Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gillingham v Swindon Pre Match & Match Day Thread  (Read 33915 times)
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 12:54:46 »

Basically we’re fucked already then? Or would you like to insert a caveat just in case we get promoted or finish a comfortable mid table?
Comfortable mid table isn't good enough.

We won't get relegated as only 2 go down, I've been consistent in saying that we will finish lower mid table with current management team and have seen nothing to change my view.   Some people may think that's ok but it really isn't.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #616 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 12:55:31 »

MacDonald is good at all the things Conroy was rubbish at…but…so far MacDonald has been rubbish at all the things Conroy was good at.

Fused together they’d be VVD!
I would agree, MacDonald is a good blocker/header of the ball but far less when the ball is on the ground. But then again if he had the attributes of Conroy he would still be plying his trade in the top 2 divisions I would think.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 12:58:03 »

But also...under Macari in 85/86 after 7 games we were in 20th place with 7 points and won the league by a clear 18 points!

In 86/87 after 7 games we were in 18th place on 8 points (same points as now) and still won promotion through the play offs at Selhurst Park.

In 2011/12 under PdC we were in 13th place on just one more point (9) than now and had 4 defeats and still easily won the league.

That's a really long time ago now, so is far from the norm. I mentioned Paolo bought his way out if it, Lyndsey won't have that luxury
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 13:00:07 »

I would agree, MacDonald is a good blocker/header of the ball but far less when the ball is on the ground. But then again if he had the attributes of Conroy he would still be plying his trade in the top 2 divisions I would think.

If sum it up by saying MacDonald is a defender. Conroy is a footballer. If that makes sense.
Of course if either of them had the attributes of the other as well as the ones they posses, then they wouldn’t have ever played for us in the first place…
Peter Venkman

« Reply #619 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 13:03:54 »

That's a really long time ago now, so is far from the norm. I mentioned Paolo bought his way out if it, Lyndsey won't have that luxury
At no point did I suggest it was "the norm" I just stated it as something that has happened, more than once in the past, it will happen again too I am sure.

Nt sure timescale and when it happened has any bearing at all on it, it DID happen.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 13:05:49 »

The thought of yet another season in this awful League just fills me with dread.
I absolutely hate this division.
However I am going to have to come to terms with it and I will. Still very early days and simply hoping we can rapidly improve.

Unfortunately the Gillingham performance was worse than Stockport. The Lindsey out chants would never have surfaced if we had won Saturday but that is the fickle nature of our fanbase.

We were all left downbeat after Port Vale and the only consolation was belief in an immediate improvement and making a real go at the top 3.
From what I have seen we are nowhere near where we need to be, still time but come October I won’t be surprised if we are not looking for another Manager.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 13:16:56 »

At no point did I suggest it was "the norm" I just stated it as something that has happened, more than once in the past, it will happen again too I am sure.

Nt sure timescale and when it happened has any bearing at all on it, it DID happen.

So on that basis no manager should ever be sacked as they will come good eventually.

I'm not saying that it won't and hope he turns it around and goes onto win the league,.  It's just from the 7 games I've seen, there's nothing to give me even an inkling of confidence that it might happen. 

He needs a couple of wins for sure, or it won't just be voices on here calling for his head.
DMC

« Reply #622 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 13:20:41 »

Comfortable mid table isn't good enough.

We won't get relegated as only 2 go down, I've been consistent in saying that we will finish lower mid table with current management team and have seen nothing to change my view.   Some people may think that's ok but it really isn't.
I'd love to see who is saying that's acceptable
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 13:35:47 »

I think you're wrong on the first point.   It's not easy to find the stats as managers often start mid season, but If you look at first 7 games of a season, 8 points is better than 20/21 and the same as 16/17, both relegation seasons.

Di canio started badly but even he was on more points by this stage.  He also had a bottomless pit of cash to sort it out.

To put it into perspective Malpas had 11 points after his first 7 games. 

After 7 games      PTS   
Paolo Di Canio       9     
SCOTT LINDSEY   8     
Mark Cooper         8     
David Flitcroft       8     
Peter Venkman

« Reply #624 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 13:38:47 »

So on that basis no manager should ever be sacked as they will come good eventually.

I'm not saying that it won't and hope he turns it around and goes onto win the league,.  It's just from the 7 games I've seen, there's nothing to give me even an inkling of confidence that it might happen. 

He needs a couple of wins for sure, or it won't just be voices on here calling for his head.
Yet again I never said that I just personally think 7 games is too soon, if the trend carries on for say 10-15 league games then maybe, it seems a bit knee jerk. Yes it was shit to watch with more sideways passes than Ray Wilkins. There is no risk taking, no crosses put in the box as they all seem too scared to cross or shoot and lose possession.

I do think though that if Williams header went in, one of Shades long range efforts bobbled and went in, the Jephcott heavy touch from FBT's header, the Williams miss from 8 yards out then even if one of those efforts went in then all would be far more happy than it is now.

Every one of the chances could and probably should have been converted, but we also came accross a keeper who totally kept Jills in the game with 2 or 3 excellent saves.

We aren't Watford, we cant afford to keep sacking managers and replacing them.

Did I want Lindsey to be appointed? no

Do I think hes up to the job? no

Does he know his best formation? no

Does he know his best tactics or style of play? no

Do I think he may learn that and correct the issues? yes

He has obviously made mistakes but lets see if he can actually change things. He may, he may not, but I also dont think Sandro/Clem will admit they got his appointment wrong so soon after appointing him anyway.

I also cant see him walking or being relieved of his duty having only lost 1 league game from the first 7 anyway, it wasn't for the lack of efforts, we had 23 efforts on goal with 4 on target. Our issue was converting the chances we made.

That for me has been our issue all season so far.

Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 13:53:20 »

Yet again I never said that I just personally think 7 games is too soon, if the trend carries on for say 10-15 league games then maybe, it seems a bit knee jerk. Yes it was shit to watch with more sideways passes than Ray Wilkins. There is no risk taking, no crosses put in the box as they all seem too scared to cross or shoot and lose possession.

I do think though that if Williams header went in, one of Shades long range efforts bobbled and went in, the Jephcott heavy touch from FBT's header, the Williams miss from 8 yards out then even if one of those efforts went in then all would be far more happy than it is now.

Every one of the chances could and probably should have been converted, but we also came accross a keeper who totally kept Jills in the game with 2 or 3 excellent saves.

We aren't Watford, we cant afford to keep sacking managers and replacing them.

Did I want Lindsey to be appointed? no

Do I think hes up to the job? no

Does he know his best formation? no

Does he know his best tactics or style of play? no

Do I think he may learn that and correct the issues? yes

He has obviously made mistakes but lets see if he can actually change things. He may, he may not, but I also dont think Sandro/Clem will admit they got his appointment wrong so soon after appointing him anyway.

I also cant see him walking or being relieved of his duty having only lost 1 league game from the first 7 anyway, it wasn't for the lack of efforts, we had 23 efforts on goal with 4 on target. Our issue was converting the chances we made.

That for me has been our issue all season so far.

I agree with most of that, although they also had some good chances to score from our pissing around at the back. 

It is too early to sack him, I agree, but I also think it's becoming clear that his appointment was a mistake so it's a case of when not if.   
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 13:57:50 »

Here we go again, round in circles.

The only thing that is acceptable this season is promotion, preferably automatic, play offs at a push. Utter tosh to say we won’t go down as there are only two slots for that to happen, it could with one slot. We rather hope it won’t but with only seven games in the jury is still out either way.

I actually think, that the board and playing management are acutely aware of their respective positions on promotion and will move a few mountains to make it happen, especially after last seasons near miss.

Of course the mantra will be to pay off debt and be sustainable, that is a given. But there is a but. I mentioned before that the clubs stated ambition of ground development and the goal of being a sustainable championship club in 8 years was it? Things need to happen on the pitch. In relative terms the club is awash with money compared to previous seasons under the old regime, in so far as season ticket sales slightly higher than last seasons, average gates being up, a great FA cup run and the Twine and now McKirdy money (all unaccounted for budget wise) and the club maxing the shit out of its revenue streams. The good will of the town fans could suddenly dive if we end up in L2 next season, they know this full well.

If it is not happening for SL by mid Nov and we get dumped out of the FA cup in the 1st round there will be change and the cheque book will open up in Jan with a new man in place.

SL, if you’re reading this I hope you do well, I want you to do well but the club CANNOT afford and be allowed to drift into a third year in L2.

We probably won’t go down but we MUST go up!
« Last Edit: Monday, September 5, 2022, 14:00:40 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 14:00:54 »

Let's hope Lindsey turns things around as Sol Campbell is still without a club🤣

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman

« Reply #628 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 14:01:35 »

I agree with most of that, although they also had some good chances to score from our pissing around at the back.  

It is too early to sack him, I agree, but I also think it's becoming clear that his appointment was a mistake so it's a case of when not if.  
We, as always, create chances for the opposition in every game, luckily Jills were shit in front of goal or it could have been much worse. Our best defence even under Wellens and Garner was to outscore the opposition (no shit really I know).

I dont think and never have that Lindsey was or is the right man but I hope he can change and become half decent negating the need for him to leave/be sacked.

Football is about very tight margins and we a little more luck/ability we would have been cruising at HT.

Unfortunately though we didnt score which is why there is so much negativity.

THE most frustring thing of it all for me is that we seem like we won't take a risk in having a cross or shot when the chance appears.

Wether they have been told/coached/tactics employed/player confidence but I lost count of the number of times we had the ball, passed it well about 15+ times created an attack and then instead of trying to thread a pass, get in a cross or have a shot we passed the ball sideways 4 times then it gets pushed back to our own half and we had to start again and again. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

It seems we employ "keep the ball at all costs" rather than taking a risk in getting the ball in the box or having a shot.

Cloughie said "you cant win the lottery if you dont buy a ticket.

On Saturday we didnt just not buy the ticket....we failed to enter the shop to buy it and hung around outside of the shop debating wether to go in or not.

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 14:04:51 »

We, as always, create chances for the opposition in every game, luckily Jills were shit in front of goal or it could have been much worse. Our best defence even under Wellens and Garner was to outscore the opposition (no shit really I know).

I dont think and never have that Lindsey was or is the right man but I hope he can change and become half decent negating the need for him to leave/be sacked.

Football is about very tight margins and we a little more luck/ability we would have been cruising at HT.

Unfortunately though we didnt score which is why there is so much negativity.

THE most frustring thing of it all for me is that we seem like we won't take a risk in having a cross or shot when the chance appears.

Wether they have been told/coached/tactics employed/player confidence but I lost count of the number of times we had the ball, passed it well about 15+ times created an attack and then instead of trying to thread a pass, get in a cross or have a shot we passed the ball sideways 4 times then it gets pushed back to our own half and we had to start again and again. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

It seems we employ "keep the ball at all costs" rather than taking a risk in getting the ball in the box or having a shot.

Cloughie said "you cant win the lottery if you dont buy a ticket.

On Saturday we didnt just not buy the ticket....we failed to enter the shop to buy it and hung around outside of the shop debating wether to go in or not.

Fuck Brian Clough, he’s dead and I did buy four lottery tickets for Friday nights euro millions and won fuck all, where did that leave me JJ? other than £10 out of pocket 😁
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46   Go Up
Print
Jump to: