by fan poll.
4. “Charlie Austin will transform our season” - without a doubt he will generate a buzz of expectation, and probably sell a few more shirts. His experience should also be important in what is a young and inexperienced squad.
However I had a look at his record in the premier league / EFL (ie excluded pre STFC and Brisbane) according to Wiki
-  2009-2016 played 218, goals 117 - so a goal very 1.83 games
- 2016-2022 played 165, goals 39 - a goal every 4.23 games.
That doesn’t take account of the level played at (eg harder to score in the PL) nor the number of starts v sub appearances.
I think he will score goals in L2 if given the chances - probably would have got on the end of some crosses yesterday and buried the headed chance that Wakeling had. But it’s not certain he will do that.

So very much this.

Take your chips and fuck off home.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 13:42:27 »

There’s a couple of out of work managers who’d fit the club’s profile if they still want to keep on that road.

Artell and Manning
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 14:18:08 »

There’s a couple of out of work managers who’d fit the club’s profile if they still want to keep on that road.

Artell and Manning

Not going to lie after Garner & Lindsey I want someone with a bit more fire in the belly and shithousery in their arsenal.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 14:22:55 »

As, I’ve said (probably the last maybe 4 times) Duncan Ferguson.
No idea how realistic that is, he’s left Everton to take up management but hasn’t as of yet.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 14:25:00 »

And Bring Anthony Grant as a coach/player coach, that shit housary is needed!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: Monday, January 2, 2023, 14:27:01 »

And Bring Anthony Grant as a coach/player coach, that shit housary is needed!

Yeah, a coach with no coaching experience is just what we need.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: